• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

1st Hat...Bianchi by Adam Hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Johnnie, Sep 21, 2011.

1. I have a couple of questions about my hat. This is my first hat and it is a "Bianchi" i believe. It says Bianchi by Adam Hats on the inside. Also It says "ITALIAN WEIGHT 20 Percent Genuine Beaver Fur" on the inner headband. I am unsure of what "kind" of hat it is, and would like to also know an estimated value. I love hats and can't wait until my next find... I have pictures of it, but i guess my account is too new to post them. It is a circular hat, without any creasing on the crown (basic dome shape). The brim is round and very short, roughly 2" or so, all the way around and slightly turned up. It has what i believe to be a quail feather in the hat's band. Thanks for any help you can give!

Johnnie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
  2. rcfko

rcfko Familiar Face

I don't know much about hat brands and don't know much about fur felts as I only wear wool felts (no kill vegetarianism thing).
    But according to your description, I'd say that you have a Bowler/Derby on your hand depending on where you're from. US Derby or UK Bowler.

3. jlee562

jlee562 Call Me a Cab

Pictures would help. It's almost impossible to say anything with regards to value without a picture.

4. job

job One Too Many

Johnnie, There is a questions sections for this. I'm sure someone will help you shortly. Welcome to the forum. To post pics you need to place your pics on photobucket, shutterfly, etc. first.

5. I do believe it is that type of hat, doing a google search of "Bowler Hat" came up with lots that look very similar to mine. It is a dark greenish-brown color and has a green/brown band around the hat, which is were the feather is... Other than that i'm having a hard time finding info on this thing. I would like to find out its age as well... I was told it was from the early 1900s, possibly the 20's or 30's... would this seem right for the style?

6. jlee562

jlee562 Call Me a Cab

Again, impossible to say without pictures. Bowlers were popular during that particular time frame, but have never stopped being made in the time between now and then.

7. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

Is the crown really stiff or is it soft and maleable? That is the biggest indication of what kind of hat it is.

8. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

Welcome to the Lounge, Johnnie. :cool:

9. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

Yes, it works. By clicking link, we can see the photo album. If you copy and past the individual IMG codes into your post, your pics will appear here in the thread.

10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

That's it ... well done!

12. Thank you very much zetwal!!! I really appreciate it! Now maybe I can figure out a little history about this thing. I love this hat and since purchasing it I have had my eye open for more... I'm already catching it from the Misses lol

13. It is quite soft... what would this indicate?

14. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

You've got a pretty cool alpine/tyrolean hat. Put a crease down the top and wear it with pride (as long as it fits.)

15. After searching alpine/tyrolean hats on google i am quite confused. It looks much more like the bowlers/derbys i was seeing before as opposed to the alpine/tyrolean hats. Am i overlooking something? Is the alpine/tyrolean's creasing and folded down brim what makes it look so different from the bowlers i've seen, or is this a completely different hat?

16. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

It has the general shape of a bowler, but the color, band, and feather say otherwise, as does what looks like the remnants of a crease in the crown. I'd go with Yeps' assessment.

17. Please excuse my ignorance, but do the band,feather, and color of the hat determine the style of the hat? I do agree that the color and feather look similar to the German "Alpine" style hats, but the hat itself looks much more like a bowler/derby. I really don't want to give the wrong answer when asked what kind of hat it is... If it helps, I don't believe it's had a crease in the crown, or if it has, there is no longer a crease there, but there is a couple of slight dents where people have touched and poked it feeling the softness...

18. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

So, bowler hats are very stiff, almost like helmets (they were apparently used as hardhats at some point), and the edge of the brim is bound and put in a sharp, very distinctive curl. Your hat is soft, and has a soft, but currently upturned brim. The lack of a crease is merely incidental, as it clearly used to have one. Generally the type of hat you have is worn with a center crease and the brim turned down in front and up in back. It is the fedora's more outdoorsy, sporty cousin from Europe.

19. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

I was trying to find info here, much more useful than the general Google, but tyroleans are few and far between around here.

Fellow lounger mayserwegener is the local expert and he has some cool ones.