Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

mike

Call Me a Cab
Plus, I just got a BEAUTIFUL pair of 20's/30's ankle high cap toe dress shoes BUT (and that's a big butt) I am now protective of them... I can't make them my default shoe because when they're gone, they're gone! So maybe these actually are in my future..

carter

I'll Lock Up
Doug C said:
Do I love the look of these Red Wing boots that JCrew is offering BUT I can't stand a modern lug sole. These have the right profile that's hard to find.
BTW, they are described as having a goodyear welt if that would make any difference with the re-soleing thing.
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/MensBrowse/Men_Shop_By_Category/shoes/boots/PRDOVR~88346/88346.jsp
Doug C

I just purchased a pair of the Redwing boot made for J Crew on ebay for $119.00 + shipping.
175377585_o.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230303449965&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

I also have a pair of Work America 6" farm boots. These are very servicable and come (depending on foot size) in widths from A-E4. It's not often that a seller will offer this many choices in width. I have a friend who is a landscaper and he swears by these boots.
work_america_steel_toe_6_farm_boot_mens_p1_.jpg

http://www.footwearbuyer.com/products/work_america_steel_toe_6_farm_boot_mens.html

marineabilly

A-List Customer
...and my latest pair of Horsehide Engineer boots straight from Japan. I went on leave in the middle of my tour here and made the biggest mistake by trying to break them in at Disneyland - wrong move! Yeah, they rocked, but the horsehide is so stiff that it cut up my chin just a bit. Well, their pretty much broken in (slightly) and waiting for me...

BUCO1.jpg

celtic

A-List Customer
mike said:
300+ bucks for a pair of higher quality ones just is not in my budget in the upcoming future at all... and I found a place near herald square that if I bought one in black and one in brown, they'd give me the second pair for half price... not that I'm gonna sink money in to 2, but they certainly are tugging on my wallet/heart strings haha

And speaking to someone who regularly bought (mighty crappily made) creepers time and time again for 15 years... I ask again, how durable is durable?

The leather is thin, the leather soles are thin, and they scrape up easily.

That being said, I'd buy another pair on a discount just because they're great looking.

I'd also warn that if your foot is wide AT ALL, you will need wide size. The pair I had ran very narrow. My foot is between D and E (not quite wide) and they were very tight at first.

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey Carter, how are you liking those JCrew Red Wings? It's curious looking at the picture you posted... I thought the soles are supposed to have a layer of light colored leather (looks like wood) sandwiched between the bottom part (lug rubber sole) and the ...welt. Your picture shows a dark layer in this part of the sole, like neoprene or rubber. Can you comment? Was the picture on the auction like the ones you got or did the auction picture(s) show the light colored leather layer of the sole?

Doug C

celtic

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
Frye makes some nice looking boots, though I've got no experience with the brand.

Much like Red Wing, Frye used to be one of the best, sturdiest, heaviest boots that you could buy.

But also like Red Wing, Frye now makes "lifestyle" or "fashion" shoes and boots as well as their regular lines. And many of the models are no longer made here in the states.

Years ago I would've said "Frye makes some of the best boots you can buy", but I really don't know how their new "fashion" lines hold up. However, if you look for "Engineer 12R" or "Engineer 8R" those boots are built like tanks.

Jerekson

One Too Many
CaddyKid21 said:
Not exactly work boots but, I'm thinking of getting a pair of U.S. Paratrooper Boots from AtTheFront.com. Has anyone tried these out?

Yeah, I've got a pair from the 80's that I love. Personally I really do think they look an awful lot like golden era work boots, but others disagree. I wear them constantly and love them to death.

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
Yeah, I've got a pair from the 80's that I love. Personally I really do think they look an awful lot like golden era work boots, but others disagree. I wear them constantly and love them to death.

Thanks for the info, i totally dig the look they have, and i like that they are long in the calves for support. Off topic but your avatar is my favorite plane hands down!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Doug C said:
Hey Carter, how are you liking those JCrew Red Wings? It's curious looking at the picture you posted... I thought the soles are supposed to have a layer of light colored leather (looks like wood) sandwiched between the bottom part (lug rubber sole) and the ...welt. Your picture shows a dark layer in this part of the sole, like neoprene or rubber. Can you comment? Was the picture on the auction like the ones you got or did the auction picture(s) show the light colored leather layer of the sole?
Doug C

Doug, In shoe making the welt is the narrow strip of leather that runs around the shoe between the insole (and upper) and the outsole. I believe what you are describing is a welt as seen traditionally on Red Wing work boots. There is no light color leather welt on these Red Wings. They are exactly as pictured. I like these boots but suspect that they would not be as sturdy over the long run as standard Red Wing work boots.

Another modern work boot that I would like to have a pair of are the Katahdin Iron Works™ Engineer Boots from L.L.Bean. I just need to justify $149.00 + shipping. Maybe for Christmas.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

Doug C

Practically Family
ah - ok thanks Carter. The ones Jcrew is carrying right now do have a light colored leather welt then as seen on there website. I was just trying to figure out if the ebay ones are the same as what's being currently offered on line (and perhaps in store?).

Doug C

InLikeFlynn

Familiar Face
A great 1930's style ankle boot.

Hello sports, this is my first post.

I just purchased the Sabel Tip boot made by P.W. Minor & Son out of Batavia, NY. They are an old firm who usually make orthopedic footwear but this older style is still in production. It only comes in black calf and I would put the quality of materials and construction under that of Alden's or Allen Edmond's but head and shoulders above the Stacy Adams Madison, although not quite as elegant.

It comes with an insert which I had my cobbler replace with a leather footbed. They are lined with a canvas like cloth rather than leather but they are quite comfortable.

They go for around $230.00 at Oppedisano's Bootery, Honeoye Falls NY.

See them here: http://www.pwminor.com/Products/Detail/?ProductID=181

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80