Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

mike

Call Me a Cab
Red Wing Iron Rangers...

8521-647415-p.jpg

8521-647415-2.jpg

8521-647415-3.jpg

8521-647414-7.jpg

8521-647414-1.jpg

8521-647414-5.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
With those Iron Ranger RWs is it best to down size a half or a whole size ? Anyone have them?

Doug C

mike

Call Me a Cab
Doug C said:
With those Iron Ranger RWs is it best to down size a half or a whole size ? Anyone have them?

Doug C

I have a pair of Gentleman Traveler's and that's the case with them! Is it company-wide that their fitting is a half size down?

carter

I'll Lock Up
I found a lightly-used pair of the Stacy Adams Madison Boots at a thrift store for $19.99. Once they were cleaned and polished, they looked fine and are a very comfortable boot. It is correct that they are not substantial enough for work or rough-wear boots. As a casual boot for daily wear or as a dress boot, they should be fine and they look great.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Did you end up with a pair of these? Any thoughts on 'em?

Not yet! I will, I have just been putting it off since I know they are available [huh] Although... I know a place in that will offer half off a second pair if a person buys one... want to split the difference with me?

number6

Familiar Face
Red wings

I purchased a pair of Iron Rangers last weekend, I bought them in my usual size and they fit just right for me . I think you need to try them on if you can .

Feraud

Bartender
mike said:
Not yet! I will, I have just been putting it off since I know they are available [huh] Although... I know a place in that will offer half off a second pair if a person buys one... want to split the difference with me?
I would but I have three pair of boots to wear out before I buy new ones!

draws

Practically Family
Stacy Adams Boots

I really like the toes and heels on these. Very nice.

I have a pair (but plain) and like them a lot. If you are thinking of ordering, please note that they run large. I wear a size 10 so I ordered that size. The Mfg size is one full size larger. I eventually had to return them for a size 9 and they fit fine.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
what do you guys think of these stacy adams ankle shoes?

ASH00169.jpg

ASH00169a.jpg

ASH00169b.jpg

The plain cap toe version of this shoe is a dead ringer for the popular footwear of the 1900-1925 period. This sort of shoe was commonly worn by older men until well into the 1950's, and was forced on young boys all through the 1930's, as it tended to prevent turned ankles when playing..

The imitation crocodile or lizard grained caps and heels are a bit of an anachronism on this shoe, though, for this sort of heavily grained leather did not really come into fashion until the late 1920's, and by 1925 the only folks who were buying these shoes were HARDLY fashionable.

It seems that the high shoes were in most popular with those of the immediate post-Civil War generation. The GAR men commonly wore Congress gaiters, with their elastic sides. The catalog sales companies listed the Congress style shoes until the end of the Thirties. The high laced shoes, known in the trade as "Old Man's Comforts", were commonly available until the late 1950's or early 1960's.

I have several pair of the Stacy Adams shoes. My more recent purchases are made in India, and are not as well made as the older units, although they are quite serviceable for their price.

draws

Practically Family
Vitanola, do these look familiar? What is interesting is that these boots are original WWI US Army Officers boots. Notice the 3 rows of lace hooks at the top of the boot. I believe that the boot designs after WWI and into the 60s (includinging Stacy Adams Boots) were more than likely patterned after these boots. Of course it is possible that earlier models than these were the pattern but their design lasts, and lasts and lasts. A truly great design. NOTE: These originals are a size 10 and fit me perfectly and are very comfortable.

2141454250104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2724490020104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2086546680104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

dit dah

One of the Regulars
I have these vintage 40's/ 50's RED BRAND work boots from Montomery Ward. They are barely worn and a size 9 (US). Anyways I'm just about to list them on Ebay and will happily offer a discount to Loungers:

L1030100.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
I've always liked the Stacey Adams boots, and think they're generally under-rated, especially when you consider the price. I had a pair in the shoe version for a short time and the welt and sole are very nice and very old school with contrasting natural colored thread around the welt. The kid skin leather is thin though, but that's to be expected from kid. On the up side it does quickly gain lots of character and graining (if that's what your like). It's not a work boot in the since that it's made for rugged duty work. It's more of a dress boot that I've always thought would look great roughed up a bit (after all they're cheap). They even come with cool vintagey flat laces instead of the modern tendancy to use small gauge round laces on everything dressy. I like 'em alot but with that said though, I hate them with that crocodile skin (JMHO).

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey, if anyone's intersted there's a pair of ankle boots in the classifieds section that need to be shown off in this thread ;) .

Doug C

Michaelshane

One Too Many
mike said:

Do they both have to be the same size?

edmond

Vendor
hi guys ive a couple of workboots i sort of collect them but more of like im in love with the way they look and all

here's some

custom white's smoke jumper

distressed uppers and red dog toebox and heel and double midsole.
cats paw half sole by eddie's shoe repair

IMG_0020-1.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80