Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40s-50s Sportclad Horsehide MC Jacket

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Through my years of wearing/buying leather jackets I never had an interest in the motorcycle style of jackets. I don't ride. The last year has changed that. I have gone through three MC jackets to find this one that fits and is comfortable to wear. I am pretty much a 44.

I got this Sportclad from the nephew of the original owner. The jacket was purchased in the late 40s and not worn. It is near mint as you can see. I seldom trust dates given by family, but this one looks close. I call it a 1952, my birth year.

An excellent fit and very comfortable to wear. I have not weighed it, but I would say 3.5-4 pound area. Not a heavy jacket. The leather is very nice. Very little wear.

I have a JC Penney HH civilian jacket in black with red lining I will post too.

more pictures here

DSC02758.JPG
DSC02764.JPG
DSC02768.JPG
DSC02771.JPG
DSC02788.JPG
DSC02774.JPG
DSC02779.JPG
DSC02750.JPG
DSC02748.JPG

garzo

One of the Regulars
Wow, that's a real beaut! How did you manage to land a mint-condition MC jacket from 1950?! What luck!

Plumbline

One Too Many
Awesome jacket ..... well done, superb fit and amazing condition .. 60 years old and still going strong ... hope I'm in as good nick when I'm 60 ! :D

Wear it well :D

Last edited:
Sportclad has certainly been making one of the nicest variants of the style - check out the top sleeve zippers and the stitching around the coin pocket - and it's amazing to see one in such perfect condition. Fits you real good, too.

I love Outerwear. Whenever the thought of maybe giving some other jacket style a try crosses my mind, something like this comes up and I'm instantly back to normal.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Wow, that's a real beaut! How did you manage to land a mint-condition MC jacket from 1950?! What luck!

Came from Nevada through ebay. The jacket ran several times on ebay. I got it when it was really quite cheap, at least I think it was a good deal. It is really something to wear. Like I am the original owner.

60 years old and still going strong

I figure the jacket and I are the same age. I'm a bit more worn around the edges!

check out the top sleeve zippers

It is a very nicely made and cut jacket. Now one of my many favorites. I will have to post some more.

I recall this is a feature you like in particular. I thought about you comments when I search for the zippers!

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
We all know that JC Penney, Sears, Wards etc did not manufacture anything, but added their label. Who made all these jackets? I have one Sears Hercules that has the makers name other than that I don't know.

Ribdoner

A-List Customer
In general the quality level of product these and other mass merchandisers carry today suffers when compared to yesteryear.

tmitchell, yep, even though I don't find them as practical, I think that the zippers on top of the sleeves look extremely cool - and this jacket isn't an exception. I'm surprised you remember. :) It is such a beautiful jacket and the hide is incredible. Can't get tired browsing through the gallery. All your jackets are superb.

Makes me think, I can't imagine there were that many companies back in the days making these jackets - I am, in fact, quite certain that TFL experts can name them all - and this being a very close variation of the Perfecto style, it is still very distinct and unique. Clearly superior quality aside, each manufacturer seems to have added something of their own to the existing design, something that made each version special, while today, we have the entire world making these, at prices ranging from $5000 for brand names to $50 cheapos, and not a single unique detail to tell them apart. Such a shame...

edit: tmitchell, could you please tell me, what's the back length of this jacket?

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
tmitchell, yep, even though I don't find them as practical, I think that the zippers on top of the sleeves look extremely cool - and this jacket isn't an exception. I'm surprised you remember. :) It is such a beautiful jacket and the hide is incredible. Can't get tired browsing through the gallery. All your jackets are superb.

Makes me think, I can't imagine there were that many companies back in the days making these jackets - I am, in fact, quite certain that TFL experts can name them all - and this being a very close variation of the Perfecto style, it is still very distinct and unique. Clearly superior quality aside, each manufacturer seems to have added something of their own to the existing design, something that made each version special, while today, we have the entire world making these, at prices ranging from $5000 for brand names to $50 cheapos, and not a single unique detail to tell them apart. Such a shame...

edit: tmitchell, could you please tell me, what's the back length of this jacket?

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. I wanted to point out the noname cafe racer on that page. The zipps are near top on that too. Hard to tell because it does not fit me that well.

I will post the length when I get home tonight.

DSC01504.JPG

This too is a pretty nice jacket. No name or size or materials tag. Probably a 40. Feels like a nice thin horsehide with some weight to it.

Man, who ever said these jackets were too short - even at that length, your Sportclad fits you perfectly! Sure, it is a short jacket but it's not even remotely too short for the style. At least in my opinion. Thank you for the info, tmitchell. :)

scottyrebels81

New in Town
Through my years of wearing/buying leather jackets I never had an interest in the motorcycle style of jackets. I don't ride. The last year has changed that. I have gone through three MC jackets to find this one that fits and is comfortable to wear. I am pretty much a 44.

I got this Sportclad from the nephew of the original owner. The jacket was purchased in the late 40s and not worn. It is near mint as you can see. I seldom trust dates given by family, but this one looks close. I call it a 1952, my birth year.

An excellent fit and very comfortable to wear. I have not weighed it, but I would say 3.5-4 pound area. Not a heavy jacket. The leather is very nice. Very little wear.

I have a JC Penney HH civilian jacket in black with red lining I will post too.

more pictures here

View attachment 17520
View attachment 17521
View attachment 17522
View attachment 17523
View attachment 17524
View attachment 17525
View attachment 17526
View attachment 17527
View attachment 17528
God dammit!
I wish I could find one of these in 36-38 regular .
I have what I believe to be a sears " Oakbrook" that is the classic "D" pocket style and from all of the research I've done online , matching photos and such , I'm pretty convinced that this is the correct brand of jacket. The previous owner I bought it from said it was from the 1950's , and like yourself, I'm Leary of others timelines when it comes to sales. I've concluded most ( as it seems thus far) sellers I've come across use the words "Rare!" "One of a kind!""vintage!!!!!" "Easier luck finding this on Mars, than again on here!!! ( ok, I made that one up,..) as leisurely as a fart in a toilet bowl. I've never seen so many ********** "Perfecto's" that are as rare as many claim. The same can be said for most other well to do brands . Yet , there they are , all 10 million "one of a kind, rare , vintage, earth found " leather jackets . Yet , Sportclad is among the exception to This absurd rule.
That is one hell of a beautiful leather jacket and you wear it well my friend .
I'd like to sell the "D" pocket beauty I purchased and find myself the same jacket your wearing . Looking on eBay , I see my jacket priced anywhere from $800.00-3,200.00 ( not kidding )
Be nice if I could find a sportclad , and either swap, or (try) sell mine and achieve this ridiculous goal.
I only say "Ridiculous" because I'm talking about a leather jacket as if it's the Holy Grail or the Ark of the covenant,...
how did you manage to acquire your jacket ? Any and all the help I can get is most appreciated.
I can be emailed at
Scottyrebellious81@gmail.com
I have photos but I am unable to upload for some reason . I'll forward them to anyone who replies .
Thank you

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
God dammit!
I wish I could find one of these in 36-38 regular .
I have what I believe to be a sears " Oakbrook" that is the classic "D" pocket style and from all of the research I've done online , matching photos and such , I'm pretty convinced that this is the correct brand of jacket. The previous owner I bought it from said it was from the 1950's , and like yourself, I'm Leary of others timelines when it comes to sales. I've concluded most ( as it seems thus far) sellers I've come across use the words "Rare!" "One of a kind!""vintage!!!!!" "Easier luck finding this on Mars, than again on here!!! ( ok, I made that one up,..) as leisurely as a fart in a toilet bowl. I've never seen so many ********** "Perfecto's" that are as rare as many claim. The same can be said for most other well to do brands . Yet , there they are , all 10 million "one of a kind, rare , vintage, earth found " leather jackets . Yet , Sportclad is among the exception to This absurd rule.
That is one hell of a beautiful leather jacket and you wear it well my friend .
I'd like to sell the "D" pocket beauty I purchased and find myself the same jacket your wearing . Looking on eBay , I see my jacket priced anywhere from $800.00-3,200.00 ( not kidding )
Be nice if I could find a sportclad , and either swap, or (try) sell mine and achieve this ridiculous goal.
I only say "Ridiculous" because I'm talking about a leather jacket as if it's the Holy Grail or the Ark of the covenant,...
how did you manage to acquire your jacket ? Any and all the help I can get is most appreciated.
I can be emailed at
Scottyrebellious81@gmail.com
I have photos but I am unable to upload for some reason . I'll forward them to anyone who replies .
Thank you

I've seen the same, Red lined, Sportclad on ebay. They come up. I like the Oakbrook jackets. I've had many of their street jackets but none of their MC jackets. I do have a mid 50s Hercules in Horsehide. All the Oakbrooks are Steerhide and from the 60s. I've seen some very nice ones with collars on ebay. I think the right one can be a bargain. There are a ton of MC jackets to choose from in all price ranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24