Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

80s Lewis Super Monza ...

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
hi friends,
my head spins looking at the killer jackets that get posted here, daily. thought i might be able to contribute (ok, brag ;) w/ some pics of a recent acquisition.
my first Lewis, jacket weighs almost 5.5 lbs and leather is especially soft. riri zips all around. jacket is a snug 44 and fits well. i've read of Lewis' quality varying through the years? not an issue here ; )
best to all, mike
FullSizeRender-3.jpg
FullSizeRender-4.jpg

IMG_2117.JPG
FullSizeRender-5.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

I love this style. It's the best of both worlds. Cross zip and CR collar. I've long wanted an LL CR but I just can't seem to find one in my size. My old neighbor had a Bronx jacket. It was killer. I tried it on a time or two and loved it. I think it was a twin track Bronx? I'm not really familiar with all their models but it had two front zips, cross zip and double breasted front lapels. You're jacket looks amazing. Some fit pics are in order, for your own due diligence.

Edward

Bartender
Like a lot of British manufacturers, Lewsi went through a period in the 70s and into the 80s where quality was variable; they certainly still produced great stuff, but some of the hides used were suspect, and it would have paid dividends to go through a rack and check over a few of the same model and size before buying. Tends to be the better ones which have survived. There's a new version of the Monza as of this year, a collaboration between Lewis and Urban rider. This one is made of fairly thick horsehide, and has added pockets to take CE approved d30 type armour. Very nice indeed.

The first "modern" cross-zip / lancer front style which Lewis introduced was the Bronx in 1956. Definitely an influence from the American jackets (and demand for the same: The Wild One was banned in the UK until 1968, but despite, or perhaps because of, that, Brando was a strong image. The Bronx name was a nod to the American scene - not least Schott's influence, though it always put me more in mind of a D-pocket without the D than a Perfecto. The buckle of the waist belt was without a pin (slide-buckle) and covered in leather so as to avoid scratching the surface of the tank: whereas American bikes had a more upright sitting position, young Brit bikers preferred to lean over the tank, where a Schott style buckle could scratch the paintwork. Later Lewis models shifted to side-buckles instead of a front belt, an approach that became common to all British leather jacket manufacturers.

There was indeed a twin-track Bronx, introduced alongside a number of new models to the Lewis range bang in the middle of their heyday period, in 1966. This gave the wearer the choice of wearing the jacket with or without a couple of inches more room. The idea was that it could be worn snugly over a shirt or tshirt in Summer, then in Winter the second zip-track allowed a more relaxed fit to accomodate a sweater or other, seasonally-appropriate layering. The Twin Track Bronx was also the first Lewis to have the sleeve zip-pocket, which became something of a signature look thereafter as it was rolled out across much of the range. IT's the one thing I don't much care for on the Lewis jackets: when I eventually go for a Lightning, I'll be certain to try to order one without it.

jak-440-2_2.png

They're great jackets! And that Monza is beautiful. Always wanted one but the Universal Racer will be my first new LL. Phantom that I got, earliest run.
WP_20160618_15_39_43_Rich_resize.jpg

WP_20160618_15_40_48_Rich_resize.jpg

WP_20160618_15_41_19_Rich_resize.jpg

WP_20160618_15_36_12_Rich_resize.jpg

WP_20160618_15_44_44_Rich_resize.jpg

WP_20160618_15_37_25_Rich_resize.jpg

WP_20160618_15_36_39_Rich_resize.jpg

WP_20160618_15_34_49_Rich_resize.jpg

WP_20160618_15_37_49_Rich_resize.jpg

WP_20160618_15_38_16_Rich_resize.jpg
******** man. This jacket gets me every time. King of the hill, top dog whatever you can think of. Just so flipping cool. I honestly can't see why you ever bought another CR after this one. LOL....But who am I to judge?!?

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
that phantom IS badass ... lewis lost the chain pulls in the 80s i think? as usual this guy fell in my lap. someday i'll actually buy a jacket that I'm looking for ; ) personally, the outer label always bugged me on lewis' so i'm glad mine was (apparently) ordered without. there's no sign of one ever being attached. and i DIG little sleeve pocket! not as much so where sleeve zips are on same side tho. I've been wearing the hell out of the thing now that we're getting some cool weather. i've never paid much mind to borders so don't feel like I'm posing too hard ; ) it's interesting how soft the leather is compared to the vanson, langlitz, brooks, bates, hd's etc that I've owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR