Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Super Phantom No.443

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
God almighty, that's quite a leap. Wonder what made them justify it? Business must be blooming in Japan, eh. I could somehow manage the £470 but the current price is seriously out of my budget, at this moment - as is for most people, I'd imagine. Not least of all for the guys and gals that pretty much made the brand what it is. I really would love to own the Dominator, though. It's been on the #1 spot on my jacket wish list for a long time, now.

And I'm really happy to hear all the excellent comments! Thank you! TBH, as this was pretty much a blind purchase, my original plan was actually to sell the jacket because I was convinced everything would be off and the only reason I bought it was because I wanted to see what the LL jackets are like - but now I'm definitely keeping it! I doubt I would get a finer example even if I got a brand new custom one.

I guess it makes sens. Even though they increased their prices almost by 2, their waiting time has quadrupled.
If you have more demand you can either increase production or increase the price to control demand.
Their chose the second option. Makes it easier to keep the same quality.

Edward

Bartender
God almighty, that's quite a leap. Wonder what made them justify it? Business must be blooming in Japan, eh. I could somehow manage the £470 but the current price is seriously out of my budget, at this moment - as is for most people, I'd imagine. Not least of all for the guys and gals that pretty much made the brand what it is. I really would love to own the Dominator, though. It's been on the #1 spot on my jacket wish list for a long time, now.

Could be the Japanese market (it seems that out there, folks aren't interested in buying if it seems "cheap") - I know Lewis have hit big out there. Also could be various other factors, including cost of UK manufacture, plus the fact that they maintain business premises in very central London. Having the shop there must cost them ten times what Aero's premises in Gala cost them - not least as where Aero presumably own outright, I suspect Lewis are paying out on a lease...

In all likelihood, I imagine they kept price down as low as they could for a long time, then when they had to raise it itg seemed like a very sudden jump.

Searching eBay for a Lewis leathers jacket is frustrating as all hell. They are all "Lewis era" or "Lewis style" crappy knockoffs!

Worth doing a bit of research there, though- it's surprising how often people don't realise what they have. I bought some Aviakit boots for £20 a few years ago. Surface worn around the kickstart / gear change boot, but still, much less than if the seller had pushed the Aero connection (bearing in mind such boots now sell for about £400 new, and these are still ver servieable). Lewis didn'tg start labelling their jackets as 'Lewis' until, if memory serves, some time in the 70s - not every body realises what an "Aviakit" is, so often you'll find much less bidding competition if it doesn't have the 'Lewis' term in the auction. A lot of the British motorcycle leathers (and there were many labels right up til the industry was decimated in the early eighties... presumably a mix of price undercutting from cheap imports, and motorcycling being surpassed by the car as affordable, working class transport) were great, though it's harder to assess online. Highwayman is worth watching out for - made by Rivetts of London. Very similar range to Lewis (best as I can make out, they copied each other a lot of the time - if Rin Tanaka's dates are correct, Highwayman's shirt collar / straight zip style predates the Dominator / Corsair types, for instance). Just as good as the better Lewis jackets (back in the day, especially among the Speedway crowd, those were the two top tier leather names), but for whatever reason the name hasn't been as fashionable, so they've never been quite as pricey used, or been reproduced (at least before Aero's 'Original 59er Highwayman').

(Notably, Lewis did buy out Rivett's eventually, which is what precipitated their barney with Aero over the ownership of the Highwayman brand.)

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Great find looks killer, I'm with you I love the classic style and construction of LL jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, why not. Some fit photos. Pardon the rest of the attire, taken while taking a break from work.

Few more inside the Photobucket album, just click on the photo and go from there.

I must note, the sleeves are actually perfect length & reach to the first knuckle of my thumbs, but it was cold the day these were taken and I'm wearing a really thick sweater on top of a few layers, which altogether is making the entire jacket look a bit shorter than it is. Otherwise, it's just right.
Looks like you were born in it Monitor. Couldn't get a better fit. Congrats. That jacket was made for you.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Monitor, do you know if there is any way to date LL jackets? I have an older Monza I would love to figure out its age?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Monitor, do you know if there is any way to date LL jackets? I have an older Monza I would love to figure out its age?

If that doesn't help i would just send LL some pictures, they are really helpful guys!

about_leathers_2_19_zpsu9runt3p.jpg

No idea, really. In addition to the picture Carlos posted above, I know there are some minute details like the collar lining colour, inside pocket zipper, etc. but I don't really know all that much about their jackets. Again, what Carlos said, the best way to go about it is to take a few good photos of the jacket and write to webshop@lewisleathers.com . That's what I did & got the answer almost immediately.

And since this thread is up, seems like Joan had a Phantom too XD :

Perfect fit if I've ever seen one. Perfect sleeve lenght, too. And it's the Monza! One they no longer make, for whatever reason... What a gorgeous jacket and that leather is surprisingly grainy for an LL. If you find out how old it is, please do share, I'd be interested to know, too.

Stand By

One Too Many
Two words: Timeless cool.

I'm not into biker jackets per se, as, for me, I just feel that the military jackets suit me better and feel that they fit me body and soul for some inexplicable reason - and I just don't have that look about me. But I have to say Monitor, seeing your jacket and then the fit pics ... man, I wish they did! It looks so great on you!
To score a beauty like that jacket is one thing - but to have it show up and then to fit and to do so as well as it does …. ker-ching, ker-ching, ker-ching, JACKPOT!
I'm thrilled for you - and thanks for posting!

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Monitor LL emailed me back my Monza appear to be from the mid 90's. Your right on the grain, it has lots of character. I'll forward a closeup pic.

Thank you, Stand By! Really appreciate your comment! :D I haven't been wearing it for a few days now that it's been raining like crazy (even though it's the most water resistant jacket I've ever owned) and I already miss it. I wish it was a bit more pliable as getting it on can be a bit of a pain. That thing really is a beast in its own right. And I will have to disagree with that statement about you not having the look for moto jackets; I think they'd fit you much better than you think - and I'm not just saying that to return the compliment, I honestly mean it. Plus I really don't have the look. But I still love 'em, black motorcycle jackets. They're cool.

Monitor LL emailed me back my Monza appear to be from the mid 90's. Your right on the grain, it has lots of character. I'll forward a closeup pic.

Please do share some more photos! :) I thought it might be a relatively newer jacket. The leather on your jacket looks considerably different than the stuff that Phantom is made; a bit softer, perhaps.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Monitor, here are a few more pics. For fun I added a picture of a few jackets lined up in my closet to show the grain difference. Left to right LL Steer, Horween Steer Over dye, Lost Worlds FQHH, Aero Horween CXL FQHH. The LL leather is really supple and thick it's about the same thickness as my comp weight Vanson. It definitely has a lot of grain showing and doesn't look plasticy like others have mentioned about LL jackets. The last picture left to right is Vanson leather, LL Steer, Horween Steer.

Don't shoot me I posted them full size to show the grain as best as possible.

IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG
IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Monitor, that's top shelf kit for sure! Love the way you found it, not exactly sure of what it was, those are the best!

I've drank way too much to even consider making a post on TFL and I with thisg I just don't understand I don't understand what is required of me at tis point in time. I managed to scroll up and saw some beautiful black jackets and that was it. What I saw. I can't really say much more because the my faculties have been jeopardized. Don't rely on my post until later.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've drank way too much to even consider making a post on TFL and I with thisg I just don't understand I don't understand what is required of me at tis point in time. I managed to scroll up and saw some beautiful black jackets and that was it. What I saw. I can't really say much more because the my faculties have been jeopardized. Don't rely on my post until later.

Oh crap! Gracenote! I'm so sorry for that lost above! A dog must've jumped on the keyboard and this came out... I didn't see it until now.

Monitor, here are a few more pics. For fun I added a picture of a few jackets lined up in my closet to show the grain difference. Left to right LL Steer, Horween Steer Over dye, Lost Worlds FQHH, Aero Horween CXL FQHH. The LL leather is really supple and thick it's about the same thickness as my comp weight Vanson. It definitely has a lot of grain showing and doesn't look plasticy like others have mentioned about LL jackets. The last picture left to right is Vanson leather, LL Steer, Horween Steer.

Don't shoot me I posted them full size to show the grain as best as possible.

View attachment 44789 View attachment 44790 View attachment 44791
View attachment 44792

I really appreciate the comparison photo and yeah, that's a bit odd, to see an LL like this as the ones showing up on image search are mostly all exactly like on their promo shots; very smooth leather. Your jacket looks a lot like my Vanson, it has that same vibe to it, the leather I mean. I have yet to see the plasticy ones people often mention. The Phantom I got, in anything, could be described as being made of 'wood'. It was an observation my friend made, referring to the creases looking too sharp and crackly for leather. I'd love to own a Monza one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran