Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Looking out the 44 now, but for comparison the 42 is:

Eastman Leather Company A-1 (42)
Weight = 1.0 kg
Shoulder width = 47 cm
Pit-to-pit = 60 cm
Front length = 59 cm
Back length = 65 cm (from top of back panel to bottom of waistband)
Arm length = 65 cm (including knitted cuff)
“Epaulette length” = 18 cm
Collar depth = 7 cm

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Thanks for doing that Dr H it's very useful. I assume they are all the same? I don't believe Eastman alters jackets at all but just make R and L versions? So I assume this would be a regular? Would the leather fit fairly tight on the waist like an M422A or baggier like an A2?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
No problem. They don't vary much - I've had three 44 (two R and one L); those I've had were similar.
The waist is more trim than an A-2, but not nipped in like a G-1.
Measurements to follow.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Sorry to hassle you Dr H but is there any joy on the 44 sizes? I have my eye on a 44 which is for sale and don't think the seller knows how to measure.

Those measurements for the 42 would indicate that it's a similar fit to an A 2 and might fit me well for length and sleeve and be a good slim fit on the chest. The shoulders seem a little bit narrow though and mine would stick out a little past the seams.

One thing I am not clear about these lackets is whether they have the high cut small arm holes of the A 2? If I fit one of those under the arms they are always baggy at the waist and a bit too long.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hi
Sorry for the delay.
My .50 cal A-1 (size 44) measures out at:
Pit-to-pit = 62.5 cm
Front length = 59 cm
Shoulders = 50.5 cm
Back length = 65 cm (from top of back panel to bottom of waistband)
Arm length = 65 cm (including knitted cuff)

The shoulders are nippier than an A-2 with similar armhole configuration.
Cheers
Ian

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
If anybody is interested, I've just listed my fabulous Good Wear Leather capeskin A-1 in the classifieds section.

TypeA1_1920s.jpg

front_view.jpg

reverse_view.jpg

Gorgeous, comfortable and high quality jacket, but not getting the wear it deserves.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This style of jacket was popular years before it was adopted by the military. They were primarily advertised as golf jackets or leather windbreakers, and were adapted to military use with minimal changes. Many of the early ones were suede.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Preliminary images of a custom order for a Type A-1 from Bill Kelso (Victory capeskin, size 44) subtly modified from standard to include older style pocket flaps, single button collar and buttoned waistband. Review to follow on VLJF when I have it in hand - please direct questions on FL to Andy F of BK.

IMG_5327.jpg

IMG_5329.jpg

IMG_5328.jpg

This one is based in part on:
8400368606_99d6d940f3_o.jpg

The pockets are proportionately larger in the original pictured as the wearer was very slender (34 or 36" and short in stature) whilst the pockets were probably produced to a standard pattern (like the A-2) and so looked much larger on smaller jackets.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This style of jacket was popular years before it was adopted by the military. They were primarily advertised as golf jackets or leather windbreakers, and were adapted to military use with minimal changes. Many of the early ones were suede.

Good eye there Dinerman!

Hi,

I wanted to inquire if anyone owns the Type A-1 Flight Jacket Gordon & Ferguson featured on the original flight jackets website (http://www.original-flightjackets.c...A-1-Flight-Jacket-Gordon-Ferguson::676.html)?

Would be interested in opinions.

For that price I'd go Eastman.
Neither is quite designed as I wish they would be.
The Eastman is less expensive.
Don't like the hide used on the G&F for an A1.
The Eastman is made with good quality cape skin...which seems to be hard to find these days.....which drapes the way an A1's leather should as opposed to horse or steer hide which the G& F is made from, which doesn't.
Of course you can make an A1 of any hide....or cloth....and I find some quite appealing. The "classic" military A1 however was made out of hide like capeskin which was less heavy than standard horse or steer, softer, more comfortable, better drape. Designed more as a "leather jumper" than a tough leather flight jacket.

Last edited:

alladin

Familiar Face
For that price I'd go Eastman.
Neither is quite designed as I wish they would be.
The Eastman is less expensive.
Don't like the hide used on the G&F for an A1.
The Eastman is made with good quality cape skin...which seems to be hard to find these days.....which drapes the way an A1's leather should as opposed to horse or steer hide which the G& F is made from, which doesn't.
Of course you can make an A1 of any hide....or cloth....and I find some quite appealing. The "classic" military A1 however was made out of hide like capeskin which was less heavy than standard horse or steer, softer, more comfortable, better drape. Designed more as a "leather jumper" than a tough leather flight jacket.

Thanks.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
PSA- Guy Ferguson of Viberg is selling off two Himel Herons sz 40 over on the StyleForum. $650 for black Shinki, $550 for a wool one....

Dayumn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo