Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Collar snap or no snap

KENNYW

Familiar Face
I recently got a FS Historic HH A-2,I can't decide,should I keep the collar snapped or not!I'd like a little input from you guy's,what do you prefer?[huh]

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
I tend to have mine not snapped on my repros but on my original A-2 I have the collar snapped down as I fear that if I unsnap it it's gonna rip a big hole as the leather is tender. Horses for courses !:)

Havana

One of the Regulars
I vary mine with my mood. At work or when I want to look "nice" I usually go snapped which gives a tighter more uniform appearence. In the off hours, I generally go unsnapped for a more relaxed look. I always put it away snapped to preserve the collar shape.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Unsnapped for me. This is partly out of personal preference, but also because most of the WWII photos I've seen show pilots with the collars unsnapped. Like Havana, I snap the collar down to preserve its shape when it is on the hanger.

shamus

Suspended
I go un-snapped as I just don't like the collar hitting my neck.

Does anyone actually use the hook on the top?

JWG

Familiar Face
Kenny, you got the collarstand version. I would recommend it unsnapped as it sits quite high with it snapped.

Most photos of collarstand A2s show them unsnapped and laying flatly after it breaks in.

KENNYW

Familiar Face
JWG said:
Kenny, you got the collarstand version. I would recommend it unsnapped as it sits quite high with it snapped.

Most photos of collarstand A2s show them unsnapped and laying flatly after it breaks in.
Your right,it does sit high,but I do like the way it looks snapped.I'LL have to alternate days,one day snapped,one day unsnapped(LOL)lol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Unsnap.

I agree with Shamus.
It's more casual and comfortable. Seems to also make a stiff collar break in a bit faster.

I've never actually used that hook and eye thing though. Too constricting and sort of a hassle.

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
UnSnapped

From an aviators "functional" point of view,
I left my A-2s unsnapped. Using a five
point harness in an aircraft, the shoulder
harnesses wont "ride" or chafe your neck if
the straps are "tucked in" under the collar [unsnapped].

my 2 cents..

Tails Up!
SJ

Chris Bennett

New in Town
I have a couple of original A-2s, a pre-war Roughwear and wartime Star Sportswear and always wear the collars unsnapped. Certainly with the RW, being collarstand, if snapped the collar does stand very high. Ultmately its entirely a personal choice of what you prefer but seemingly from pictures the vast majority of A-2s in use during WW2 were worn unsnapped.

Johnny Eager

New in Town
Snapped

I have recieved two original A-2's directly from the vets over the years. I received them both snapped and I keep them that way. One Vet was a B-29 Bombardier and the other was a Navigator on B-29's as well. But as the others say... Its all a matter of preference for the individual.

Marv

A-List Customer
I prefer mine snapped on ELC A2 looks more regimented and dressy plus it keeps the collar shape also.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Right now my Rough Wear 1401P is new and stiff enough that the collar, if snapped, looks like Elvis. Or the famous Clown Collar. So unsnapped for now until I get it softened up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou