• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

A-2 question

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Omne, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Omne

Omne Familiar Face

Quick question, are there any jackets that look just like an A-2 but without patch pockets? I'm looking for something with side pockets I can put my hands into.
  2. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

The Aero Happy Days model would have been my suggestion too, though as Metatron says it is a fairly generic style, of there are plenty of other options if you want something cheaper. Vintage jackets might be a realistic option, as non-military vintage leather in this generic style tends to be much cheaper. If price isn't the issue and you want something new, Eastman's Air Comfort model looks nice too.

4. Corky

Corky A-List Customer

Back in the '80's it was considered a normal update to the A-2 to add hand warmer pockets.

Check out the Avirex jackets:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]The current issue pattern includes side-entry handwarmer pockets (the first military-issue A-2 to include this as a standard feature), two inside wallet pockets, an interior double slotted pen/pencil pocket, and side panels for a more comfortable fit. Other features include a premium dark brown goatskin shell, two front snap-flapped cargo pockets, a snap-down collar (which secures the collar against prop or jet wash — or just a strong wind), an exterior windflap that conceals the solid antiqued brass zipper beneath it, a one piece back, knit cuffs & waistband, shoulder epaulets, and a poly-twill lining. [/FONT]

5. HackerF15E

HackerF15E Familiar Face

And it's been part of the current-issue USAF A-2 pattern since circa 1999.
  6. Edward

Edward Bartender

Good points: I was thinking 'slash handwarmer pockets instead of patch pockets', but both can be had (probably easier and cheaper, too).
  7. Jaguar66

Jaguar66 A-List Customer

Gibson & Barnes Civil A2 has side pockets, although they also have the front patch pockets. I have 2, one in brown, and one in black. I like both. They run large, I wear a 40 or 42, and the size G&B that fits me is a 38R.

Their F82 jacket has side pockets also.

Their Catalina jacket, while not having the knits, is an A2 style of sorts, with no patch pockets.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  8. subject101

subject101 One of the Regulars

9. Jaguar66

Jaguar66 A-List Customer

10. Windward

Windward Practically Family

Maybe I have found what you are looking for... AERO's Windward... its my Flight Jacket without patch pockets and with handwarmer pockets.
    BTW: I have made an own creation with knitted waistbands and cuffs and slightly alteration and features - I call it the "Bush-Pilot Jacket"!

11. Fifty150

Fifty150 A-List Customer