Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Take Two. 45 Contract (pic heavy)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Okay, when I was up at Aero, Holly showed me this one, and after a bit of humming and hawing, I decided it was just too cool to pass up, so I braced my bank account and pulled the trigger.
This is my new russet buffalo A-2 A-2, a contract 45-141OP from circa 1985/86 and made by Ken Calder himself!
Apparently some poor soul had sold it back to Aero recently, can only imagine that it was down to size issues as it's in pristine condition. I'm assured this is as rare as rocking horse manure.
The knits are in pristine condition and the buffalo's got a lovely drape and stunning grain, as well as being demonstrably heavier than the steer A-2. Even the other half of my bank loves it, which is not a given...

Here's a lot of pics:

[/URL

[URL=http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/craig_brown1/media/IMG_0535_zpscb509434.jpg.html]

And the grand finale :D...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, I believe that I like the fit of this one over your earlier A-2. I also like the large cargo pockets over, say, smaller pockets as seen on a Bronco. The fact that Ken made this one himself probably makes it an instant collector's item. Must be great living as close to the Aero as you do.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cheers, Fanch. I'm amazed that after almost 30 years the knits are in such great nick. Not sure what the difference between the 45 contract and 42 contract is in terms of the fit and details. Maybe Andrew can help?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cheers, sir. I don't think I'll ever be able to get it aged the way you did yours, but 30 years' worth of patina is a good start...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Ohh you turtle you!!!! You're killin' me! All that just over the hill swagatation you're collectin'! Yes... Ah am jealous! Love that hide... (drool). I'd a taken the plunge as well. Well played!

Worf

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cheers, Fanch. I'm amazed that after almost 30 years the knits are in such great nick. Not sure what the difference between the 45 contract and 42 contract is in terms of the fit and details. Maybe Andrew can help?

Very nice jacket Craig. It fits you well. The contract number is not a Wartime one, but an invention of Aero. It is fairly close to a last contract Aero from 1942.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Very nice jacket Craig. It fits you well. The contract number is not a Wartime one, but an invention of Aero. It is fairly close to a last contract Aero from 1942.

Thank you, Andrew. I wondered about the contract, but you're right, the fit is certainly 42-like. Oddly, another company has picked up Aero's baton: http://www.original-flightjackets.c.../Type-A-2-Contract-45-1410P::12.html#page_top

Sir Jacket, don't ask. I promise to stop for a while once the Irvin arrives later this year...:eeek:

majormajor

One Too Many

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely, MM. Got to imagine this has been stuck in a dark dry cupboard for a decade or so. My almost LHB looks more knackered than this! I would recommend buffalo as a hide to anyone btw. This jacket could easily see another 25+ years in its current condition...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo