Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A careless acquisition

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I thought I'd relate to you the details about my latest hat purchase.

Late one night, or more accurately, early one morning I was using a certain auction site while in a state of fatigue. I had many hats on my watch list and decided to bid on one. I carelessly clicked through accepting pages and the deed was done.

To my horror, I had bid on the wrong item, old wool felt beater with no proper sizing information, I’d never of bid on it knowingly, I was just watching many to see what they’d go for.

I’d never try to back out of the deal, as it was my own fault for bidding, in the end I paid $10US for the hat and I think it was $16US shipping. It arrived today.

It is roughly a size 7 1/4 in what would seem to be a loden colour with a 1.5 inch brim. It has no liner but a sticker in the top labels it “KEEN’s British” and on sweatband it has a second logo, a “SHOWERPROOF” stamp and a logo that reads “Dall’s LTD. SCHENECTADY”. Furthermore it is slightly worn around the sweatband and could use a good clean.

The 7 1/4 doesn't come close to my 7 1/2 head either.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Not Happy Jan!"

That's a bummer Matthew! I'm sorry to hear that. Mistakes are easy to make, especially when you're tired. You acted honourably in taking responsibility for yours and taking it 'on the chin', as they say.

:eek:fftopic: Hey, I just realised that our U.S. and overseas friends are going to be scratching their heads trying to make sense of my reply title. Well, seeing as we Aussies are often left scratching our heads at some of the American references posted here, it's only fair, right? ;)

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Benny Holiday said:
That's a bummer Matthew! I'm sorry to hear that. Mistakes are easy to make, especially when you're tired. You acted honourably in taking responsibility for yours and taking it 'on the chin', as they say.

:eek:fftopic: Hey, I just realised that our U.S. and overseas friends are going to be scratching their heads trying to make sense of my reply title. Well, seeing as we Aussies are often left scratching our heads at some of the American references posted here, it's only fair, right? ;)

Thanks, better a lesson to be learned on a fairly cheap item I suppose, even at my maximum bid it would have only been about $13AU more...

Yes, comparatively speaking I think we'd get much less in the way of chances to puzzle them, always good to seize an opportunity.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ha ha! Now we got ya!

lol It's from a very popular TV commerical for the yellow pages. A woman who's boss of a firm notices that her secretary ('Jan') has forgotten to submit the advertisement for the business in the yellow pages. While she's counting to 10 in her office, Jan is sneaking out of the building, fearing the impending explosion of her superior's temper. As Jan scuttles through the carpark, the boss opens her office window, pushes her head into the gap and yells, "Not - happy - Jan!"

Since the commerical first aired several years ago, the saying has entered the everyday Australian popular language. Now whenever somebody's displeased with something, you're likely to hear them say, "Not happy Jan!"

It's a cute advertisement and very funny; sadly, my description can convey nothing of its comedy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy