Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few observations about Aero leather jacket sizing.

lina

Practically Family
So, after spending the last two weeks or so trying to decide if I need to size up on my Aero Maxwell from a 42 to a 44, here are a few observations:

1. The relationship of measurements to size (ie, 42, 44, etc) is kind of all over the place, especially the Pit to Pit and Shoulder to Shoulder measurements. You see 42s with smaller measurements than 44s, etc. Even Thurston Bros currently has one listed on Ebay with a note saying "size 40 (fits like a 44)." Perhaps this has to do with the handmade nature of the jackets, but it makes it very hard to get an order right, even when you use the fit jacket option from TB, since you don't know for sure if the measurements will be the same on the jacket you later receive. Nor is it the result of people customizing their jackets by request, since you can only do that on sleeve and back length.

2. For me, Aero jackets are especially tight in the chest, shoulders, and sleeves. Plenty of room in the waist and torso on my 42. I have realized that one of the problems is that the front piece is cut small compared to the rest of the jacket. So overall I have room inside the jacket, but it feels tight across the chest and pulls on the buttons, even though there is room still around my back I can tell. If the front piece was cut a bit wider, to match the back, the fit would be just right. And I remain very surprised at how tight the sleeves are, even though I apparently got a bit of extra room in mine by request.

Anyway, I know folks here love Aero, and I do as well. I still hope to get the perfect jacket and fit at some point, but it does take some trial and error. And man, that's not cheap!

Benproof

A-List Customer
I think so....

that's why it's probably better to get a custom tailored one with Aero maybe?

I tried on a few and found them to be a bit like the vintage Schott jackets - designed for someone with spare room. I decided it just wasn't worth trying to squeeze into an off-peg jacket that would never pass as custom fit (unlike Lewis Leathers - I don't know why, but their off the peg jackets are like a match made in heaven for me. Didn't realise until Aero took my measurements, that I'm rather odd shaped....and I always thought I was normal shaped and the off-peg clothes peg designers were being silly lol.

Now I know. Just like what you're saying - it's unrealistic to have the shoulder-shoulder lengths; pit to pit; waist etc to fit perfectly. They can fit well. As in: "errr, oh well.." :)

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
So, after spending the last two weeks or so trying to decide if I need to size up on my Aero Maxwell from a 42 to a 44, here are a few observations:

1. The relationship of measurements to size (ie, 42, 44, etc) is kind of all over the place, especially the Pit to Pit and Shoulder to Shoulder measurements. You see 42s with smaller measurements than 44s, etc. Even Thurston Bros currently has one listed on Ebay with a note saying "size 40 (fits like a 44)." Perhaps this has to do with the handmade nature of the jackets, but it makes it very hard to get an order right, even when you use the fit jacket option from TB, since you don't know for sure if the measurements will be the same on the jacket you later receive. Nor is it the result of people customizing their jackets by request, since you can only do that on sleeve and back length.

2. For me, Aero jackets are especially tight in the chest, shoulders, and sleeves. Plenty of room in the waist and torso on my 42. I have realized that one of the problems is that the front piece is cut small compared to the rest of the jacket. So overall I have room inside the jacket, but it feels tight across the chest and pulls on the buttons, even though there is room still around my back I can tell. If the front piece was cut a bit wider, to match the back, the fit would be just right. And I remain very surprised at how tight the sleeves are, even though I apparently got a bit of extra room in mine by request.

Anyway, I know folks here love Aero, and I do as well. I still hope to get the perfect jacket and fit at some point, but it does take some trial and error. And man, that's not cheap!

Aero's sizing is not going to be consistent from style to style (a Highwayman fits quite differently from a Maxwell)...however, the sizing is consistent within the size range for each style (if a jacket comes through with incorrect sizing, then we contact Aero and a remake is already in the queue--this is an incredibly rare occurrence!). This is why the fit jacket process is so important for us...and we can't size someone using just any Aero style. We have to use a fit jacket that has the correct sizing for the Aero style the customer would like to order. It can be confusing if you try to compare styles across the entire catalog, but it isn't once you have chosen the style you'd like to be fitted for...

In short, as many can attest to, if you trust our fitting advice and go through the fit jacket process, you'll get a great fit...

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I think so....

that's why it's probably better to get a custom tailored one with Aero maybe?

I tried on a few and found them to be a bit like the vintage Schott jackets - designed for someone with spare room. I decided it just wasn't worth trying to squeeze into an off-peg jacket that would never pass as custom fit (unlike Lewis Leathers - I don't know why, but their off the peg jackets are like a match made in heaven for me. Didn't realise until Aero took my measurements, that I'm rather odd shaped....and I always thought I was normal shaped and the off-peg clothes peg designers were being silly lol.

Now I know. Just like what you're saying - it's unrealistic to have the shoulder-shoulder lengths; pit to pit; waist etc to fit perfectly. They can fit well. As in: "errr, oh well.." :)

Aero doesn't do "custom tailored" jackets...measurements are taken at Aero to match a customer to a stock size in the style that they desire. Then you specify your body and sleeve length!

I've had maybe 6-8 Aeros. Only one was made for me. They all had one thing in common - noting that they were all from the Will Lauder period - too wide at the waist.

I need broader shoulders and longer arms. Then my waist while not slim, is a good 6"-8" drop to from my chest.
So if a jacket fit me well on top, it was a mess down below.
One A-2 I got from @Fanch was not like that, the rest were/are. If I were to do another Aero, I'd have to stress this point as to not get another cut like that.

I think that if I get another Aero, I'm going through Thurston for sure. Tags and numbers mean absolutely nothing. That's the first point to get used to and then it's easier.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I've had maybe 6-8 Aeros. Only one was made for me. They all had one thing in common - noting that they were all from the Will Lauder period - too wide at the waist.

I need broader shoulders and longer arms. Then my waist while not slim, is a good 6"-8" drop to from my chest.
So if a jacket fit me well on top, it was a mess down below.
One A-2 I got from @Fanch was not like that, the rest were/are. If I were to do another Aero, I'd have to stress this point as to not get another cut like that.

I think that if I get another Aero, I'm going through Thurston for sure. Tags and numbers mean absolutely nothing. That's the first point to get used to and then it's easier.

Precisely...the fit jacket process tells us if a customer needs what we call a Split Fit. A Split Fit is one size in the chest and another size in the waist. For example, a customer may be a 40 in the Premier Half Belt in the chest, but a 38 in the Premier Half Belt in the waist....thus their Premier Half Belt sizing is a 40/38 Premier...

I can tell you for a fact that of the three HWM's that I have had, neither one was in any way consistent in relationship to another and were all over the place. Early Steerhide sz. 44 had almost the exact same chest measurement as the most recent one in size 40 (which is why I had to sell it) and the Lauder era 44 was somewhere in between. As much as I loved these stunning jackets, neither fit like a custom made garment and they were all way too wide in the waist. Thurston is great at nailing the sizing down, though, and always, ALWAYS ask them for an advice - even if you plan on ordering directly through Aero. That's what I should've done...

And I'm not buying that whole 'period fit' deal. If a jacket is too big, it's too big.

Also, Vanson does the best OTR sizing as far as I am concerned.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Precisely...the fit jacket process tells us if a customer needs what we call a Split Fit. A Split Fit is one size in the chest and another size in the waist. For example, a customer may be a 40 in the Premier Half Belt in the chest, but a 38 in the Premier Half Belt in the waist....thus their Premier Half Belt sizing is a 40/38 Premier...

Or for many of us over 40 the numbers go in the opposite direction. 42 chest / 44 waist

Benproof

A-List Customer
Carrie -

That information you've given isn't correct.

Aero custom built my horsehide jacket to my specifications which are not a stock size. They installed Knox Motorcycle CE armour protection and the slim fit spinal protector into mine, which was designed exactly at 38.5inches for my chest size, which tapers down to a 29inch waist for my 6ft build. They installed tartan red twill on my specification, and then overstitched it with red vicose lining throughout. That is, my jacket is designed specifically for motorcycle riding and is a perfect taut fit on the motorcycle, with extra-long sleeves to cover up riding in the sports position.

The double lining was my choice: the vicose lining glides on and off even in summer. I choose it this way, so that when it wears, you can see the new tartan lining underneath it.

There isn't another jacket like this in stock size, design, or shape. Not that I've been to Galashiels, however the Ace Cafe has plenty, and none of those fit me.

Mine was built several years ago as a custom order: I supplied the motorcycle armour, and they wove the armour retainers into position before the linings went on. I did put an inch extra tyre on so now it's extremely tight. That's the only disadvantage about a custom tight fitted jacket if you don't forsee these extra doughnuts creeping in....

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Carrie -

That information you've given isn't correct.

Aero custom built my horsehide jacket to my specifications which are not a stock size. They installed Knox Motorcycle CE armour protection and the slim fit spinal protector into mine, which was designed exactly at 38.5inches for my chest size, which tapers down to a 29inch waist for my 6ft build. They installed tartan red twill on my specification, and then overstitched it with red vicose lining throughout. That is, my jacket is designed specifically for motorcycle riding and is a perfect taut fit on the motorcycle, with extra-long sleeves to cover up riding in the sports position.

The double lining was my choice: the vicose lining glides on and off even in summer. I choose it this way, so that when it wears, you can see the new tartan lining underneath it.

There isn't another jacket like this in stock size, design, or shape. Not that I've been to Galashiels, however the Ace Cafe has plenty, and none of those fit me.

Mine was built several years ago as a custom order: I supplied the motorcycle armour, and they wove the armour retainers into position before the linings went on. I did put an inch extra tyre on so now it's extremely tight. That's the only disadvantage about a custom tight fitted jacket if you don't forsee these extra doughnuts creeping in....

This sounds like a job done by previous management...still a stock size. Aero has never sized with computers.

Last edited:

lina

Practically Family
I don't think it's really anything to argue about, and I definitely think that Thurston Bros and Carrie are great at doing everything they can to get it right for their customers. But I would point out that even now on Ebay TB lists a size 40 Highwayman at 23.5" P-to-P and 19" Sh-to-Sh and also a size 38 Highwayman at 24" P-to-P and 19.25" Sh-to-Sh. Unless I am overlooking something, which is possible I admit, it seems to me that we've got a size 38 here actually a bit larger than a size 40 in the same jacket.

I also see that on Aero's sale page they list one size 44 Premier half belt at 22.5 P-to-P and another 44 Premier half belt at 23.5.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I don't think it's really anything to argue about, and I definitely think that Thurston Bros and Carrie are great at doing everything they can to get it right for their customers. But I would point out that even now on Ebay TB lists a size 40 Highwayman at 23.5" P-to-P and 19" Sh-to-Sh and also a size 38 Highwayman at 24" P-to-P and 19.25" Sh-to-Sh. Unless I am overlooking something, which is possible I admit, it seems to me that we've got a size 38 here actually a bit larger than a size 40 in the same jacket.

I also see that on Aero's sale page they list one size 44 Premier half belt at 22.5 P-to-P and another 44 Premier half belt at 23.5.

Hi lina,

The 40 that we have on eBay is brand new, unworn. The 38 that we have on eBay has been worn a bit. Therefore, the 38 jacket has stretched a bit. The size 40 is a bit small for a size 40 Highwayman. If the 40 Highwayman one came through for a customer, it would likely be a remake because it measures a full size too small... Sometimes things like this happen (it happens with other manufacturers too), but we always remedy the problem such that it isn't a problem. When there's a problem, it takes a week or two longer, but, in the end, the customer gets what they ordered!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Didn't the old management do something, the term eludes me, where they stitched together the jacket differently to get a size in between numerical sizes? I recall a bunch of old threads here where customers requested it. There are probably a bunch of old jackets out there that have it, so sizing is probably all over the place for some older jackets.

"Turned in"? or something like that?

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Didn't the old management do something, the term eludes me, where they stitched together the jacket differently to get a size in between numerical sizes? I recall a bunch of old threads here where customers requested it. There are probably a bunch of old jackets out there that have it, so sizing is probably all over the place for some older jackets.

"Turned in"? or something like that?
I think my LHB was one of the last to go through Mark Moye, and I'd requested a 39. The jacket was made by Julie and is the best-fitting leather jacket I've ever owned. Whether or not I just got lucky or they did size it up, I've no idea. Considering everything that was going on at the time, what with Moye and the great Storse controversy, I count my lucky stars it came through perfectly.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the info. I am thinking about an Aero Teamster.

I have been through my share of sizing issues with LW and I am not inclined to repeat the experience. The sizing jacket seems like a good idea.

Food for thought.

Stand By

One Too Many
That half size jacket doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, regardless of the management.

Monitor! How are you fairing out there in the Prairies?!
I take note of the weather on the TV as I know you're out there, and I hope you brought a good winter jacket with you! I know a rather bracing -45C would demand it - and I wonder what you brought with you? I hope you're not frozen and are having a good time.
Stay warm!

Stand By, sadly, I'm going to miss the ultimate Winterpeg experience as I've just gotten back two days ago. Needless to say, after spending a month and a half in the frozen prairies, I find all the whining about the cold weather back home laughable. What kept me warm in Winnipeg was this combo of a Vanson CR worn under a ski jacket that I came up with. This worked surprisingly well with just a tee underneath.

I miss the prairies... Really enjoyed my stay. Most of all I miss the Salisbury House!

Stand By

One Too Many
Stand By, sadly, I'm going to miss the ultimate Winterpeg experience as I've just gotten back two days ago. Needless to say, after spending a month and a half in the frozen prairies, I find all the whining about the cold weather back home laughable. What kept me warm in Winnipeg was this combo of a Vanson CR worn under a ski jacket that I came up with. This worked surprisingly well with just a tee underneath.

I miss the prairies... Really enjoyed my stay. Most of all I miss the Salisbury House!

Ahh, so you're thawing out!!! Easy does it!
I'm glad you had great time and you didn't lose any extremities, as I know it was utterly ridiculous out there! I'm surprised the 'plane started for you - it'd have need the full choke and a push-start!
I'm also very glad your Vanson came in handy as a combo. I was wondering what you managed with … Good for you!
Was the Salisbury House your local hostelry? (pub)

Anyway, I'm glad you made it back safely and you had a great time over here!

Lol but it was extreme at times! One could handle the cold but it's the wind that's an overkill. There were days I didn't want to leave the house, and I absolutely hate staying indoors. Salisbury, or Sals, is a diner / restaurant sort of deal with really great meals, and what is possibly the finest poutine in town. Killer milk-shake, too. Poutine aside, I just loved the place. It was open all night so I'd just chill there and read the newspaper or listen to the radio.

Thank you, Stand By. I really had fun. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner