Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Gentleman knows when he's had enough to drink, when...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A few gentlemanly (drinking) quotes:

Wife of prominent politician to Winston Churchill (with distain in her voice): Mr. Churchill, you are drunk!
Mr. Churchill: Yes, madam, and you are ugly. But in the morning, I will be sober, and you will still be ugly.

"The hard part about being a bartender is figuring out who is a drunk gentleman and who is just stupid”

Ernest Hemingway: " An intelligent gentleman is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”

davestlouis

Practically Family
Not drunk is he who from the floor can rise and yet drink more

But Drunk is he who prostrate lies, without the power to drink, or rise.

I haven't had as much as a beer since 1999, but had many bouts with overindulgence prior to that...

WH1

Practically Family
You actually use the phrase..."Hey y'all watch this!":eusa_doh:

You think a $150 bottle of Pinot Noir needs to be chilled in a bucket of ice for at least a 1/2 hour prior to serving and get into an argument with the sommolier about it. Saw this one last night. Customer is always right my left foot:rage:

Chas

One Too Many
You should stop before:

• The floor jumps up and hits you in the face.
  • You start hitting on your wife/g.f.'s friends
  • You puke.
  • Start a fight
  • Start seeing double.

I don't overdo it on the sauce anymore. At 46 years, it just takes too damn long to recover and I have too much to do.

Geesie

Practically Family
Subvet642 said:
Try that in U.S. Navy dress blue "Crackerjacks"; 13+1 buttons! :eusa_doh: :eek: lol

You know you're a sailor when, on the return trip, you can handle the liberty launch better than dry land!

Akubra

Familiar Face
Personaly I know I am in trouble when I have had somewhere between 4 or 15 drinks:p

And I don't know if I am closer to 4 or 15!!

Hemerlin

New in Town
It's indeed crucial to know when you are about to have too much to drink and stop while still being a gentleman (or a lady for that matter :eek:)... and though I've kind of gotten the knack out of it, I more than once failed miserably in my first student-year.
So you know that you had too much to drink if:

• you're afraid to check your mobile's outgone calls and messages in the morning
  • you are carried away from a summer festival by your friends who have to tell every worried lady that you had a touch of the sun
  • you are woken up by some school children because you slept in the entrance of the federal office of political education
But regarding the question if someone can have enough
I'll try to translate an old poem from Lessing:

A dunken poet drank
His glass in one big draft
His companion then warns him:
My friend you've had enough!
While gliding from his chair
Prepared to hit the floor
The poet turns and sais:
My friend you are not wise
Sure one can drink too much
But never quite enough!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:
Wife of prominent politician to Winston Churchill (with distain in her voice): Mr. Churchill, you are drunk!
Mr. Churchill: Yes, madam, and you are ugly. But in the morning, I will be sober, and you will still be ugly.

Actually, while it was the wife of a prominent politician, the wife was an even more prominent politician than her husband - Lady Nancy Astor. One of the three noted beauties, the Langhorne sisters of Virginia, her sister-in-law was illustrator Charles Dana Gibson who married Nancy's sister whose image was omnipresent in early 1900s as "The Gibson Girl."

Lady Astor was a long-term member of Parliament. She was the first woman to take a seat in the House of Commons and first American-born woman in Parliament, being elected to the seat held by her husband, Waldorf Astor, after his father died and Waldorf immediately became a member of the House of Lords.

She and Churchilll had a long-running verbal battle. Two other widely-reported retorts besides the above were:

Churchill asked what sort of costume he should wear to a masquerade ball, to which Lady Astor responded, "Why don't you come sober, Prime Minister?"

Another was Lady Astor saying to Churchill, "If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea," to which he responded, "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

:eek:fftopic:
Tikismall said:
I laughed real nice after reading this! lol
In many cases, those have been quite literally 'famous last words'--as a professional, if I see someone mixing alcohol with firearms or explosives, especially if they invoke the cited phrase (which is usually where it's spoken), I'm running the other way as fast as my out-of-shape legs will push my fat carcass...

----------------
Now playing: Jerry Goldsmith - The Poppy Fields (Main Title)
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy