Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A minor Grumbel RE: Campdraft

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Just received a silver belly CD that is, in my opinion, not even close to the Stetson silver belly. It is tan and the shade is much darker than an equivalent silver belly. The hat is great looking in of itself but I was really looking forward to the very light grey typical of silver belly's. I'm going to keep it even though I have several other thin ribbon hats in a "medium" light tan because it is a beautiful looking hat. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
This has been mentioned before about the Campdraft -Akubra's Silverbelly isn't so much silver as light beige. It's not a bad colour itself (kinda "summery") but if you were looking for Stetson silver grey, it would be a disappointment.

Still, the CD is a great hat. Maybe try Taupe Fawn next, I love mine.

And nevermind what Babs says - I'll gladly look after it for you :)

(also 7 3/8 or 59 cm)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I don't know nuthin' 'bout Akubras but I do have several vintage silver belly hats and the colors fluctuate all over the board. Some are beige/tan, some are quite greenish, some have a more pinkish hue when compared next to the greenish ones, some are very pale grey. Some are just darker and some lighter. I think the reason I wound up with so many of these is because I kept being disappointed and searching on for a real light, neutral one. [huh]

I have several Silver Bellies & there are not 2 alike. It sounds like you were expecting more of the Stetson/Resistol Western Silver Belly shade. My vintage Open Roads are more tan than any western Silver Belly that I have. Those are more putty/grayish. The Akubra Campdraft is more beige/taupe than that. My Borsalino is close to the CD is tan-ness. I would bet that felter to felter, Silver Belly shade varies widely. Since HatCo felts it's own & Akubra does too, they are naturally different as Winchester felts most likely are too. I love the shade of my SB CD but do want one in Moonstone to go to the gray/blue side of the spectrum.

duggap

Banned
A couple of years ago I got a silverbelly from Art F. and I was surprised at how much of a light tan it was. It has become a favorite but was not what I was looking for. So with Art I got the silvermist and it was dead on what I was looking for originally from the silverbelly. Both are great looking hats.:)

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Sure thing Goose. My only actual bona fide silver belly is on loan to my buddy who is on vacation but will be back early next week. I will put up some side-by-side comparison photos then.
Regards and thanks guys for the replys.:)

suitedcboy

One Too Many
The truest silver belly I have ever had is Resistol's version of it. I have had several Resistol SB's and they all have been a light grey with a hint of tan. Stetson's I have are much more tan.

I guess it depends on the person dying/bleaching the felt and just how dirty the last calf's belly was that he saw.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Maybe it's just a myth but I recall reading somewhere that the name came from some cattle baron wanting a different colored hat and he wanted it the silver color of a baby calf's belly.

I thought that was on one of the custom hatmaker's websites but I can't find it via google search.

warbird

One Too Many
New Stetson Open Roads are light tan as well, not the true silver which you were seeking. As was said above, silverbelly runs the gamut. I have them in solver to tan to greenish grey.

Justdog

Practically Family
Silver Belly

HarpPlayerGene said:
I don't know nuthin' 'bout Akubras but I do have several vintage silver belly hats and the colors fluctuate all over the board. Some are beige/tan, some are quite greenish, some have a more pinkish hue when compared next to the greenish ones, some are very pale grey. Some are just darker and some lighter. I think the reason I wound up with so many of these is because I kept being disappointed and searching on for a real light, neutral one. [huh]
Definitely agree with this opinion. I have the same thing, shades all over the map. The silver is not really silver but more of a tan variant. The only silvery grey one I have is actually clearly dove gray and that is a Sovereign OR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24