Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A proper fitting B3? I apologize, but I'm at a loss.

nabottle

A-List Customer
I've been debating an buying a B3. I've never owned one or seen one other than online and on television. For those of you with the experience and knowledge, do you have a preference of "snugness" in the fit? I've been looking for info. on this topic, but I can't seem to find what I need. I have no opinion on this matter other than buying a quality made B3....and any info will be greatly appreciated.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I know this is really not answering your question, but be aware that a B3 is pretty much impossible to wear until you reach the 15 to 20f.

Being in London i have been able to wear mine once in the past 5 years. Unless you live in a really cold place i would probably go for a thinner B6 or D1.

Regarding fit, it's all personal, mine is not overly snug, but not oversized either. I could still wear it comfortably over a thick jumper.
I would think that something to snug would really restrict movement. Also, you want a bit of air between you and the jacket, that's what keeps you warm.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A B-3 in Florida is an interesting concept. I'm thinking a cold day there is only one step behind a frosty day in Hell....

nabottle

A-List Customer
True enough....Florida is no place for a B3 to be worn - ever. However, I do travel a lot and when I do, you'd better believe I travel to much colder climates. Frankly, I hate hot weather, but my business dictates that I live here. Someday that will change. But back on the topic of size preferences, I'll assume that I won't be layering and just go from there.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
The B-3 is almost one inch thick of dense sheep's wool. The outer finish combined with that wool is impervious to the harshest of winds.
In the winter we just had here in Wisconsin (and there are currently flurries outside), I wore a wool turtleneck jumper at the most. And those were the minus 40 windchill days we had. On a regular basis, a simple cotton shirt is all you ever need. When wearing a scarf a simple walk with my dog caused me to perspire when around 20F.
Those waist belts will cinch up to seal in your body heat so you feel no drafts from under. Get your regular suit size.
As the other guys stated, in FL, I can't ever imagine a day (or night) you could wear one without sweating unless standing still.
I suspect your only option is to run up your electricity bill by wearing inside with the A/C cranked at the lowest setting.

Sorry if I don't sound encouraging, but I'm sure any members in CA,OK,TX, or even Australia would tell you it will seldom get a chance to be worn as intended.

Edward

Bartender
My LW B3 gets regular wear every Winter in London, as well as elsewhere when I travel. Like my Irvin, I bought to fit with room for a sweater.Wouldn't think to do otherwise with a Winter jacket.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
My wife and I travel to Europe in Feb.-May. I have leather jackets of all kinds. They feel, look and smell great. Yet on another note are seriously heavy to carry if it is too warm. If it starts to rain you are carrying a very heavy expensive jacket while you and it are getting wet. Cliche, I always layer as you never know your weather. Unless you travel mid winter in Eastern Europe or take the tube/trans-it during winter, its a anchor and a burden.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Living here in North Texas, this past winter a B-3 would have gotten a good workout! But this has been a very cold winter, by Texan standards!
My good friend just had a B-3 made by G&B in a size 44R. It fit me perfectly, and I'm a size 40-42R. I can easily wear a medium, or a large size jacket.

I think the fit on the B-3 is a smaller fit due to the fur on the inside taking up a lot of room. G&B did not "oversize" this coat one bit!

If you travel to Alaska in the winter, this is the coat to have!

Otter

One Too Many
Would you maybe better off with a D1, slightly loose fit, then you could wear it over your suit jacket for traveling, not so heavy that you will poach everywhere you go and it has zipped side pockets.
I trundled mine around California and Nevada last October and was glad to have it at some points.

nabottle

A-List Customer
@archbury918 - Thanks for the detailed description. It is exactly what I was hoping to find out.

@CBI - The pics look great! It looks like that B3 was made for you.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's great having a forum with well informed people full of ideas and experience. I really appreciate all of the input.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
In the span of a normal Iowa winter I get to wear my B-3 two or three times. With the bitterly cold winter we had recently I wore the B-3 at least ten times. Our state has very cold snowy winters. Yet even with those conditions the jacket I wore the most was my N-1 deck jacket.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Tom

archbury918

One of the Regulars
One other point I meant to add. You mentioned that you travel alot, so the jacket is meant for colder climates. If you're traveling by car bringing it is no issue. If you are speaking of taking commercial flights, this is a bulky, heavy jacket. It could easily take up a bag of it's own if checked in. If you plan on wearing it in the cabin, you will be so restricted in movement as to be uncomfortable in those crummy, cramped seats. You could throw it in the overhead, but again, it's bulky. You would want to turn it inside out to prevent excessive scratches and damage from other bags. Lugging it in the warmer climes becomes another chore.
Just speaking from experience...

alsendk

A-List Customer
I flew to Prague in Xmas time in a fully booked plane. No room for my Irvin in the roof lockers above head, and the seat was far too narrow to sit, wearing the jacket, and besides..I would have been toasted half dead if trying, so I had to hold on to the jacket during flight, balancing coffee, drinks and food at the same time, So I agree very much with Archbury in these matters...But Prague was bitterly cold, and I loved my Irvin during the stay. But next time it will be my Alpha b15 for shure

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
In the span of a normal Iowa winter I get to wear my B-3 two or three times. With the bitterly cold winter we had recently I wore the B-3 at least ten times. Our state has very cold snowy winters. Yet even with those conditions the jacket I wore the most was my N-1 deck jacket.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Tom

I spent the first 19 years of my life growing up in Iowa. Bitterly cold winters, with real temps hitting -25 F...that is -31 C for you other types. Good place for a B-3, and some good underwear!

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I could definitely have worn my B-3 more than ten days this winter with our temps, but sometimes the bulkiness makes it an unlikely choice for some situations. You're right about the underwear. Long johns were a way of life here until just a few weeks ago!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Tom

IXL

One Too Many
I wear a size 40 or 42. My B-3 is a 42 and has room for layering, not that I've ever needed to. I've owned it for several years and wore it quite a bit this past winter, but prior to that most of the time it was just too warm for that thing.
Driving around in a truck during a Feb ice storm with temps around 15°F, with all the windows down, is just about right for a B-3.

eggleman

One of the Regulars
My B-3 is a 48" whilst my D-1 is a 46" and they give me a similar fit.
Must use my D-1 10 times as often as the B-3.
The B-3 is a monster of a jacket , for seriously cold weather , and takes up a lot a space if you're travelling.
Personally I go for a lighter jacket and layer up as necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran