Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for the red heads...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Prell isn't sold in Aus, I'll google the ingredient list & see if I can buy something similar, but I fear that patience may be my only choice, oh well.....

Oh dear, that's strange. I Googled and got the impression it was sold in Australia, but then again, they were all online shops...

You can also try dish soap and baking soda. Whatever you do try, make sure you rinse it with the hottest water you can stand. It will open up the follicle and help it fade faster. :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Shampoos that are designed to strip chlorine for swimmers or minerals from well water will strip the color also. The other thing to try is a color depositing shampoo or conditioner for golden blond hair will help. Yellow cancels out blue or violet.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
One word: Colorfix. It is sold at Sally Beauty in the US, not sure outside of here but perhaps you can google it. It is a 2-part mixture that will lift color. I use it when I make a color mistake (too dark/burgundy) and it always works like a champ and is easier than actually stripping your color altogether.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-remover/SBS-342350,default,pd.html

I always use the partial correction method - mixing 1/4 oz. of #1 and #2 with 1 oz. of a good shampoo (I used Aveda Sap Moss). I worked it into my hair *very* thoroughly, and left this on my hair for about 5 minutes - standing in front of the mirror and working it through with gloved hands the whole time. Rinsed well, re-shampooed to get residue out, and deep conditioned. My advice with this kit is to start out gradual with the partial correction (use a GOOD shampoo), and keep an eye on it the whole time. Rinse your hair before you think it is quite as light as you want. Obviously if you've purchased this you've already messed up your hair, so don't risk it again, you can always reapply more of the Colorfix if it isn't light enough. I rinsed when mine looked light enough, and it actually turned out about 1 shade lighter than what I would normally go for. Also, when you purchase the kit, it does not come with any supplies, so you will need to buy gloves (or risk burning hands and ruined nails) and an applicator bottle for mixing. I also recommend picking up a good deep conditioner for afterwards. If you recolor after, buy a color 3-4 shades lighter than what you would normally use and avoid anything with dark brown or burgundy shades that will grab black. But, if you keep a good eye on this and are cautious, more than likely you won't even need to recolor. (copied & edited from my MUA review)

Last edited:

zombi

A-List Customer
The suggestion of dish soap is good -- dish soap will make your hair feel HORRIBLE but it does have some stripping action to it.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Okay ladies, need some advice - time to color my hair again and I'm actually thinking about going a bit lighter. Naturally I'm a light-medium auburn. Last time I colored I used L'Oreal Intense Red Copper:

1z5r955.jpg

Not sure if you can tell from the pic, but I have dark brown eyes and lots of freckles. I'm thinking of going for a very light auburn, almost red blonde, like Cate Blanchett in The Aviator.

tumblr_lj5v2stteG1qzoaqio1_r1_500.jpg

3015_Aviator_Cate.jpg

Do you think I can pull this off, or will it wash me out? I'm looking for honest recommendations.

Also, can I do this at home, and suggestions on OTC box colors, or perhaps something from Sally, to buy? Or will I need to mix a couple of colors to get this shade? Should I be looking for a light auburn or a copper blonde or what? I'm pretty adept at home coloring so I feel comfortable lightening a few shades or mixing if need be.

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Also, can I do this at home, and suggestions on OTC box colors, or perhaps something from Sally, to buy? Or will I need to mix a couple of colors to get this shade? Should I be looking for a light auburn or a copper blonde or what? I'm pretty adept at home coloring so I feel comfortable lightening a few shades or mixing if need be.
You can not lift permanent color with another permanent color. This means that since you've been using permanent color, you will need to strip out the old color before using the new, lighter color. There are color removers and correctors at Sallys or you can apply bleach all over for just a few minutes.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ Thanks for that tip, kami! I've had to strip my color once before, so that's good to know. Once I strip it, can I recolor immediately with the new color? I know that when I did this in the past, the new color "grabbed" darker than usual.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Once I strip it, can I recolor immediately with the new color? I know that when I did this in the past, the new color "grabbed" darker than usual.

You can re-colour immediately, but you're right about the new colour "grabbing" more. Cut the time you leave the colour in for in half.

You likely know this, but you'll need to be cautious with subsequent re-colourings over the bleached hair too. Even months later, hair that has had bleach in it will soak colour in much faster. (I solve this problem by applying to my roots, and half-way through my sitting time, combing the colour through.)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ Yeah, I've had enough color "mishaps" over the years that I'm pretty well-versed in home color correction. :lol: I always do the "roots first, then comb through" method with color unless I'm doing something drastically different. My hair tends to be dry so the ends will sometimes grab dark. I'm always cautious about that!

I have a box of ColorFix at home that I keep on hand for the occasional late night coloring error. I'll probably use that and then re-color on top. Do you recommend a good conditioner or treatment anywhere in there?

Last edited:

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Have any of you ladies tried the elumen reds? You can only get it done at a salon or if you have a friend with their beauty card they can get it for you. It's completely permanent so you have to be committed to it. I use it on some of my friends and their hair gets really red and never fades. The only downside is you can also never get it out.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have a box of ColorFix at home that I keep on hand for the occasional late night coloring error. I'll probably use that and then re-color on top. Do you recommend a good conditioner or treatment anywhere in there?
ColorFix is perfect. If you are only going up 1 or 2 levels, only leave it on a few minutes. The problem with bleached hair is that the cuticle is wide open, which is why everything grabs. A protein or deep conditioning treatment is always a good idea, but it won't prevent grabbing so you could do it at any point. If it was me, I'd do a protein treatment the day before the ColorFix, then a deep conditioner (if using box color, the conditioner that comes in the box) after all the coloring is done.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Have any of you ladies tried the elumen reds? You can only get it done at a salon or if you have a friend with their beauty card they can get it for you. It's completely permanent so you have to be committed to it. I use it on some of my friends and their hair gets really red and never fades. The only downside is you can also never get it out.
Elumen is a Goldwell product. I use Goldwell Topchic on all my clients, as well as my own hair. I would recommend any Goldwell product.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
ColorFix is perfect. If you are only going up 1 or 2 levels, only leave it on a few minutes. The problem with bleached hair is that the cuticle is wide open, which is why everything grabs. A protein or deep conditioning treatment is always a good idea, but it won't prevent grabbing so you could do it at any point. If it was me, I'd do a protein treatment the day before the ColorFix, then a deep conditioner (if using box color, the conditioner that comes in the box) after all the coloring is done.

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise, kamikat! You're very helpful & knowledgeable, and it is nice to have the opinion of a professional.

I'll probably mess with it over the long Christmas weekend. I'll be sure to document with photos.

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
Hi ladies,

I am thinking of dying my hair a reddish-blonde. I am thinking of the red like Rachael Evan Woods hair from True Blood's Queen Sophie Anne.

Now I have bleached platinum blonde hair (except at the roots: 1/4 dark brown and 1/2 brassy yellow that has faded.).

Any suggestions on hair dye.

Thank you :)

...I cannot get any pics tp post :(

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I would use a light strawberry blonde color, I love L'Oreal. I keep mine a darker red but , they have great reds. I would go a bit lighter then darken if you need to, because as you probably know and as it has been said a few times on here you can always make your hair darker but lighter is much harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR