Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for the red heads...

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yep... even if it's Lucille Ball orange, as long as it's a definite deposit only color it cannot turn your hair carrot red like hers. It will only deposit copper onto your brown hair.
I say go for it... but again, that's without knowing exactly what's in those box colors, lol!
The reds look lovely on you!

o0olibelulao0o said:
I think I've always just been afraid of the copper-y reds because I'm afraid it will turn out like carrot top! But maybe I just need to give it a try, since thats probably the red I'm actually looking for! :) Thanks!

cecil

A-List Customer
the three lessons i learned about having bottle red hair:

Oh dear, my hair has been so many different reds, coppers and oranges over the years. I hope this helps someone.

1. If you have dark hair, go to a salon.
My hair is naturally a very dark brown and i'd have to say that if any others were in the same position then I would reccommend that you go to a professional, even if you've had success with dyeing your hair different colours at home.

2. Make sure the colour suits your skin, the colour you want may not be the colour that works best.
I started off with a darker cherry red but realised that it wasn't very flattering on my pinkish-ruddy english skin. It was a really bright orange copper for two years after that until i decided that i wanted to wear bright red lipstick. I know that red lips can look great on many redheads but again, with my skin being the way it is it was just too much!

3. Even if your hair is dark, don't let the colourist bleach your hair first.
I thought that this was the only way to do it and suffered with brittle hair as a result, but now i've found a colourist who lifts my hair with a permanent colour with great results. No it's not ammonia-free but it's still alot softer and shinier than when it was bleached.

So that you can see what a different it makes to have a copper that suits you i'll post a few pictures. they're pretty awful photos of me and i have my eyes closed in both pictures, but you can see the colour!

Old:
photo.php

New:
photo.php

hope this helps someone!

Lillemor

One Too Many
If you're a similar complexion to me or darker you may have to accept that no natural shade of red will suit you but I love mahogany/coke reds, eggplant (okay that's nearly purple), deep berry and wine shades just fine.

The hairdresser that used to streaked my hair said the dyes already contained some bleach so it wasn't necesarry to bleach my hair first.

I got streaks because it's easier to change your mind that way than it is if you dye all over plus I like the play with the natural hair underneath and that way you don't have to match your brows to the newly dyed shade.

My color was always shiny but I also took care of it; hair sun screen, conditioner, stay out of chlorine or use a conditioner before going into chlorine water. I did however notice that each dyed strand was thinner in diamater than the undyed hair and the dyed parts were more prone to split ends which I never suffer on the undyed parts. No parts of my hair is dyed now for that reason.

anabolina

A-List Customer
I love your hair in each of the shades o0olibelulao0o, its just lovely.

I did end up going a different route with my color and went redder vs more coppery. Still it was a lot of fun. I ended up using a mixture of the light copper red and light red brown and then used a highlighting cap to lighten some of the strands to give it some better depth.

Pic2.jpg

rosierawhyde

New in Town
anabolina said:

I did end up going a different route with my color and went redder vs more coppery. Still it was a lot of fun. I ended up using a mixture of the light copper red and light red brown and then used a highlighting cap to lighten some of the strands to give it some better depth.

Pic2.jpg

Its so pretty!! That color looks great on you!!! You all make me want to go back to red. I have been debating for the past month. I was red all last year, then was in a wedding and they dress just clashed so I went dark brown. My hair is darker and it was such a pain to have to constantly touch up the roots.

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
anabolina said:

Pic2.jpg

thank you! I have a love/hate relationship with it depending on the day. lol But my roots are showing so I need to make up my mind...

I love that color on you! And smart idea about the highlights it definately gives it a very natural look!

did you do it yourself?! :eusa_clap

anabolina

A-List Customer
o0olibelulao0o said:
thank you! I have a love/hate relationship with it depending on the day. lol But my roots are showing so I need to make up my mind...

I love that color on you! And smart idea about the highlights it definately gives it a very natural look!

did you do it yourself?! :eusa_clap

Thank you, It's a little cooler in person than the picture shows. I've always had sisters or friends around to help me with hair color before, but this time I din't feel like recruiting helpers, lol. So I just spent my Saturday afternoon in the apartment playing with my hair. Oh well, that's what weekends are for. The odd thing is that another of my coworkers came in with hair she dyed this weekend too (her's is more orangy) and neither of us knew the other was going to dye so we spent the morning being the new redheads. lol

I love that color Tamamiko, so vibrant. It would be really difficult to achieve.

cecil

A-List Customer
Tamamiko said:
I never can seem to get the shade i want from a box, and my hair dresser charges $90 that I just can't afford every time it's necessary to color.
This is the shade (and shine) I'd love to achieve, but I guess I'll just have to make due. http://felicefawn.deviantart.com/art/speechless-113790826

i think you'd just need a permanent colour with some decent lift in it cause that colour is so vibrant. don't think it would be very hard though. maybe lift it to a medium brown then dump a red over the top?

i'd love to have hair that shiny but even without all the dyes and heat styling my hair is just naturally coarse and dull instead of shiny and soft :(

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
cecil said:
i think you'd just need a permanent colour with some decent lift in it cause that colour is so vibrant. don't think it would be very hard though. maybe lift it to a medium brown then dump a red over the top?

i'd love to have hair that shiny but even without all the dyes and heat styling my hair is just naturally coarse and dull instead of shiny and soft :(

Any at home brands you can recommend? All the reds I've ever found leave me flat and more auburn than red.

cecil

A-List Customer
do you have something like this in the US?
http://www.brillance.schwarzkopf.com/

i remember using one of theirs years ago and they're quite bright. haven't done my own hair with anything other than a rinse for about 3 years now (i'm not a home colour snob, i just always miss bits and end up with big brown patches) so the brand might have changed names but i remember that it was schwazkopf, permanent and the model on the box had bright red hair. here's how it looked, please forgive my silly poser pout, i was 17!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=140434&l=5620d&id=542939218

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE this! I can't seem to find a pro line in the US that has a level 8 with this much red.
Comparing your numbers to what I'm accustomed to, 8.64 would mean a level 8 red-copper. I can only find this in a level 7 here, close but no cigar. Plus, I'd have to use 30 vol. peroxide and I really don't want to.
(note you only have to use higher peroxide the first time, and then on the roots. Always use a lower volume peroxide on the ends!)

I may just have to wait till I get more grey, then it will be more vibrant like that, lol!

Antje said:
here's my red hair, I'm colloring it almost every 5 weeks, with indola proffesional nr 8.64 it is a bright orange red tone

2e67hwo.jpg

MissHannah

One Too Many
This is mine:

Hair230308A.jpg

May08field.jpg

My hair is naturally a mid-brown - a very dull greyish brown. I use Schwarzkopf Live XXL colour in Real Red or Hypnotic Red and I occasionally top it up with Directions Rose Red semi-permanent for a boost.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
This is my red hair:

IMG_0359.jpg

This is Loreal Preference. I believe the color is called Red Penny. I'm very happy with it - it's a nice copper toned natural looking red. I used to get a really nice Lucille Ball-ish red color done professionally, but I had to cut back on unecessary expenses and the hair dying was the first thing to go.

My natural hair is a more brown-ish red. By the time the dye starts to fade, it matches my roots rather well so I don't have to dye my hair as often which is nice.

rosierawhyde

New in Town
MissHannah said:
This is mine:

Hair230308A.jpg

May08field.jpg

My hair is naturally a mid-brown - a very dull greyish brown. I use Schwarzkopf Live XXL colour in Real Red or Hypnotic Red and I occasionally top it up with Directions Rose Red semi-permanent for a boost.
I have been a lurker for some time now and your hair is one of my favorites.:)
How often do you have to touch up your hair? I would love to get mine this red, I was close the last time I was red but within days I would start to see my dark roots coming through.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Ooooh thank you! If I am keeping on top of it i dye it every couple of weeks with the permanent dye. It gets dull so quickly, but sometimes I just cannot be bothered with it and let it go for more like 4 weeks! :rolleyes:

rosierawhyde

New in Town
Well, its gorgeous. That was one of the reasons I have stayed dark this long. The roots. I would be dying it almost every 2 weeks and it got to be so time consuming. I actually was on my way about 3 weeks ago to the beauty supply store to get the red dye and I got in a wreck! Took that as a sign that it wasnt meant to be at the time :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24