Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for the red heads...

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
anabolina said:
I love your hair in each of the shades o0olibelulao0o, its just lovely.

I did end up going a different route with my color and went redder vs more coppery. Still it was a lot of fun. I ended up using a mixture of the light copper red and light red brown and then used a highlighting cap to lighten some of the strands to give it some better depth.

Pic2.jpg
WOW! Very becomming with your blue eyes. I'm jealous! I have always wanted to go red, but I'm so fickle.

anabolina

A-List Customer
rosierawhyde said:
Well, its gorgeous. That was one of the reasons I have stayed dark this long. The roots. I would be dying it almost every 2 weeks and it got to be so time consuming. I actually was on my way about 3 weeks ago to the beauty supply store to get the red dye and I got in a wreck! Took that as a sign that it wasnt meant to be at the time :eusa_doh:

OMG, I'm glad you are alright. The roots was the main reason I stopped dying my hair red. They take time and matching the original dye job, especially with my impulsive dyeing inclinations.

rosierawhyde

New in Town
anabolina said:
especially with my impulsive dyeing inclinations.
That is a weekly occurance with me, lol. Shall I go red, go black, etc.... Its so much easier for me to stay black but I LOVE the red. But the impulsiveness for a change RIGHT NOW catches me all the time.

Antje

One Too Many
ohairas said:
I LOVE this! I can't seem to find a pro line in the US that has a level 8 with this much red.
Comparing your numbers to what I'm accustomed to, 8.64 would mean a level 8 red-copper. I can only find this in a level 7 here, close but no cigar. Plus, I'd have to use 30 vol. peroxide and I really don't want to.
(note you only have to use higher peroxide the first time, and then on the roots. Always use a lower volume peroxide on the ends!)

I may just have to wait till I get more grey, then it will be more vibrant like that, lol!

We also have 9's with a lot of red, the 6 means red and the 4 means copper, we also do have collors like 7.46 but their way less red.

this time I collored my hair completely with a 2% peroxide but I can skip the ends the next time

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Right now I am using Revlon Colorsilk in No. 72 "Strawberry Blonde." I believe it is a level 8 gold-copper type color. I tried several brands in similar shades before I settled on this one, which I have been very happy with and plan to keep up. One of these days I guess I will have to take a picture. I have been keeping it a lot shorter recently too (bob-length).

If anyone else is looking for "reviews/recommendations" type info, I will say that I am very pleased with the Revlon Colorsilk. The shade came out as expected (very similar to the guide on the side of the box), the time spent with the dye on my head was more pleasant thanks to the ammonia-free formula, and my hair feels great texture-wise afterward (I follow the touch-up application instructions). The after conditioner had a mild scent compared to others I have used (I prefer the mild scent). Overall my impression is that this is easy to use, economical and fairly gentle (at least on the nose).

cecil

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
This is mine:

Hair230308A.jpg

My hair is naturally a mid-brown - a very dull greyish brown. I use Schwarzkopf Live XXL colour in Real Red or Hypnotic Red and I occasionally top it up with Directions Rose Red semi-permanent for a boost.

YUM. Your hair looks like a delicious candy apple or something.

I second dumping a semi like Directions or Manic Panic over your hair when the permanent starts to fade. Gives it a good injection of bright red goodness without further damaging your hair.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
BeBopBaby said:
This is my red hair:

IMG_0359.jpg

This is Loreal Preference. I believe the color is called Red Penny.

This color really suits you! Had you not said otherwise, I would have guessed this was your natural hair color. Beautiful.

kerry

One of the Regulars
ClaraB said:
This color really suits you! Had you not said otherwise, I would have guessed this was your natural hair color. Beautiful.

I agree. the colour looks really natural, beautiful. I love your lip colour also, would you mind sharing which make and colour it is?

I've been dyeing my hair red for years and used the loreal makes but found they faded really fast. I've just started using the Garnier Nutrisse range and have found the colour lasts twice as long.
Great idea topping it up with directions, I will have to try this as my hair is quite damaged from colouring.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
kerry said:
I agree. the colour looks really natural, beautiful. I love your lip colour also, would you mind sharing which make and colour it is?

I've been dyeing my hair red for years and used the loreal makes but found they faded really fast. I've just started using the Garnier Nutrisse range and have found the colour lasts twice as long.
Great idea topping it up with directions, I will have to try this as my hair is quite damaged from colouring.

Thank you for the compliments, ladies. You know how to make a gal blush!

I might try one of the Garnier Nutrisse reds next time I dye my hair. I'll have to see if they have a nice copper red.

As for the lipstick, it is one of the Burts Bees lip shimmers. It is a color called coffee that they stopped making. I have 2 tubes of it squirreled away and I'll be sad when they are gone because this is one of my favorite lip colors. I used to love the lip shimmers line until they changed the formula and colors. Now all the colors are frosted and glittery looking. Before they were more of a nice lip stain.

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
So, I'm trying to dye my hair a light coppery auburn-ish color, and I lightened my color up a few shades (I want it to be very vibrant), but I don't think it's all that light... How light should it be?

The only way I think I can make it any lighter would be to bleach it or to use sun-in... and I don't really like either of those options... Any other options? I used the lightening fomula for dark hair... and it only made it a lightish/medium brown... and my natural roots are a little on the blonde side... :)eusa_doh: ) Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Here is a pic of my hair a few months ago, not the best pic but a really dark red. Excuse the dork face. :eusa_doh:

1033059.JPG

Right now it's more of an orange based than violet based red. It's been just about every red there is including bright pink!

My stylist will mix up a few reds for me depending on my mood. I'm in the mood to be blonde again, but as soon as I do, I'm wishing I was back to my red. It just suits me!

Jillian--for your hair, if you can---see a stylist. It looks like you have beautiful hair and I'd hate to see you have a mishap! If you want to do a lighter red at home, my stylist (and I totally agree) Garnier Nutrisse. I used this a few times and really liked the results.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
If you had ANY old color what-so-ever left in your hair, regular color will not lift color. That would be one reason to have lighter roots than the rest.

Another reason is that when you use color to lighten just a few shades in a salon, the color must first be applied to the "mid-section"... an inch or so out from the roots, and a few inches from the ends. This mid section takes longer to process since it does not get the heat from your scalp. Once this has processed a while, then the color is applied to the roots and ends which take faster.

Of course, too late now, :p

My advice, if you're going to cover it up with a bright auburn anyway, is to go ahead and spray on some Sun-in on the darker areas and hit it with the blow dryer.
I always used A Touch of Sun brand in highschool with good results.

Doing this or bleaching would be the only way to lighten it at this point.

Just remember, you don't always have to bleach up to blonde girls.... You can mix bleach with 5 or 10 vol. peroxide instead of 20 for a slower, more controlled lift. You can even mix in some shampoo and a bit of water with it to do a "soap cap" for a more gentle lift. In this case you're probably looking for a caramel or light brown shade. I would say a level 7 if you're looking at charts.

Note, bleach is always drying to some extent. But it doesn't mean your hair will be trashed, (unless it already is!)
Just use a good moisturizing conditioner.

Hope this helps!

o0olibelulao0o said:
So, I'm trying to dye my hair a light coppery auburn-ish color, and I lightened my color up a few shades (I want it to be very vibrant), but I don't think it's all that light... How light should it be?

The only way I think I can make it any lighter would be to bleach it or to use sun-in... and I don't really like either of those options... Any other options? I used the lightening fomula for dark hair... and it only made it a lightish/medium brown... and my natural roots are a little on the blonde side... :)eusa_doh: ) Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
ohairas said:
If you had ANY old color what-so-ever left in your hair, regular color will not lift color. That would be one reason to have lighter roots than the rest.

Another reason is that when you use color to lighten just a few shades in a salon, the color must first be applied to the "mid-section"... an inch or so out from the roots, and a few inches from the ends. This mid section takes longer to process since it does not get the heat from your scalp. Once this has processed a while, then the color is applied to the roots and ends which take faster.

haha I did this, but I think my natural hair color is alot lighter than I thought, it said to leave the dye on the mid section for 20 minutes, then the roots for ten... But oh well... haha it's not too bad.

My advice, if you're going to cover it up with a bright auburn anyway, is to go ahead and spray on some Sun-in on the darker areas and hit it with the blow dryer.
I always used A Touch of Sun brand in highschool with good results.

Hope this helps!

I'll try this to even it out, then dye it. I think the color will be pretty vibrant still. Thanks for the tip!

After this I will probably go lighter (professionally) for the summer, then NOT DYING IT until my wedding. haha! Let's see how that goes! lol

androidpop

New in Town
beware the bottle!

I would highly suggest when coloring your hair red, or any other 'hard to remove' color that you go to a professional.... on the other hand if you just do red mostly and dont plan on lightening it in the near future here are some tips!

I am a stay at home mom and a lisenced cosmetologist, when my clients come to my house and I cant make it to the beauty supply store I will send them to Sallys. the brand ION makes a good color creme, when choosing a red, especially a coppery one, makes sure that there is a C beside the number. When choosing a number(level) think of 12 as the lightest white and 1 as the darkest black, everything falls in between there. I would say use a 6c with a little 6rr, so half and half and then a 10v developer. the higher the developer number the more 'lift' you get, 10 volume barely lifts and mostly deposits... i know it sounds complicated but it really isnt once you get the stuff in your hands ;)!! For a touch up if your hair is still red (just not as bright, and if you arent covering grey) you can get a color gloss, or do your own with the color you usually use and a 5 volume developer or 10 volume mixed with half water. it will add shine and deposit color without damaging your hair!

Box colors tend to look good for 2 days before fading & drying out your hair. Its more economical to mix it yourself with the products I just listed. it lasts longer and is better for your hair!

Hope I helped!!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
rosierawhyde said:
That is a weekly occurance with me, lol. Shall I go red, go black, etc.... Its so much easier for me to stay black but I LOVE the red. But the impulsiveness for a change RIGHT NOW catches me all the time.

Ha ha! I am just as bad!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
VanillaT said:
Right now I am using Revlon Colorsilk in No. 72 "Strawberry Blonde." I believe it is a level 8 gold-copper type color. I tried several brands in similar shades before I settled on this one, which I have been very happy with and plan to keep up. One of these days I guess I will have to take a picture. I have been keeping it a lot shorter recently too (bob-length).

If anyone else is looking for "reviews/recommendations" type info, I will say that I am very pleased with the Revlon Colorsilk. The shade came out as expected (very similar to the guide on the side of the box), the time spent with the dye on my head was more pleasant thanks to the ammonia-free formula, and my hair feels great texture-wise afterward (I follow the touch-up application instructions). The after conditioner had a mild scent compared to others I have used (I prefer the mild scent). Overall my impression is that this is easy to use, economical and fairly gentle (at least on the nose).

I used Revlon Colorsilk for a while. I tried Light Auburn and found it to be a little too orangey/coppery for me. I really liked Medium Auburn - it was a really vibrant auburn. I would compare it to the color of Emily Blunt's hair in "The Devil Wears Prada." Also with Colorsilk I LOVED the price (2 for $4 at Wal-Mart). Recently I had to stop using permanent color because my hair was so horribly damaged - coloring and daily heat styling just ruined it. I went to a pixie cut and totally changed my routine and product usage. Now I'm using Herbal Essences in Spiced Tea. It is a super vibrant auburn!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I have been dyed a very dark dark chocolate brown (almost black) for a few years now and have recently wanted to get a new color ( I was really blonde before) and I have been loving the redheads!! I am just afraid red would look bad on me (and impossible to get right, since a stylist properly has to strip my hair for color & dye first - and it is fragile but thick to begin with). I flush/gets red easily also, which is my main concern, I don't want to be all red all over .. any recommendations/suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo