Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A rare Aero - the Stuart?

Papa M

A-List Customer
I think that it's very classy and understated. However I am personally slightly uncomfortable with those buttons. Something about them, especially the chest pocket button, makes it look a little cheapy.
Whilst most of us seem to still be clamouring for Highwayman and A2 styles I reckon that you could end up with a subtle and outstanding variation.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
My problem – and the reason I am getting another Aero – is that I find the normal Highwayman and HB styles too cropped. It somehow makes me feel uncomfortable, slightly exposed. So I would lengthen the Stuart to an inch or so below the belt. I understand your initial reluctance about the buttons, but Aero buttons are, I believe, more distinctive than the zips; I find their look a little more interesting. I though at first about replacing the breast button on the Stuart with a zip, but I think that would risk compromising the whole look.

My sole concern about the jacket is the side buckle. On the whole I don't like them. I prefer cleaner lines, and I don't like the flaring that the HB buckle risks. But my feeling is there would less of a chance of flaring on this model. Thoughts?

(It goes without saying that, yes, I am showing worrying signs of the-perfect-leather-jacket-obsession, an Aero substrain thereof, that seems to have infected a lot of people on this forum.)

Sir J

Somehow I had missed that in the Aero lineup as well. I must say that I do like it. Very stylish,in my view...with some nice '30s features. I agree with adding a bit more length. May I suggest also considering Aero's "Vintage FQHH" in cordovan? It is an exceptional hide for a button jacket.
HD

After admiring the pics of that Stuart a bit more..I think the side straps "without" the buckle...but replaced with two button straps would match up very nice with the rest of the jacket. Otherwise...one button/hole allowing for no...or not much taper...and the other that would adjust it more snug......
HD

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thanks for your thoughts, HD. Would Aero do such a button arrangement? Have you seen examples? And vintage cordovan –*yes, I'm intrigued by it, but I suppose part of the appeal of Aero for me is to render the hide "vintage" myself, wear it in over the years. That's part of what gives the jackets their amazing character. But if you have any links to the vintage cordovan, I'd be grateful.

Sir J

Here's a quick pic of cordovan 'vintage FQHH'(although in this pic it looks brown on my monitor). I do have a Half Belt in brown vintage HH. This hide is not really artificially aged by harsh extreme means,...but rather tumbled. A process that seems to pop out grain...and make the HH more pliable.
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19646698

Tommer(member here) has a new LHB in cordovan vintage HH. Check his past posts on his profile for pics.
I'm sure that Aero would add a custom buttoned side strap...most probably at little or no charge. They would probably also know exactly what you have in mind. Several years ago I collected true vintage leather jackets. This sidestrap button configuration was not so unusual.
My favorite HH is the regular HH...simply because of the marbled charactor it developes...but the vintage HH has it's own grainy beauty as well.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
I like the overall styling of the jacket with the buttons. The only detail I have reservations about are the separate cuff pieces. IMHO, it looks ungainly, almost like an afterthought or attempt at adding sleeve length. I'd probably go for a normal cuff and button closure.

Here's a pic of my older Aero "'30s style" HalfBelt in brown vintage FQHH. The newer hides now seem darker...and not so matte finished.
100_0412.jpg

HD

There's a pic of Tommer's cordovan vintage FQHH on this thread....
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=846337#post846337

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Looks great!

That Stuart looks great. I have buttons similar to those on one of my classic leather jackets and they work great, offer more fit in the front than a zipper but less windproof. Looks great!

Graemsay

Practically Family
The Stuart looks like a Cossack or Half Belt with a button front.

It's possible to get the side straps replaced with buttons. My jacket had this done, and the design used was to extend the half belt at the back into a wide strap with a button hole at each end. I had a pair of smaller buttons added on each side, and these provide the adjustment points.

I'll try to get photos uploaded later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran