Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a2 leather flight jacket

kojax

Practically Family
i was looking at u.s. mfg....i was looking at the horsehide and goatskin a2....i can not make up my mind lol.....i like the hosehide vintage and the dark seal leather. better then the medium brown goatskin........i know they cost more......what do think people.......one other thing are the jacket nice..

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John Chapman of Good Wear Leather Clothing makes the most authentic A2s. They cost approximately the same as an ELC A2. You wont get a better A2 than a Good Wear!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Although I have no direct experience with US Mfg jackets, I have spent a great deal of time looking at most of the posts from this website as I have decided which jackets possibly to buy. It is my understanding that the US Mfg goatskin A-2's are very lightweight, wheras their horsehides are much heavier hides than their goat. My most recent purchase was an Aero Bronco A-2 in russet goatskin through Mark Moye, for whom I have the utmost regard. The Aero goatskin seems to be equivalent in weight to Aero's mid-weight horsehide but not their front quarter horse, which is much too stiff and heavy for my taste. However, Aero and US Mfg products would not be comparable in quality (or price!). In any case, the Aero goat is significantly heavier than the goatskin of a Cooper A-2 and Cooper G-1 that I also own. You might also wish to consider the Historical Goatskin and Horsehide A-2's made by Gibson & Barnes (flightsuits.com). I know for a fact that both G&B and Mark Moye, who is the US representative for Aero, will send samples of goatskin, horsehide, and linings in various colors if you contact them. Perhaps US Mfg will do same, and you can compare samples for color/weight.

ldmax

Familiar Face
Shaul Dover of US Authentic will also send you leather samples. I just ordered a custom A2 in vintage goat. It should arrive in a couple days. I will post pictures and a review when I get it. The leather sample I received is gorgeous. A beautiful dark russet brown. Thin, but very strong and supple. I had originally ordered a seal brown horsehide jacket from them, but sent it back. It was so dark it looked black and was so stiff and heavy I could barely move in it. It would have taken a lifetime to break in.

Tony

kojax

Practically Family
tony i was looking at us mfg a2 goatskin dark seal......how much are you paying for your jacket about 400.00.......i think the horsehide will be to heavy for me. i am a size 38r...............thank yu kojax

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
According to some of your previous posts, you already own or have owned a horsehide A-2 from US Authentic. If you want a nice goatskin A-2 then buy it from Gibson & Barnes and get a better jacket.

Raymundo said:
According to some of your previous posts, you already own or have owned a horsehide A-2 from US Authentic. If you want a nice goatskin A-2 then buy it from Gibson & Barnes and get a better jacket.

That's,also,what I noticed. It seems a very similar question about US Authentic comes up every few weeks from this same member. G&B makes a very nice more modern styled goatskin A2. However..GoodWear goat is in a league all it's own.
HD

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Once again I jump on the bandwagon, and have to concur with some other posters here. I have owned a US Authentic -- nice jacket, but boy, one tough set of threads -- and earlier this year got a Good Wear.

Chapman's jacket cost twice as much. It is four times better.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Midprice makers like US-A may be up against the economics of demand. Nowadays horsehide is a specialty leather, and most of the demand surely is for heavier weights for moto wear. The lighter, more flexible grades of horse seen in the 40s have very likely gone way up in price because cowhide is the utility leather today. Remember, we used to farm with horses, and not eat nearly so much beef...

ldmax

Familiar Face
My custom goatskin A2 was $473 (I should have it early next week). I had the measurements altered slightly and added an inside wallet pocket. I considered a G&B historical goatskin, but they won't do any custom work on their historical models. This will be my daily wear, 'don't care if its not 100% accurate' jacket. I have my eye on a Good Wear '1942 in a box' jacket sometime down the road. No doubt I will own one of JC's fabulous creations at some point.

Tony

kojax

Practically Family
hello again i looking at u.s mfg....a2 goat skin color dark seal or the vintage goat skin................horsehide will be to heavy for every day wear.....i looked at there meduin goatskin the color isto light for me....the only thing 100.00 dollars cheaper...............i hope to make up my mind

ldmax

Familiar Face
The vintage goat is slightly lighter than the medium brown, so you probably wouldn't want that. I suggest you email Shaul (sales@flightjacket.com) and request leather samples.

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot