Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absinthe again legal

Mike K.

One Too Many
cooncatbob said:
Isn't this the stuff that contains distilled Wormwood?
Didn't this stuff rot the brains of the impressionist painters and was outlawed in all civilized countries?
Bob
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall reading - some might claim so, but the consensus seems to be otherwise. Sure high doses of thujone (the active bio-compound in wormwood) can do some amazingly nasty things to the body but then so can caffeine, salt, and even water. There aren't any absinthes made that contain such super high doses. The wormwood is used (in some, not all absinthes) as part of the bitter flavoring. Actually, if you do a little homework and discover all the common stuff being sold in the U.S. that contains thujone, you'll wonder why absinthe was ever banned at all.

S

Samsa

Just placed an order for some Kubler 53 Swiss Absinthe Superieure (1L).

Now comes the hard part - waiting for it to arrive!

cooncatbob

Practically Family
M Tatterscratch said:
An excess of it did, along with sketchy food, poisonous paints, dirty streets, poor medical care, depression, venereal disease, and stress. Thank god civilization got rid of the real threat! ;)

Ordering a Big Mac and a Straight Whiskey,

T.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the untreated VD and the lead based paints. Absinthe probably got more then it's share of the blame.
Bob.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Why is being a drunk charming and sophisticated, but being a drug addict is unacceptable and evil? Same results. I'd rather take drugs because you don't get as fat & don't smell like a boozer. [huh]

When I was little, we lived in an apartment & the nephew of someone in the building was a pot smoker, and the hallway would fill with this odd, but rather lovely, fragrance when he was around. I'd smelled winos before, and didn't like their odor, but I did like the way that hallway smelled...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
studied this in a humanities class...heard it was pretty nasty stuff. might have to give it a whirl...on a night where i can sleep in the next morning ;)

dr greg

One Too Many
depends

Miss Brill said:
Why is being a drunk charming and sophisticated, but being a drug addict is unacceptable and evil? Same results. I'd rather take drugs because you don't get as fat & don't smell like a boozer. [huh]
Admittedly I've never seen a fight break out at your average pothead gathering or doof party, but ice will make you extremely aggressive and require the use of tasers and the like to subdue someone who's overindulged, we have an epidemic of that crap here now and the police unfortuately can't shoot users on sight like they do in Thailand, but it sure makes the inner cities a lot more dangerous than they were 5 years back.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
dr greg said:
the police unfortuately can't shoot users on sight like they do in Thailand, but it sure makes the inner cities a lot more dangerous than they were 5 years back.

Unfortuately the police can't shoot people for acting strange/drugged? What if the drug-addled person is actually having a stroke or is diabetic?

I know someone whose father started acting bizarre & even jumped out of a car and was wandering through traffic. His wife got him back in the car & to the hospital, and he died a few minutes later, because he'd had a stroke.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
yes, moderation is key...
and for my two cent opinion, MissBrill, junkies usually have certain..err..characteristics that can distinguish them from other possible health problems. of course authorities in Thailand could be a little more hasty to shoot then the law in Australia. honestly i have no clue whatsoever. however a seasoned officer here in the states has been around enough to know the difference. assuming he/she wants to help the public and isn't trigger happy with a taser.

Woland

One of the Regulars
I would assume that the gentleman in question are refering to either "crack-cocaine" or its amphetamine cousin.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Woland said:
I would assume that the gentleman in question are refering to either "crack-cocaine" or its amphetamine cousin.

Woland is right - The gentleman is indeed referring to crystal meth. Bless you for having to ask, Baron - Keep your social circles high. :eusa_clap

Some people may have other opinions, but meth, along with its Thai cousin Ya-Ba (Thai for "crazy medicine") and PCP would be my very last drug of choice. I'm already twitchy and police-prone enough without chemical help...

Not Holding,

T.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
SamMarlowPI said:
hookah is overrated...nothin' special...

Blas - ah' -say - blas - pheemy!

As an occasional smoker of pipes, custom-blended cigarettes, and a very nice Mya Saray hookah, I can state my considered opinion that, with the combination of the right shisha and the right temperature liquid, the hookah is a superior smoke to any of its tobacco-based relatives.

Hookah bars have been big in Chicago for the last couple of years, and I've seen them creeping into suburban Richmond strip malls on recent trips home, so I'd say the hipness factor is on the wane.

Look out, Absinthe! Here come Kyle and Meghan and all their frat-brat friends...

T.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
M Tatterscratch said:
Blas - ah' -say - blas - pheemy!

As an occasional smoker of pipes, custom-blended cigarettes, and a very nice Mya Saray hookah, I can state my considered opinion that, with the combination of the right shisha and the right temperature liquid, the hookah is a superior smoke to any of its tobacco-based relatives.

Hookah bars have been big in Chicago for the last couple of years, and I've seen them creeping into suburban Richmond strip malls on recent trips home, so I'd say the hipness factor is on the wane.

Look out, Absinthe! Here come Kyle and Meghan and all their frat-brat friends...

T.

i think i meant college kids think too much of it. and i don't doubt, like pipe smoking, that it can be very enjoyable if the proper steps are taken. but walking into a hookah bar, slapping down 10 bucks, sitting down and a guy comes out of the back with a smoking bong is overrated for me. but not for the college kids. can't enjoy it that way in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo