Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Admiral A1 jacket - recent purchase (September 2015)

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Please find a quick posting mini review of a new jacket I recently purchased.

I posted this on VFJ a few days back but as some members here may not be part of that forum I thought I would offer the jacket up as a potential purchase option.

I had taken a few pictures last weekend of the jacket on the ground both indoors and outdoors but I do need to get one of my grown up kids to come by at some point and take some photo's of it being worn.

At the moment let me just say its the best fitting A1/A2 jacket I have owned.

Seeing the latest offerings from Headwind here, I snapped up one of their A1 "style" jackets.

When I say style I decided not to go for the traditional A1 - ( I have done that with the A1 from Eastman ) but tweak it by adding the collar from their other offering - the USN 37J1 to give it what I would term an Admiral A1.

I just don't like those high up pockets and I wanted Capeskin so I was pleased to have the option to customize my jacket. Some manufacturers/retailers don't seem to realize we are paying a fortune for these jackets and a little latitude re flexability goes a long way in making customers happy and want to come back for more offerings from them.

The jacket arrived earlish in September so it has only had a month's wear in it so far and that's meant a little bit of sun and rain on it.

Its still early days so it will be interesting to see what happens to the Capeskin re wear but I have to say so far so good and I am pleased with the jacket.

The quality of the leather and the cuffs and buttons are strong.
I was slightly disappointed with the sewing on of the buttons ( not put on tight enough ) and have spoken to Jay about it.

Its a teething error no doubt and I am assured that in future the buttons on future jackets will be secured stronger when sent out to new customers.
Overall a minor issue.

As a comparision to the Eastman A1, I struggle to find any difference ( other than the price !!!!) and I am impressed with the Eastman offering.

The jacket (ie) the standard A1 jacket from Headwind is a copy from the details of an original A1 and is not a copy of a copy. Of course as I played around with the collar I am not exactly seeking 100% accurancy anyway.

The knits - collar and cuffs and the lining are as good an offering as the Eastman A1 and I think both are great jackets.

A comment I would add was that the sleeves appear to be a little looser than the fairly tight close to the arm sleeves of the Eastman. Again nothing dramatically different just more a slightly more comfortable fit.

I would really stress the comfort of this type of collar - it looks good with everything and lays around the collar perfectly.

So if you are looking for a A1 and want to save a good chunk of money I would recommend the Headwind offering.

As I said they offer that custom service ( both in sizes and especially in my case the collar option ) which Eastman do not offer, so again a big plus if you don't just want "stock".

I know I probably should have taken a photo or two when it came out of the box ( well secured and delivered - Custom friendly too !!) but I didn't but hey look at their website for a accurate brand new fresh out of the box look.

Hopefully you can then see the difference that a month's wear gives the jacket.

N.B.The outside shots were in fairly bright sunshine - but they do give a more accurate colour representation of the jacket.

Will get up some "wearing pictures" soon.

Alan

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I can't believe how good your pics are. Jay does a good job with the pics in his listing, but yours after a little wear just make the jacket look like a million bucks.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice jacket! Custom services can't be knocked either. The A-1 makes a nice change from the A-2 (when you feel the need) & isn't so obviously military in origin. Still enjoying mine:)

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket indeed, and I love the carpet you used for a backdrop underneath it in the inside shots. Not to derail this thread, but I love handwoven oriental carpets, and this is a very nice one. It's also a perfect background for a lovely vintage style leather jacket. Well done!

de Stokesay

tropicalbob

It's such a great thing to see a small start-up like this. I really wish them all the luck in the world. Looks like really nice work.

Skyhawk

Vendor
Looking great Alan! Thanks for the positive comments guys! I have been wearing one of the test jackets for a few months now and it is breaking in quickly. I really like the Capeskin. Thick but very, very soft. I have worn it on a few rainy days. With the wool collar up, it was surprisingly warm, and waterproof for over two hours in steady rain at a soccer game. It did not soak though and there was no wet areas on the liner.
P1030312.jpg

There are a few listed on eBay right now including a complete size 44:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/301770935421?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Attachments

• P1030312.jpg
    P1030312.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 342

bn1966

Great jacket Skyhawk! All the best with your business sir, it's refreshing to see such jackets being produced at more affordable prices & custom options available :)

Skyhawk

Vendor
Great fit! Looks excellent Alan. I have been wearing my test jacket quite a bit lately. it is graining up quickly. Here's a few shots of mine showing some nice character developing:

Regards,
Jay

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Wow! Really nice! I've been eyeing an A1 for a while now, at this price and quality point, this one looks too good to pass up. Besides, gotta stand up for a fellow TFL member :) Might just be hitting you up for one soon, Skyhawk! And thanks to Persimmon/Alan for sharing these pics!

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I thought I’d post some pictures of a Headwind 37J1 jacket I ordered in early November after seeing them here on the FL. It was delivered a week ago after sitting in customs for two weeks over the extended Christmas shut down in the UK. I decided on the 37J1 version as it’s a bit more unusual than the A 1 and you don’t see many around, and I also wanted a very light jacket.

It’s in capeskin rather than goat and the hide is of lighter weight than the A1 version, which is how they were originally according to Jay at Headwind. That suits me as I want it to wear in summer just over a T shirt or polo shirt, and it is feels more like a light leather shirt when worn rather than a jacket. The hide is very soft and comfortable as you would expect from what is usually used as glove leather; and since capeskin is used for good quality gloves it should wear better than you might think from the hide thickness too. But I can see why few if any originals have survived. It isn’t what I would choose to wear as a utility flight jacket in an open cockpit and use hard.

It's well made and finished and the stitching is very good, as is the hide quality and lining and knits. The leather should develop a nice grain with use so all in all I’m happy with it and look forward to warmer days to wear it.

That fit pic came out a bit odd after editing. But it shows the fit anyway even if it looks like a retouched news photo from the thirties.
P1070001 (1) copy.jpg

View attachment 41995

P1070002.jpg

IMG_0056 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot