Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice & feedback please on these 40's spectators..

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents.
Just wondering what 'your' first impressions are of these shoes from the 40's?

The chap selling them is after about £70 (double that for dollars), but they are in good nick and look the biz! I'm not sure if I could be going for something with a bit more interest in the leather, having it tooled more into a half brogue, rather than the plain Oxford toe cap look.

Although...I do like the crocodile tooth edging to the toe caps (a nice, fine touch).

Right now, they might just be a tad too steep in price for me, unless they are really worth the buy [huh]

Life's never full of easy decisions!!

6b14_3.jpg

6a40_3.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Those specs

I will be honest with you - they are the toecap style I most like of all those I have posted ...and they look to be in splendid condition. A good shoeshine guy could work on the tops to get the same colour but then again you might like the contrast. Then again they may need some moisture put into the eyelet area of the vamp.:eusa_doh:

If they fit ..buy them especially as converting GBP to USD is so favourable now. I paid AUD140 when bid up for a 1940s pair that have proven to be 1/4 the quality of those. I paid USD85 (42.50GBP) for my brown and cream Broadstreets and it has taken a year to find them and they are not in as good condition as these. I'll be serious. I am/was still thinking of getting a copy of these to have some toecap specs.... as well as traditional brogue types. What will 70 quid buy you in the UK these days going on what I see on cable????

IMO go for it....

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Write the check, Paddy. What is 70 pounds in the scheme of things? A few months from now, you will regret it. Some things you never get over. lol Just make sure they fit.

Also, this is a very nice style. The plain toes make them for me. Sometimes you don't want the shock of a fully ornate Brogue. These would be very versatile with a khaki colonial style suit or a nice dark dress suit.

Live the dream!

Oh, and make sure the shoe trees come with them. ;)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Pinking

I love the pinking (crocodile teeth ...I like that expression!) too!:cool2:

This is the Nunn Bush 1940s alternative if you are lucky enough to have a size 7 foot!!!!

Magnoli has one similar in a variety of colours.

Feraud

Bartender
In my humble opinion I would pay the 70 pounds in a second! The edging around the leather is wonderful. The shoe looks to be in v.g. condition.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I like those a lot, Paddy!

They are elegant and a bit understated (as much as specs can be). Look to be in great condition. Snap them up.

And, by the way: Were you looking to US to talk you out of buying SHOES? lol

Paddy, are they vintage? The shovel/spade sole is a nice vintage touch. Definitely worth the 70 pounds. Is it white leather or white buck skin? Personally i am for some reason obsessed with getting suede/buck skin for the contrasting part. White polished leather just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Buck or Suede

Baron Kurtz said:
Paddy, are they vintage? The shovel/spade sole is a nice vintage touch. Definitely worth the 70 pounds. Is it white leather or white buck skin? Personally i am for some reason obsessed with getting suede/buck skin for the contrasting part. White polished leather just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

bk

You are right BK... trouble was my 1940s buckskin was starting to tear /fissure with age :rage: and it required a bit of fixing. I found Collonil was a good whitener to use. The alternative is a recrafting with nubuck I suppose?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:

bk

They look suede to me. I have never seen white leather in a vintage shoe. For good reason I suppose. I am with you, white leather is a tough sell for me.

I would say buy if they fit and you will wear them, you will more than get that price from them. Of course, only if the leather is not al ldried out and ripping apart.

I love this cap toe style too. Only thing I like better is the full white with cap toe and heel only brown.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
You are right BK... trouble was my 1940s buckskin was starting to tear /fissure with age :rage: and it required a bit of fixing. I found Collonil was a good whitener to use. The alternative is a recrafting with nubuck I suppose?

Anybody here use the eraseers and powders on nubuck? Pain in the ass, but worht it. Do not use the liquid if you can help it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
reetpleat said:
Anybody here use the eraseers and powders on nubuck? Pain in the ass, but worth it.

I use a chalk bag that came with a pair of white bucks I bought many years ago. The shoes are long gone, but the bag remains. Very useful; I hold the shoe upside down and rub the bag along the white suede part. The result is temporary but nice.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
I have, but it's rare. With age, the white leather has usually darkened to a bone color.

I have owned a few pairs in a pebble finish white. Makes all the difference in the world.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Paddy, those '40s spectators are terrific. The vendor has been trying to sell them on eBay for a long time, with no luck. Apparently, his opening bid price has been turning buyers off.

Nonetheless, these shoes are worth the price. They've been well-maintained or restored, and they have an attractive spade sole. Go for it!

Marc Chevalier said:
I use a chalk bag that came with a pair of white bucks I bought many years ago. The shoes are long gone, but the bag remains. Very useful; I hold the shoe upside down and rub the bag along the white suede part. The result is temporary but nice.

Is that like a chalk bag for the hands of the rock climber? I still have one of those hanging around from my climbing days (many moons ago) . . . I once saw a Tibetan thangka painter using a very similar bag to transfer his drawing to a canvas.

bk

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:

bk

I agree; it's the one thing that I would change about my Alfred Sargent "Melly" co-respondents - the white portion lacks that distinctive suede finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff