Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice & feedback please on these 40's spectators..

Marc Chevalier said:
I have, but it's rare. With age, the white leather has usually darkened to a bone color.

Kinda like this:
PictureorVideo972.jpg

The white is a pebble grain leather.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Anthony Jordan said:
I agree; it's the one thing that I would change about my Alfred Sargent "Melly" co-respondents - the white portion lacks that distinctive suede finish.

WARNING: Paddy, before you bid, ask the seller if the white part is suede. If the answer is yes, ask whether the suede has been "painted" at some point with white liquid shoe polish. This is commonly found on old shoes, and it completely eliminates the original suede 'nap' finish, leaving the suede stiff and shiny. Avoid such shoes if possible.

If the seller's answer is no, ask him if he's certain that the white part is leather, and not suede that has been painted at some point. Painted suede can sometimes end up looking like leather.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Is that like a chalk bag for the hands of the rock climber? I still have one of those hanging around from my climbing days (many moons ago) . . . I once saw a Tibetan thangka painter using a very similar bag to transfer his drawing to a canvas.

bk

I have wondered the same thing. I think they are the same stuff, rosen, chalk? But would be afraid of getting something that might damage the nubuck in there if not. I am sure someone knows or can find out.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
reetpleat said:
I think they are the same stuff, rosen, chalk? But would be afraid of getting something that might damage the nubuck
I wouldn't monkey around with anything but a Buck Bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff