Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Aero jacket

After some thought I edited my post... I think you are right. The look is more 30s than 50s though. It would make for a cool new design if the front were modified a bit. Not sure if they're up for that.

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Ok! Mostly thinking of the Wayfarer, since it doesn't have an action back at all.

Just a yoke on the LHB and an action back on the Wayfarer would in my eyes make those designs a lot better.

Another question, how does the yoke affect the fit of the jacket?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Richard, busy weekend and offline. Iowa ranges from -20C to +5C from Late November to mid-March. After this +5C - 15C till May then jackets are off till October again...

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Sorry Richard, busy weekend and offline. Iowa ranges from -20C to +5C from Late November to mid-March. After this +5C - 15C till May then jackets are off till October again...
Ok! That sounds a lot like where I live, but it rarely goes down to -20. More coastal climate.

Do you wear leather jackets all winter or just in the spring and fall?

Edward

Bartender
A long half- belt deluxe with removeable fur collar would be awesome.

Yes, though bear in mind Aero don't currently do the removable collar afaik. I believe that if you go through Thurston, they'll make one for you, though. Aero did them for a while when Will was still running the company day to day. I don't know how popular they were, but it seemed like a good idea at the time (I've never had one myself). Ken cancelled them because he wasn't happy with the fit (they apparently had a tendency to ride up), and I don't think they've ever been reintroduced.

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Look what was waiting for me when I got home today! I could feel the smell of fresh leather as soon as I entered the apartment :D

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

The colors aren't really right in the pic, but from the top left:
Vicenza Russet
V Dark Seal
V Seal
CXL HH Brown
CXL HH Brown Tumbled

Herringbone Tweed Brown
Harris Tweed Autumn
Loch Carron Strome thickness, unsure about the patterns there. Not the pattern I'll get if I go that path anyway.

So far the regular brown CXL FQHH feels the best, I like the color of the Vicenza Seal, because it's not unlike the regular brown, but at least my sample is too grainy and I've read about them being like that usually. Another reason to get the regular brown is that it smells leather! None of the others do.

When it comes to lining, it's a much more open question yet. Very good to have the sample pieces because they tell a lot that pictures and text can't. The Harris is of course the thickest, but also the least dense. It's possible to see right through it agains a light. The Herringbone is thinner but denser and the Loch Carron is really thin, dense and hard woven. A different fabric compared to the others.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I would go with FQHH, you can't go wrong with unless you cannot stand the weight and stiffness.
As for the lining, well keep in mind that none of them can keep you really warm below 2-3 oC. I have two brown FQHH Aero's, one lined with blackwatch Tartan (the green/black you have there), and one with Alpaca. If you need any photo's to see how it looks like let me know.

Harris HTM

One Too Many

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Of the leathers you illustrated above, IMHO the seal Vicenza is the richest of all, and the drape of Vicenza is second to none. My sole experience with seal Vicenza is a Premier HWM that didn't fit me but was particularly enamored with the seal Vicenza over everything else. However, veg tanned Vicenza lacks the water resistance of CXL FQHH. No matter what you get, the leather smell will dissipate over time. As they say "you pays your money and makes your choice."

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Posted one of these in another thread but might as well post a few here too. I wear leathers till about -10C, after that wool & down jacket take thier places, leather gets cold on the body in that type of weather.
DSC_0423.JPG Cordovan CXL FQHH 30's HB with Tartan lining
DSC_0432.JPG Cordovan/Cherry Bootlegger Heavy Steerhide (4.5+ oz) with Olive Cotton Drill lining (review of this jacket coming soon)
DSC_0451.JPG Cordovan FQHH Scheene with tartan lining.
Hope these help! The smell you mentioned is one of the best part of any of these jackets, and my jackets have actually shown more smell coming forth as they break in and get wear and years on them.

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Glad I can help.
The Mariner (alpaca lined): http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-aero-mariner.85245/
30's HB (blackwatch tartan): http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-1930s-hb-and-premier-highwayman.83866/page-2
and my latest acquisition, shearling lined lhb: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-aero-long-half-belt-shearling-lined.89578/
If you need any close-up photo's let me know.
Thanks! Great to see your jackets. Nice to see how they fit too!

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Of the leathers you illustrated above, IMHO the seal Vicenza is the richest of all, and the drape of Vicenza is second to none. My sole experience with seal Vicenza is a Premier HWM that didn't fit me but was particularly enamored with the seal Vicenza over everything else. However, veg tanned Vicenza lacks the water resistance of CXL FQHH. No matter what you get, the leather smell will dissipate over time. As they say "you pays your money and makes your choice."
Thanks for the suggestion about the Vicenza, but I'll stick with the regular brown CXL.

Sure, it's like new car smell :D

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Posted one of these in another thread but might as well post a few here too. I wear leathers till about -10C, after that wool & down jacket take thier places, leather gets cold on the body in that type of weather.

Hope these help! The smell you mentioned is one of the best part of any of these jackets, and my jackets have actually shown more smell coming forth as they break in and get wear and years on them.
Thanks for the pictures and your comments on temperature!

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Another question. When the sleeves are lined with cotton drill, does that mean only cotton drill or cotton drill and the same lining as the rest of the jacket?

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
You guys who have tried a few Aeros, what is your opinion on bi-swing/action back?

I've been thinking more about this and it seems that it can be done, but how big is the difference on a tight jacket like the 30's pattern Wayfarer? I'm talking about how the sleeves ride up the arms when they're raised forward or to the side.

Don't enjoy when the cuffs end up somewhere around the elbows ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred