Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Highwayman needed

deano85

New in Town
Hi Guys

I am new to all this but have been looking at the forum for a while with envy and decided to buy an aero highwayman. I'm looking for something casual and not too heavy, preferably dark brown but really like the half belts. Can anyone help/recommend one to me? I'm a bit of a novice with this sort of thing.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Do you mean an Aero brand jacket or an Aero Highwayman, which is a particular design. If you're looking for a half-belt, the 20s and 30s styles, including the Dustbowl, are quite slim-fit with quite high arm holes, while the Pioneer and 50s half-belt are a bit more roomy. If you're looking for something lighter, you might want to consider the Sunburst in goat, though I would say that the brown Front Quarter Horse Hide (FQHH) is one of nicest leathers Aero does - the depth of colour is amazing.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't have much to add to what Sloan just said othe than the Highwayman is a bit of a boxy fit compared to the half belt designs that allows one to form fit the straps at one's natural waist, as opposed to the buckles at the belt line with the Highwayman.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Good point, Fanch. Oh, and when it comes to linings, if you're in the UK, I would tend towards a light tartan one. It'll give you max flexibility, either with a just a light top underneath in spring/autumn or layering a jumper under during winter.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If weight is an issue - and why wouldn't it be? Go mid weight horse or, my favourite, goat. The standard horse (FQHH) is very heavy and unforgiving. Sure it looks nice, but you may find, as I did, that you rarely want to wear the great clump of stuff. Remember too that heavy leather is no warmer than lighter leather as the material only really works as a windbreaker. It's the lining and your layering (if you have room) that makes it warm. So sizing should be a consideration too.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think tumbled HH is also a consideration as being a bit lighter and flexible too. I will say, though, that I've never had a major problem with FQHH's weight. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Damn straight. We hit 27C in Glasgow today, and all we could do was stare at the big fire-y ball in the sky and wonder what we had done to anger the gods. :D

Edward

Bartender
I think tumbled HH is also a consideration as being a bit lighter and flexible too. I will say, though, that I've never had a major problem with FQHH's weight. [huh]

Me neither. I get it if it's a climate / heat thing, though the way some in the past have complained about wieght / flexibility / WHY.... For me, the armouresque quality it has to begin with is precisely the attraction.

Damn straight. We hit 27C in Glasgow today, and all we could do was stare at the big fire-y ball in the sky and wonder what we had done to anger the gods. :D

lol Struggling with the oppressive heat here in London at present. My kind do not do well in sunlight at the best of times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff