Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero cafe/board racer purchase

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
Deciding what weight of leather for casual/not riding use, hope to use in mild winter, looking for brown

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Vicenza gets my vote. It's a fairly light HH according to most so it should be easy to wear. Plus, I think it is by far Aero's best looking leather.

I have a Board racer based sheene in black FQHH. I've never been much of a fan of the stuff, but with a snug fitting jacket there is something special about the heavier hide.
In general, I'd go for Vicenza- maybe blackened brown...or dark seal...or navy blue :)

Last edited:

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
I have a Board racer based sheene in black FQHH. I've never been much of a fan of the stuff, but with a snug fitting jacket there is something special about the heavier hide.
In general, I'd go for Vicenza- maybe blackened brown...or dark seal...or navy blue :)
Blackened brown uh, I've never heard of this option

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
I'm really liking the heavy steer and horse, but I'm wondering at the break in length

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Where are you based? Maybe a visit to Galashiels or an Aero stockist would help, you could try on different hides to feel the weight.
Having both CXL FQHH and Vicenza, and taking into account that my next Aero will be a Board Racer if I ever find the funds, I would choose either a dark seal Vicenza (mid-weight) or a heavy Cordovan steer.

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
So I went through Carrie, with thurston's, and tried on a few today. Went really well, love the look of the board racer, but the cafe just fit so well. I've decided on fqhh in brown. I was worried about the weight and stiffness of it, but upon trying it, no problems. Close second was dark seal vincenza, heavier than expected, and beautiful grain.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think that a lot of people build up FQHH in their heads as something far heavier and foreboding that it actually is, but it has to be wearable and comfortable otherwise why would so many people buy it?

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
So Carrie/thrustons were great, helped adjust lengths which I wouldn't have figured out over the phone! Now I'm down to the finishing touches. I've decided on no wind flap, center button collar design, two chest pockets...not sure on angle. I'm not sure if I want the back changed, I really like the drape of it while open, and don't want to upset that. My main issue with the board racer was how it pulled at my shoulders while standing at rest.

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
I think that a lot of people build up FQHH in their heads as something far heavier and foreboding that it actually is, but it has to be wearable and comfortable otherwise why would so many people buy it?
Yeah I've read quite a few people have issue with the weight. I personally found it slightly restrictive, but love the feeling of how substantial the jacket is.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. I just don't think it's very nice looking.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think that's down in part to the flimsiness of the majority of high street leather jackets but also how they wear it - if you get it right then the weight's spread over your body and it's fine.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

There's truth to this but at the same time I am one of those who bought FQHH and regretted it and I did spend some years trying to make it work. I don't like the leather's qualities or how it feels on and if you are in a warmer area it is almost never wearable. I suspect FQHH is most successful in cooler places but personal taste also plays a role. I've collected hand crafted leather jackets for over 30 years and 3oz leather, particularly FQHH has never appealed to me.

zebedee

One Too Many
I only wish I'd gone for mid-weight hides sooner- my Aero cafe racer is in a mid-weight H hide, as is my goat SB. I don't see any real benefits to going heavier (heavier doesn't seem period-accurate) and haven't noticed any reduction in durability. My choice for a Sunburst (when I get round to it) will be mid-weight Seal goat as my experience with the goat SB has been very positive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy