Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AERO heavy steerhide halfbelt

Radu

Familiar Face
Hello,
Does anyone on this forum own a 1930's AERO heavy steerhide halfbelt ?

I own a HWM in Aero's heavy black steerhide. I love it. I had, before, a Aero HWM FQHH , but I like more their steerhide.
Now, I want to order a AERO heavy steerhide halfbelt. But I don't know if it will be a comfortable jacket. HWM being boxier cut, the thickness/stiffness of the hide doesn't affect too much the pleasure of wear it. The 30's halfbelt being a slim cut I'm concerned about how comfortable it will be.

Thank you,
Radu

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
I never owned a heavy steerhide Aero, but I've tried on a couple of different models. Expect your future steerhide HB to be a lot heavier and stiffer than your FQHH Highwayman. It's normally meant for bike jackets. I couple of months ago I tried a on a size 38 Cheyenne in heavy steer and it felt like it was almost twice the weight of a standard HH jacket. I can't see how such a leather can ever become comfortable...

I never owned a heavy steerhide Aero, but I've tried on a couple of different models. Expect your future steerhide HB to be a lot heavier and stiffer than your FQHH Highwayman. It's normally meant for bike jackets. I couple of months ago I tried a on a size 38 Cheyenne in heavy steer and it felt like it was almost twice the weight of a standard HH jacket. I can't see how such a leather can ever become comfortable...

Jan, I tried on a size 54 buffalo jacket at a swap meet last weekend. It was soft, but it weighed at least 20 pounds! I've never felt a jacket so heavy! I'm a big guy, but man, that was a crazy jacket.

PS- Jan, I'm going to order my Aero FQHH Highwayman this weekend, can you PM me about details? I'd like your help please sir. :)

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Each time that we've ordered the heavy steerhide in a slimfit style, it just sits and sits and sits. We can't sell them at all...they're to stiff and heavy for the slimfit style and take away from the slimfit look...just what we've seen in the shop...

I'd definitely go with FQHH...you could even ask for a heavy FQHH...my two cents...

Edward

Bartender
Of course, dear Stuart at Lost Worlds would say you're just not "manly" enough for a jacket that heavy.... ;) :p I don't have a heavy steer myself. I do have a MC Perfecto style in Aero's regular Steer, which is as thick as, but a little less stiff than, FQHH, comparing both as new. I can't really imagine me having any need of something stiffer than the FQHH, though I suppose if I was wanting a jacket for wearing on a bike I'd consider Aero's Heavy Steer as a reasonable compromise between the older style I prefer and offering a little more protection without getting into the Power Ranger monstrosities that modern jackets look like to me.

Radu

Familiar Face
I'm still confused. Why? OK. As I told you, I already own a heavy steerhide black HWM. It weight 3.5 kg. My old heavy FQHH weight 2.5 kg. So, I ask Amanda if they have some steerhide but not as heavy as my black HWM steerhide. She told me that they only have one type of steerhide on the same weight and shiny finish like their heavy FQHH. That's why I'm little bit confused. OK, they also have 3.5 oz oil pulled steerhide that I'm not interested.

On the one hand is my 3.5 kilos HWM ( way too heavy than my heavy FQHH -1 kilo) and on the other hand, as Edward, Amanda and other on this forum says, there is a steerhide on the same weight with their heavy FQHH.
But I repeat , Amanda told me that they only have one type of steerhide. So ? Could be so much difference between a batch of hide and other ?
I will try tomorrow to solve my dilemma talking to Amanda.

Thanks,
Radu

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
That's the best idea - they'll know what they have better than any of us. As an organic material, leather will vary.... oce you get to know them, cows can be as individual as we can...

jack miranda

A-List Customer
AERO heavy steerhide

Hi, Radu:
I had a heavy steerhide Bootlegger, pics buried somewhere in the Lounge. I gave up; it was like putting on an old suitcase. I got rid of it. Heavier by far than my FQHH Hercules, which has worn well over the past four years.

Dav

One Too Many
I wear my Heavy Steerhide Cheyenne all the time weather permitting. Different cut I know but I really like the heavy stiffness of the hide, maybe I,m just weird. ;)

JLStorm

Practically Family
I know Im late to the party on this one, but I own an extra heavy steerhide aero which is a bit of a cross between a cheyenne and highwayman. When I ordered from Will, I asked him for the heaviest thickest hide he could find. Will sat with me on the phone and found a piece that he said was about as heavy and thick as they could get. He came through, the jacket weighs just over 5.5kg and there are definitely some days that I know I'll be moving around a lot where I choose my lightweight down jacket instead. I love that my Aero and I had it cut loose in the shoulders and chest so that I had room too move Im pretty sure it will outlast me. I have to agree with Mojo though, steerhide in a tight fitting jacket would be difficult. On a bike I think it would be downright dangerous due to lack of mobility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace