Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero highwayman and Simmons bilt roadster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
Hi friends
I am new here, and trying to get my first HH jacket, any suggestion for choosing aero highwayman or Simmons bilt roadster, which one has thicker and warmer jacket and higher quality? Thanks for your answer!!

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hi friends
I am new here, and trying to get my first HH jacket, any suggestion for choosing aero highwayman or Simmons bilt roadster, which one has thicker and warmer jacket and higher quality? Thanks for your answer!!

I would probably go with Aero. Aero has been around longer. Simmons is formerly Alexander Leathers, and they were formed by former Aero employees.

There has been a bit of acrimony between the two companies over the years having to do with some legal matters that recently resolved to Aero's favor. Which, there's been ample coverage of in this forum.

I can't compare the two in terms of quality, having not seen a SB in person, but I know Aero to be excellent. Looking at their offerings on their websites, they look virtually identical. In terms of the jackets themselves probably you can't go wrong either way.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
Thanks Guppy, that's what I am wondering, the jacket they offered are identical to Aero,but Simmons is much cheaper than Aero

Hi friends

Welcome to TFL! Having owned several from both makers I can tell you both are extrememly high quality and very well made. In my opinion, it's really not a matter of better, with regard to materials/construction, as both use very similar hides and are sewn together by expert craftsman. Some of the SB designs stray a little too far off the reservation for my taste but with regard to the model you are looking at, both are really quite nice. You might well find a "better" deal on a new Simmons Bilt jacket, price wise, as they seem to run on the slightly more affordable side than do Aero. Both makers also have sale/outlet pages if you are after immediate gratification...
Ultimately both makers will provide something you're sure to be delighted with.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
Welcome to TFL! Having owned several from both makers I can tell you both are extrememly high quality and very well made. In my opinion, it's really not a matter of better, with regard to materials/construction, as both use very similar hides and are sewn together by expert craftsman. Some of the SB designs stray a little too far off the reservation for my taste but with regard to the model you are looking at, both are really quite nice. You might well find a "better" deal on a new Simmons Bilt jacket, price wise, as they seem to run on the slightly more affordable side than do Aero. Both makers also have sale/outlet pages if you are after immediate gratification...
Ultimately both makers will provide something you're sure to be delighted with.

Really appreciate!!

cuchulain

Familiar Face
I have an Aero 1930's HB I bought new from Aero, and an Alexander Leathers Roadster I bought off eBay for cheap. I will say, and this may just be the cut and leather I got it in, but I would give the nod to Aero in terms of quality of materials and attention to detail.

But the AL Roadster is still a very solid jacket, it's made very well and worth every dime they charge for it. That's my opinion.

Aero is the only one doing this jacket in FQHH Chromexel leather too.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
I have an Aero 1930's HB I bought new from Aero, and an Alexander Leathers Roadster I bought off eBay for cheap. I will say, and this may just be the cut and leather I got it in, but I would give the nod to Aero in terms of quality of materials and attention to detail.

But the AL Roadster is still a very solid jacket, it's made very well and worth every dime they charge for it. That's my opinion.

Aero is the only one doing this jacket in FQHH Chromexel leather too.

Thanks for your opinion, is your Aero HH keeps your warm in winter? Or you have to add extra layer like sweater? Thanks!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As a matter of principle, I would choose an Aero Highwayman over a SB/AL Roadster since there is IMO ample evidence that the Highwayman patterns were copied by the prior Aero MD, Will Lauder, who was convicted of grand theft of Aero's goods about 1 1/2 years ago. This was well documented in an extensive trial narrative by @Sloan1874 who, hopefully, will see this thread and comment. The dramatic similarity between the Aero Highwayman and SB/AL Roadster is not coincidental!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Since you ask about which leather is warmer: it is the lining that is more important. The leathers of the two brands are similar but if you want a warm jacket get an alpaca, wool, tweed or shearling lining. Keep u!!s posted on your choice, we are never tired of looking at and admiring new jackets!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I forgot to mention that it ofcourse depends on which leather you get: a fqhh or steerhide or bison will be thick and stiff in the beginning; a goat will be equally warm but softer; a medium weight leather will be definitely thinner.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
As a matter of principle, I would choose an Aero Highwayman over a SB/AL Roadster since there is IMO ample evidence that the Highwayman patterns were copied by the prior Aero MD, Will Lauder, who was convicted of grand theft of Aero's goods about 1 1/2 years ago. This was well documented in an extensive trial narrative by @Sloan1874 who, hopefully, will see this thread and comment. The dramatic similarity between the Aero Highwayman and SB/AL Roadster is not coincidental!
Thanks Fanch! That makes things more clear I guess

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
Since you ask about which leather is warmer: it is the lining that is more important. The leathers of the two brands are similar but if you want a warm jacket get an alpaca, wool, tweed or shearling lining. Keep u!!s posted on your choice, we are never tired of looking at and admiring new jackets!

Thank you Harris!! I do confused with the lining, I will choose from your recommendations, and I will only go to FQHH, I will post pictures when I got jacket, probably gonna be a long time according to Aero, 8-10 weeks, is that serious?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thank you Harris!! I do confused with the lining, I will choose from your recommendations, and I will only go to FQHH, I will post pictures when I got jacket, probably gonna be a long time according to Aero, 8-10 weeks, is that serious?

Hi Hammerklavier,
If you go with Aero then send them an email, they are extremely helpful and can answer all your questions regarding linings, leathers, etc. I have to FQHH aero's, the one lined with Lochcharron wool tartan and the other with Alpaca (check the Aero website). The Alpaca is definitely warmer but not a real (cold) winter jacket; I'm planning to get a shearling lined for these cold nights.
With Aero it is indeed around 8 weeks before you receive a nice cardboard box. It is worth the wait.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
Hi Hammerklavier,
If you go with Aero then send them an email, they are extremely helpful and can answer all your questions regarding linings, leathers, etc. I have to FQHH aero's, the one lined with Lochcharron wool tartan and the other with Alpaca (check the Aero website). The Alpaca is definitely warmer but not a real (cold) winter jacket; I'm planning to get a shearling lined for these cold nights.
With Aero it is indeed around 8 weeks before you receive a nice cardboard box. It is worth the wait.

Thanks Harris, Just checked shearling lining, beautiful indeed, and extra £100~

Hi Hammer. Shearling is the warmest, by far. It's probably the warmest thing you can wear which is cool in winter but it renders the jacket unwearable on anything above 10C. :)

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
Hi Hammer. Shearling is the warmest, by far. It's probably the warmest thing you can wear which is cool in winter but it renders the jacket unwearable on anything above 10C. :)

Haha, for sure! I guess I am going with alpaca wool since I am not live in Chicago ~

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@Hammerklavier your choice of lining should be dictated by where you live and how you plan to use the jacket. There is a wide variation in preference among us here. Mine is cotton drill sleeve lining for ease of use, and either cotton drill or moleskin body shell lining, moleskin being warmer than cotton drill. Both are very tough and durable. An alternative for body shell would be corduroy or even strome wool for greater warmth. Lots of choices out there. o_O

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

They do have some in stock to buy immediately, but if you want a made-to-measure then it's around a two to three month wait.
Regarding Fanch's comments, he is completely right: the majority, if not all, of SB's early designs were based on patterns that one of the company's founders stole from Aero.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
@Hammerklavier your choice of lining should be dictated by where you live and how you plan to use the jacket. There is a wide variation in preference among us here. Mine is cotton drill sleeve lining for ease of use, and either cotton drill or moleskin body shell lining, moleskin being warmer than cotton drill. Both are very tough and durable. An alternative for body shell would be corduroy or even strome wool for greater warmth. Lots of choices out there. o_O

You are absolutely right, I am live in Baltimore Maryland, not warm, not too cold

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
They do have some in stock to buy immediately, but if you want a made-to-measure then it's around a two to three month wait.
Regarding Fanch's comments, he is completely right: the majority, if not all, of SB's early designs were based on patterns that one of the company's founders stole from Aero.

Thank you Sloan, that sounds awful. I am still waiting for more stock highwayman, two to three months seems too long, If I make my order next week, then I will get my jacket on spring.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21