Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman HAS ARRIVED! :)

Faisalha9159

New in Town
The long four weeks of waiting were finally over and the jacket arrived on my doorstep day before yesterday. ;)

I am extremely happy with this jacket, and the FQHH is very very heavy and thick, and not to mention stiff. Yes the saying is true about these jackets literally standing up on their own.

This is the first time I have owned FQHH and I am very happy with this new experience.

I opted for heavy weight FQHH, and I was told that the batch this jacket was made from is between 4.5oz-5oz weight which is good enough for me. Leather is very smooth, shiny, heavy and stiff. The chaps at Aero managed to get the fit perfect around everywhere, shoulders, sleeves, chest etc are all an extremely good fit. This particular jacket is very short, in fact shorter than most people would wear theirs, but that`s the way I like mine and I am not dissapointed with this one to say the least.

Special thanks to Will, Amanda, and Janet at Aero Leather!

Nuff said fellas here are the pics......

Picture006.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Flieger

Practically Family
Wow! That is one beautiful piece of leather! Dang, I wish you could transfer smell over the internet - I bet that box released a lovely scent when you pried it open? :)

Congrats!
/F

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Totally man, the smell is gorgeous, and its strong too.....any time I leave this jacket in a room, the whole room smells of leather.

Just love that leather smell, and you are right, I was about halfway opening the box when the smell of that heavy horse hit me. I think from now on all my jackets are going to be heavy horse.

Thanks a lot mate :)

Looks great!
I've got several Aeros in the hvy FQHH. Nothing else like it! My fav is the Highwayman.
Here's a tip...get a spray mist bottle..and mist the jacket quite wet with tap water. Wear it till dry. Do this several times and that hvy HH will mold to your shape...soften and grain up nicely!
HD

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
NICE ONE !

Very nice indeed !!! Nothing quite like that moment when the box is opened I agree - Yes its stiff, but I was surprised at how quickly the FQHH begins to soften up and mould to the wearers contours, at least it did with my LHB and I really haven't worn it that much as I tend to almost live in my Aero A2.

Did you order your jacket shorter than normal ? Its a great looking jacket and I'm sure you know that it will only improve with age so get wearing it and as Paddy would say "Treat that baby rough" !!!

Good choice mate - enjoy it !

Cheers
Colin

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Thanks a lot everyone, I think I will try that misting technique although I have been wearing the jacket quite a fair bit and it does seem to become a little more comfortable each time I wear it, and I think I will enjoy breaking it in.

As for the shortness part, yes I did order it shorter than normal, and when I first tried this one on, it did seem a little too short, but I was then told that the jacket will soon start to droop a little as it breaks in so that will give it a little extra length. Most of my jackets are short anyway so its not a problem.

Thanks a lot for all the encouragement guys.

Jay

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Fantastic looking jacket - I know you'll continue to be pleased.

Looks like you sold all the furniture to get it? lol

At least the box could make a nice coffee table. Unless he had to sell the coffee pot, too.

Nautilus

New in Town
Congrats on the jacket. Just make sure you really are happy with the size, so that you don't have regrets 6 months from now when you are wearing it regularly, and it will be impossible to return. The highwayman is a short jacket to start, so I couldn't imagine having it shortened unless I had a large chest relative to my height. It's sounds like you are already conscious of the shortness of the jacket, which does not bode well for your long term satisfaction, (IMHO of course, :) ). I would also not count on the jacket gaining much length as it breaks in.

Best to post some pictures of you wearing it in order to get some subjective criticism. ;)

My cordovan HB just arrived in US customs (I had to wait almost 9 weeks! and still 1 more week until I actually get it, most likely). I'm 5'10 with a 40 inch chest and I ordered a 40 without alterations. We'll see how she fits.

Nautilus said:
Congrats on the jacket. Just make sure you really are happy with the size, so that you don't have regrets 6 months from now when you are wearing it regularly, and it will be impossible to return. The highwayman is a short jacket to start, so I couldn't imagine having it shortened unless I had a large chest relative to my height. It's sounds like you are already conscious of the shortness of the jacket, which does not bode well for your long term satisfaction, (IMHO of course, :) ). I would also not count on the jacket gaining much length as it breaks in.

Best to post some pictures of you wearing it in order to get some subjective criticism. ;)

My cordovan HB just arrived in US customs (I had to wait almost 9 weeks! and still 1 more week until I actually get it, most likely). I'm 5'10 with a 40 inch chest and I ordered a 40 without alterations. We'll see how she fits.

IMO...Very good advice!;)
HD

Technonut

Practically Family
My first Highwayman was a size 44, and had an outer chest circumference of 53 1/2 inches... When I sent it back for alterations, a new one was made instead. :) Having a dead-on 44 inch chest, I requested that the outer chest circumference be 48 inches. The new jacket is tagged a 42 with 1.5" on the body length, and 0.5" on the sleeve length. Fits like a glove... :)

Gustav

New in Town
Faisalha9159 said:
Thanks a lot everyone, I think I will try that misting technique although I have been wearing the jacket quite a fair bit and it does seem to become a little more comfortable each time I wear it, and I think I will enjoy breaking it in.

As for the shortness part, yes I did order it shorter than normal, and when I first tried this one on, it did seem a little too short, but I was then told that the jacket will soon start to droop a little as it breaks in so that will give it a little extra length. Most of my jackets are short anyway so its not a problem.

Thanks a lot for all the encouragement guys.

It needs to be nice and short for the pattern to work,so you can get the adjusters tightened at the right place,looks miles better.I had mine shortened a couple of inches and it looks so much better for it(it was a size40 long (+2" maybe) but i'm 6'2"),the pattern never seemed quite right until i got the waist band in the right place,now i love it.The front length is now under 22"(collar to bottom of hem along the zipper) and i still think it could do with being a little shorter.Unless you have a belly to stretch it round or are very tall then getting it shorter is no bad thing.A lot of people wear the highwayman too long IMO.

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Gustav said:
It needs to be nice and short for the pattern to work,so you can get the adjusters tightened at the right place,looks miles better.I had mine shortened a couple of inches and it looks so much better for it(it was a size40 long (+2" maybe) but i'm 6'2"),the pattern never seemed quite right until i got the waist band in the right place,now i love it.The front length is now under 22"(collar to bottom of hem along the zipper) and i still think it could do with being a little shorter.Unless you have a belly to stretch it round or are very tall then getting it shorter is no bad thing.A lot of people wear the highwayman too long IMO.

I agree with you, most people do wear their Highwaymans too long and they don`t look right. But I guess those are Highwaymans bought in stores and such, or either these people don`t know how to wear them right.

I`m thin, and around 5ft 8....at Aero they used a 36 regular for the body and they adjusted the length how I told them to, so the jacket covers my belt nicely from the back but from the front it doesn`t cover the whole of my belt buckle. Then again, I wear quite a large style belt buckle, and my jeans hang pretty low anyway so maybe this makes the jacket seem shorter, although, I personally wouldn`t say it looks out of place kind of short. I tried adjusting the side buckles, and I found that the jacket looked grear with or without the adjustment so now I just adjust it depending on my mood, or leave them open. I still feel its one of the best jackets I have bought.

I`ll try and get some pictures up of me wearing the jacket.

Gustav

New in Town
Yeah do so.Yours looks great,i have to say,in the classic colour scheme.the FQHH is great stuff,had mine for a couple of years and it gets better all the time.If you like the fit now it'll look like you were made for it with a few weeks wear.It's brilliant at keeping the wind and water out too,it's very weather proof stuff,mine's been keeping the heavy rain off me the last few days.It might be my imagination but i'm convinced it traps heat much better once it's broken in,i don't think the leather itself traps much warmth at all when it's new.

Speaking of short jackets,Aero make the Montgomery,very short jacket on the highwayman pattern,i really like it,looks cool.Very,very short though.http://www.kentaurus.de/montgomery.html#

edit; i tried to take some shots of my 2 year old,they're not very accurate though,needs daylight.the right sleeve is my favourite bit on this jacket,it was a naturally jerkey bit to start with.

003.jpg

001.jpg

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Thanks for the pics mate. Your jacket is stunning- I just love the sleeves.....you cannot beat the look of well worn, broken in quality leather and I guess you can`t get much better than Aero leather. The colour of yours is very nice as well mate- I was thinking of getting brown myself but I remember deciding on shiny black as my wardrobe already contains too many brown leather items.

I saw the montgomery jacket and it reminds me of my Highwayman, and yeah it definately is a cool looking jacket. I`m gonna try and wear my Highwayman out in the rain, now that we are expecting to get some showers down here in London.

Pics are great mate, you can almost smell the leather!

Edward

Bartender
Bugger, now i want a black highwayman. As well as an A2. And that's to come after the new suit, and the smoking jacket..... gah!!!!

Over in guitar world, we call this sort of thing GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. I think I'm now suffering from CAS....

Maybe one day in the future when one or two of my existing black leathers need repalced, I'll look into one of these. I'll be wearing a Brando-style MC til I die, but a black Highwayman would be a nice alternative for those occasions when the Brando just doesn't quite cut it...

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Straight out of the box

Here are some pics of me wearing my Highwayman, the day it arrived, straight outof the box. Obviously the jacket is a lot more comfie now, and has a lot more creases and looks a whole lot better. :)

CAOX2FOP.jpg

CA1GY5PR.jpg

CAHGIXPV.jpg

Technonut

Practically Family
Faisalha9159 said:
Here are some pics of me wearing my Highwayman, the day it arrived, straight outof the box. Obviously the jacket is a lot more comfie now, and has a lot more creases and looks a whole lot better. :)

CAHGIXPV.jpg

The Highwayman suits you well Faisalha9159... :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran