Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero interior pocket

GGinMP

New in Town
None of my Aeros have this pocket and I agree with their sentiment. I once owned a CXL FQHH Aero CR (second hand) with the pocket and it absolutely did show thru. I hated it.
That said I find it an essential pocket on my Vanson, the leather is different tho and with the leather lined open pocket there's no ghost to the outer shell.

What leather is on your Vanson? Besides the dark seal Vincenzo, I'm also considering a tumbled CXL cordovan. The inner pocket (no closure) is extremely appealing but not if it compromises the exterior look. Thanks!

What leather is on your Vanson? Besides the dark seal Vincenzo, I'm also considering a tumbled CXL cordovan. The inner pocket (no closure) is extremely appealing but not if it compromises the exterior look. Thanks!
Vanson is black comp weight cow. Both Aeros are CXL. One in midnight blue one cordovan. Vanson comp weight isn't nearly as oily. Doesn't have the memory of CXL..the Vicenza or tumbled hides might be more forgiving here but I wouldn't recommend that pocket on a CXL jacket.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
but the pocket bag doesn't have to be cut square, the upper edge can be cut round following your natural ribcage , and the bottom can be all the way to the waist, and the side can be all the way to the side panel connection, just like D pocket but inside.
with current trend of mobile phone sizes it is impossible not to have a roomy inner pockets with easy access and saver from theft/ falling/ scratched by zipper of the outer pockets.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Having a CCW, I find not having an interior pocket is not an option (with my A-2s being the exception - and IWB carry being preferred in those cases). Never had any issues with the inside pockets with any of my leather jackets, (Aero, Schott, US Authentic, etc.). I can appreciate those who like the "skin tight" fit not wanting the extra bulk however.

samo

One of the Regulars

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I doubt that there are very many facets of a leather jacket that you wouldn't get opposing viewpoints on, but I'm with Grayland on this one: I have the LHB as well with an inner pocket on the left side, behind the outer zip, and really wouldn't want to do without it. For daily use it's where my cellphone goes, and when I'm travelling I keep my passport and credit cards there. Very handy.

GGinMP

New in Town
...I have the LHB as well with an inner pocket on the left side, behind the outer zip, and really wouldn't want to do without it. For daily use it's where my cellphone goes, and when I'm travelling I keep my passport and credit cards there. Very handy.

I was thinking that if I got an interior pocket, it would go on the side opposite the exterior pocket for balance. However, I don't see myself ever putting anything into the exterior pocket and perhaps it would help hide any show-through. Hmm...

Willybob

A-List Customer
If you really need a pocket inside ask them if they'll make a patch pocket out of the liner material attached to the liner. I obtained some drill from Carrie and added a c-phone/ID/pen/eye glass pocket to mine.

tropicalbob

I was thinking that if I got an interior pocket, it would go on the side opposite the exterior pocket for balance. However, I don't see myself ever putting anything into the exterior pocket and perhaps it would help hide any show-through. Hmm...
The only thing I've ever used the outside zip pocket for is tickets: plane tickets, metro, shows, etc. It's handy for those because I always know right where they are, and I won't lose them.

bn1966

I've never had a problem with interior pockets on G-1 type jackets or my ELC Luftwaffe..can't say that I've used them either where they are fitted :)

yakima

One of the Regulars
I've known Ken at Aero for a good few years now.

Some businessmen will always give you the "company line" as long as it helps sales.

Ken is not like that. Ken is a genuine guy, who will always give you the best advice for you.

He's been making and selling leather jackets for what, 40 years?

At the end of the day, it is your decision - if you like an interior pocket - that's cool.

But the guy making the jacket is giving you the benefit of 40 years experience.

No inside pockets for me! :)

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't buy a jacket without an interior pocket. I use it everyday. Not for bulky items but for letters or other pieces of paper that i don't want to fold in my jeans pockets.

Leather jackets have so much variation, even within the same panel, including creases, grain and fading, that I can;t possibly see it maing any difference to the appearance of the jacket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Tbh, if you're going with Vicenza, then pocket shine-through won't be a problem. The problem comes with FQHH, really. I've had the issue with a LHB, but as others have said, in the overall look of a worn-in jacket, it's not an issue.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Personally i go WITH an inside pocket for these reasons.
What I normally carry would be a wallet, a bunch of keys(only essentials), coins and occasionally a mobile phone. Now all that stuffed into my front two pockets would look a hell of a mess. I would never carry a wallet or phone in my back pocket and don't like the big dangly chain look. So I spread it about, usually the flat things in the jacket inside pocket, the keys and lumpy stuff either in the trouser/jeans pockets or slash pockets if wearing a jacket such as my Highwayman.
As for 'shine through' Craig mentions above, I usually only zip a jacket a third or less so this does not present a problem either. Any suit or dress jacket I tend to leave the pockets(all) stitched up as new because I think nothing looks worse than lumps and bumps should a photographic opportunity present itself.

yakima

One of the Regulars
The amount of stuff we all have to carry around these days can be a problem.

I've never used a wallet - always figured it was the easiest way for everything valuable to get stolen at the same time.

Used to just keep a few cards in my jeans pocket. Last year I decided that I needed something better, but not too clumsy - so I got Sleeping Dogs Leather to make me this little card carrier out of oil-pull hide.

Much less bulky than a "billfold" type wallet - I get around 6 cards, plus a little folding money in the back. And it fits easily into my jeans pocket. Keys and loose change in the other one.

I9AOSB.jpg

For my phone (I'm a none social networker, so a small one suits me), I tend to wear "workshirts" all of the time, so always have a spare top pocket.

So no inside pockets for me - but each to his own. It all makes sense ;)

Zakalwe

New in Town
Hi folks, thought I’d resurrect this thread rather than start a new one - I’ve been reading over the forum recently as I’ve placed an order for my first Aero jacket, a Board Racer in FQHH. I use internal pockets on most jackets I own, but I understand it’s not fully desirable on a slim jacket likecthe BR and I’m willing to forgo them. I just wondered how usable the front chest pockets are; are they deep enough to actually put a thin wallet or passport in from time to time, or are they more for show?

Cheers!

Hi folks, thought I’d resurrect this thread rather than start a new one - I’ve been reading over the forum recently as I’ve placed an order for my first Aero jacket, a Board Racer in FQHH. I use internal pockets on most jackets I own, but I understand it’s not fully desirable on a slim jacket likecthe BR and I’m willing to forgo them. I just wondered how usable the front chest pockets are; are they deep enough to actually put a thin wallet or passport in from time to time, or are they more for show?

Cheers!

I found the front chest pockets to be extremely unusable. The pocket bags are deep but the openings are too narrow for anything but a cell phone to fit through - At least I couldn't find a wallet small enough to fit. And because the jacket is so trim fitting, anything you put inside feels uncomfortable and bulges out worse than an inside pocket ever might. Oh, and getting stuff out is a nightmare, especially if the jacket is FQHH. IMO, they're just for the show.

Zakalwe

New in Town
Haha, I did suspect that might be the case. I guess I’ll need to decide on inside pockets then. I only tend to carry a phone and tiny wallet so they go in my back pockets if I’m not wearing a jacket - but always use the inside pockets if I do. Decisions..

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it!

Haha, I did suspect that might be the case. I guess I’ll need to decide on inside pockets then. I only tend to carry a phone and tiny wallet so they go in my back pockets if I’m not wearing a jacket - but always use the inside pockets if I do. Decisions..

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it!

I was talked out of an inside pockets on an Aero twice and regretted it each time. I dunno, lining pocket is the one I always use the most on every jacket I own that has it. And I've had many cafe racer styled jackets and never ever used chest pockets. Angled, long pocket on a cross zip jacket is fine but the ones on CR... Not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot