Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Jacket lining question

Nizdar

New in Town
I wanted to get some input. I am considering an Aero Highwayman for use in cold New York City weather (I have a light lambskin for 55 degrees F and above). As many know, the weather here in the winter is generally in the 25-35 range, and can get as low as the teens with some frigid winds.

Since the cotton lining is definitely out, I am left to choose wool, worsted wool, alpaca, and sheepskin. I am pretty sure sheepskin is out since it is massively bulky, and probably too warm. Of the other choices, what would you guys advise? Mark says Alpaca is no good for temps above 65, which is not a problem for me, but I have heard that wool is more durable. I should probably mention that I often go out with nothing under my jacket but a t-shirt.

Any other random advice for possible customization, or anything an Aero first timer should know would be appreciated.

Rufus

Practically Family
The alpaca is great..My lining is 2 years old, has constant wear and is fine.

Some people have commented that they find the alpaca scratchy (I don't), but just thought I should mention this if you're only wearing it with a t-shirt..

As my Mum would say..wrap up warm, ye'll catch your death. lol

Peacoat

Bartender
We had this discussion a week or so back. Try this link:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37978

This ought to answer most of your questions, or it may raise more than it answers! If you still have questions, post them. Bottom line for you probably is the Alpaca or the Stewart lining. The Alpaca is very thin--no bulk, but fairly warm. I can't get my hands on it right now, but I believe the Stewart is also relatively thin and warm.

matei

One Too Many
I just had a similar question... I ended up going with the Royal Stewart Tartan... it looks great in the pics, I can't wait for the jacket to arrive.

Nizdar

New in Town
Peacoat said:
We had this discussion a week or so back. Try this link:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37978

This ought to answer most of your questions, or it may raise more than it answers! If you still have questions, post them. Bottom line for you probably is the Alpaca or the Stewart lining. The Alpaca is very thin--no bulk, but fairly warm. I can't get my hands on it right now, but I believe the Stewart is also relatively thin and warm.

Thanks a lot for the link. I vaguely recall reading the post when I was reading for some general Aero info. As it is, I'm not so sure it settles too much for me. The general consensus is that they are both not too bulky, and they are both warm.

Let me put it this way. If I'm outside in a Highwayman, Stewart lined with storm cuffs in 15-20 degree weather, will i be cold if I am just wearing a t-shirt?

If not, seems like I should go with wool. If anyone thinks I would be cold, would Alpaca help?

Thanks a lot guys. Btw, opinions on the bi-swing back, functional and aesthetic, would also be appreciated.

Here is a pic of my heavy HH Aero Longshoreman lined with shearling(sheep's wool). Similar to a highwayman. Somewhat bulky...but not excessively so..IMO. It is quite warm.
HD
100_0439.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
By Nizdar: "Let me put it this way. If I'm outside in a Highwayman, Stewart lined with storm cuffs in 15-20 degree weather, will i be cold if I am just wearing a t-shirt?"
________

I would be very cold with either the Stewart or the Alpaca linings with just a T shirt on underneath. I don't know if there is much difference in the warmth between the two. I believe I remember your info says you are in the City? During my time there in the winter, I needed a sweater under a peacoat at night when the temps were 10 to 25. As I remember, that was a pretty standard night time temperature in the winter. And a peacoat is a whole lot warmer than either the Stewart or the Alpaca.

If you want to wear just a Tshirt under the jacket, what HD has pictured may be the thing. Warmth without too much bulk. A very nice compromise.

Norwayman

New in Town
I have a Highwayman in FQHH with alpacca lining, and it is perfect down
to about 10 degrees Celcius below cero - what that is in Fahrenheit I don't know....
To me the alpacca is not itching at all, it feels like "silk soft wool", just with
a t-shirt under.
In Lillehammer these days, it is 22 below cero.............

Peacoat

Bartender
-10 C is 14 F. That is way to cold for me with just a Tshirt under a jacket, or even a heavy coat. Of course I don't have extra natural insulation on my body, either.

-22 C is about -8 F.

Lear

One of the Regulars
As far as I'm aware, when it comes to Aero cotton twill lining, only black and brown are advertised. However, I do recall someone mentioning a red cotton twill. If that's the case, are there any other linings that are kept secret, to only ever be referred to in hushed tones.

For me, it has to be the twill.

Lear

JLStorm

Practically Family
I just talked to Will this morning regarding this very topic. I am having a custom jacket made and wanted something that would work in temperatures between 28F - 50F degrees. I wanted something as warm or warmer than the alpaca, but not too warm (I have my b3 for colder days) and extremely durable. Will advised me to go with a quilted lining overlayed with the cotton drill lining. Its not as fancy looking as alpaca, but its warm and extremely durable.

If you want to go warmer than that, they could put cotton drill over alpaca, or corduroy over a quilted lining. That was just too warm for me though.

Lear

One of the Regulars
^Fascinating what you learn on this forum. Thanks JLStorm. I also remember someone talking about a tweed lining. That would make one heavy coat!

Lear

ron521

One of the Regulars
When I lived in Chicago, there were some days during the Winter when temperature would be in the -10 F range, I even saw -20 F sometimes. And many weeks with temperatures around +10 or +20 F.

What I found is that I cannot put enough sweaters or insulation to keep me warm under a leather flight jacket, or any other jacket which ends near my belt. There is simply too much exposed area NOT under the jacket where I lose heat.

After suffering for several years, I eventually caved and purchased a down parka which reached to my upper thighs. What a difference! With the parka and insulated boots, I could stand ankle deep in snow and literally "laugh at the cold" (I found that if you do this, people waiting for the train near you look at you strangely and move away). You could easily wear the parka with just a T shirt, and still be comfortably warm, especially if you were active.

In reference to a lining for an Aero, probably no available lining will be warmer than shearling, but if bulk is an issue, I'd suggest not choosing the lining for warmth, but for its texture, that is, how does it feel against your skin when worn with just a T shirt?

If you do run up against a chilly day, you can always put a microfiber "fleece" pullover on under the jacket, which will help a lot. My best results were with an Old Navy pullover, better than any knitted sweater of wool, polyester, acrylic or other fiber that I tried.

By not relying on the jacket exclusively for warmth, you make the jacket more useful over a wider range of temperatures.

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran