Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leathers New MC Jacket - Excelsior

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
A little much for me. I think Aero do better with simpler styles personally. If I were getting a cross zip from Aero I'd definitely go with the Hooch Hauler over this.

Wanted to comment how the jacket reminds me of the early Sears Hercules but this is an even better example. Isn't it how these jackets originally started? I don't think there even was a traditional kidney panel, only half belt and then the belt was added.

Aero's collar is emulating Hercules really well. I like both Avro and this, there's no need for comparison considering they're both essentially repros of an existing jacket.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Wanted to comment how the jacket reminds me of the early Sears Hercules but this is an even better example. Isn't it how these jackets originally started? I don't think there even was a traditional kidney panel, only half belt and then the belt was added.

Yeah that's it. Like the Hercules halfbelt with the side cinches close to the hem instead of at the height of the halfbelt, it's a design success in terms of draft and a design failure regarding the halfbelt.

Mich486

One Too Many
Aero's collar is emulating Hercules really well. I like both Avro and this, there's no need for comparison considering they're both essentially repros of an existing jacket.

I’m pretty certain that collar is the same they originally made for the LVC collab jacket ruff’n’ready/bird of prey. I’ve requested the same lapels shape on my modified Hooch Hauler and they look very similar.

Don’t think the Avro took much inspiration from the Hercules in the pictures I posted earlier to be honest. The front is very similar to a Beck cross-zip (666 or 333 can never remember) the back does its own thing. Still they are both d-pocket jackets with a fronted belt+half belt so I think it’s fair to make a comparison. The Aero is like the brother that didn’t go to college of the two. :)

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I’m pretty certain that collar is the same they originally made for the LVC collab jacket ruff’n’ready/bird of prey. I’ve requested the same lapels shape on my modified Hooch Hauler and they look very similar.

I thought the same thing when I first saw this thread and I checked, the collar is similar but not identical.
The stitching is the same, the dimensions appear to be roughly the same, but the angles are different. It does look like this is where the design of the new collar came from, though.
Having worn this one, I really like the collar on the Thunderbird. Together with the cut, it gives the jacket a 30s vibe that the 50s Bootlegger lacks.

kapsYr5.jpg

zROsJlI.jpg

e7QH7P8.jpg

CG7eu3i.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Imho that is the best Aero take on the aviator style. Much prefer it to bootlegger/Hooch hauler etc.

I agree. It's all put together real nice, this pattern. Can confirm that, having worn it.

I like it so much that I'm still considering whether to remove the Thunderbird print from the back or not. Not sure if it's even possible without damaging the hide. But I'm in two minds about that anyway.

Mich486

One Too Many
I owned briefly the version without the painting on the back (I find it a bit much too and I’d probably try to remove it). That however came with fake repairs which contrary to the bird you cannot remove even if you wanted.

I like the front a lot, especially lapels and pockets placement and had an Hooch hauler made with those details. At the time I was also offered a full birds of prey remake instead but I favour the Hooch Hauler back. This is to say that if anybody wants that jacket I think Aero would make it no problems.

Kuro

Practically Family
I owned briefly the version without the painting on the back (I find it a bit much too and I’d probably try to remove it). That however came with fake repairs which contrary to the bird you cannot remove even if you wanted.

I like the front a lot, especially lapels and pockets placement and had an Hooch hauler made with those details. At the time I was also offered a full birds of prey remake instead but I favour the Hooch Hauler back. This is to say that if anybody wants that jacket I think Aero would make it no problems.

That is good to know! I am always looking for one of these LVC x Aero jackets.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Yeah those fake repairs, I've seen them. Good to know that Aero would be able to recycle the collar/lapel pattern.

Any ideas how to remove the print? I know next to nothing about printing. All I can see is that it was indeed some sort of print process.
Or feel free to talk me out of it. Like I said I'm in two minds about it.

Yeah those fake repairs, I've seen them. Good to know that Aero would be able to recycle the collar/lapel pattern.

Any ideas how to remove the print? I know next to nothing about printing. All I can see is that it was indeed some sort of print process.

Alcohol usually helps but I have no clue how the print to this specific jacket was applied. But seeing how they've distressed it themselves, I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to get it off? I kinda like that thing, though! :D

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Alcohol usually helps but I have no clue how the print to this specific jacket was applied. But seeing how they've distressed it themselves, I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to get it off? I kinda like that thing, though! :D

I kinda like it, too. Without the print, it's the perfect 30s cross-zip. With it, it's kind of cool but a bit like "that jacket", perhaps.
I don't think the print was distressed afterwards since all jackets I've seen photos of had that fake 'used' look to the back print in exactly the same way, as far as I could tell. All prints looked exactly the same, including the fake flaked bits.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

What are these fake repairs you speak of?

Kuro

Practically Family
There is one person on the forums that sold one of the Thunderbird jackets and he removed the print from the back. I will see if I can find the post.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Kuro

Practically Family
LVC and Aero made a nice version of the jacket without the print on the back called "Ruff and Ready" I understand. They came in various states of distress, with some having no distress at all. I am always looking for one of these in my size.

They later continued to make this jacket but outside of Aero, the leather is different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats