Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leathers New MC Jacket - Excelsior

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
What are these fake repairs you speak of?

They're in the same spots on every rough n ready jacket. I think there was one or two on the shoulder(s), one at a pocket welt, done with olive thread and intentionally crude, made to look as if hand-stitched. Levis and RL made similar repairs on other models; some of them actually looked pretty good. On the Aero jacket, not so much I think.

I recall seeing some RL garment with a machine stitched repair mimicking the zigzag repair often seen on continental, espcially French, 20s-40s workwear.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
LVC and Aero made a nice version of the jacket without the print on the back called "Ruff and Ready" I understand. They came in various states of distress, with some having no distress at all. I am always looking for one of these in my size.

They later continued to make this jacket but outside of Aero, the leather is different.

Yeah right they made several versions. Aero made the jackets then sent them to Levis for distressing. I believe there was a story about Aero refusing a first sample that was quite distressed, with a ripped shoulder (and not just the fake stitch-up there). Or something like that.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah those fake repairs, I've seen them. Good to know that Aero would be able to recycle the collar/lapel pattern.

Any ideas how to remove the print? I know next to nothing about printing. All I can see is that it was indeed some sort of print process.
Or feel free to talk me out of it. Like I said I'm in two minds about it.

I would keep the print personally, pretty fun! :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't think that's official! They have never done that on any other Thunderbird I've seen.

From the add:

"Here is a description by the designer himself who contacted me upon seeing this jacket here on eBay: What you have here is much rarer than you think. I'm the designer at Aero who worked with Levis at the start of LVC. This is the very first sample of the Ruff N Ready. It was made undamaged and unaged using our lining and label, at this point we were only sampling and did not have a Levi label. Levi's designers did the aging on this particular jacket and made the slashes in the leather. Production models had overstitched "repairs" on the pocket corners after we talked them out of slashing the leather. This would be the very first jacket ever made for Levi's by Aero."

From the add:

"Here is a description by the designer himself who contacted me upon seeing this jacket here on eBay: What you have here is much rarer than you think. I'm the designer at Aero who worked with Levis at the start of LVC. This is the very first sample of the Ruff N Ready. It was made undamaged and unaged using our lining and label, at this point we were only sampling and did not have a Levi label. Levi's designers did the aging on this particular jacket and made the slashes in the leather. Production models had overstitched "repairs" on the pocket corners after we talked them out of slashing the leather. This would be the very first jacket ever made for Levi's by Aero."

Oh... I didn't read that but yeah... But that's just SOOO stupid! Nobody would've bought that! They'd sell a couple of jackets to people seriously into fashion and that's about it.

Mich486

One Too Many
There you go ;)

5233DABE-2A75-4996-8080-D8661531127E.jpeg
12D0E5F8-FB91-4E9A-A83C-576F7B5F196D.jpeg

Weren’t the LVC/Aero collab jackets crazy short? Like 22.5”-23” back lengths? I always thought they looked cool but the back length made them a non-starter for me.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Blue Black Goat Half Belt (now the Aero Speedway) had a 21.25" back....I lusted after that damn jacket for ages and when I finally got one, I just couldn't make it work...too short for me.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Yes, they were quite short. That's what makes the jacket work for me as I wear high waisted trousers almost every day. When worn with regular high-waisted trousers (sitting at the natural waist), you'd be surprised how short a jacket can be.
Granted that's not how everyone likes their trousers.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
LVC and Aero made a nice version of the jacket without the print on the back called "Ruff and Ready" I understand. They came in various states of distress, with some having no distress at all. I am always looking for one of these in my size.

They later continued to make this jacket but outside of Aero, the leather is different.
wow, green thread, even if someone would darn his own jacket in difficult time or in war time, probably he would at least use brown or closer color to the leather:(, if someone doesn't care enough to try color match the thread probably he would also wear the jacket with holes as is.

zebedee

One Too Many
Those fake repairs really aren't for everyone: it looks like a very unhappy seagull took a shot at it. You'd think they'd use a similar-coloured thread- it's a bit too 'Johnny Depp fixes holes in arse of jeans with duct tape', only without (presumably) the initial need for actual repairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany