Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Pioneer - First Jacket - Care?

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Just made my first quality leather jacket purchase....an Aero Pioneer Halfbelt, in brown Kudu. Apparently this is basically a deer from Africa. My question is, how to take care of the jacket and what kind of weather (rain, snow, etc) I can expose it to. Any advice is appreciated.Thanks

Is that the 38 from eBay?
Good catch and great price....
I think you don't have to do anything to it.
I also think it might have belonged to FL member Regius originally if you had any questions.
Congratulations!

I understand this is as robust a hide as steer/horse.
As such, it should do fine in wet weather. Many folks break in their Aero's by either wearing them in a good rainstorm or getting them wet in the shower...then letting them air dry over a chair back/on the ground. I'd tend to not dry it on a hanger, as the weight of the jacket plus water could potentially stretch the shoulders.

No "treatment" needed...ie, no need to spray/rub on any "leather treatments". At least not for a few years or so. I've seen and have heard from Aero about well meaning folks who couldn't resist slathering something on their new jackets to "protect them" only to end up with a funky looking greasy jacket that weighs a ton.

If/when the jacket is beginning to look a bit dry, something like Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing is a good way to treat it. I'm talking YEARS down the line for most folks. And then applied as per the directions. No need to overdo it.

From the Aero web site on "breaking in a new leather jacket" (The article refers to horsehide, but the same holds true for steer and I imagine Kudu)

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/break-in.php

Last edited:

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Yes, grabbed this on Ebay by chance. Didnt really know much about the specific. I've been looking for new 38's in the US, basically anything I don't have to get shipped from UK. Was aiming for a black jacket but this one popped up and I figured Id take a chance. Probably send it of to the dry cleaners first and then give it a wear.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Are you serious? Don't ever clean a jacket unless you accidentally fall in shit or something unpleasant. The whole point of them is to wear without treatment - especially dry cleaning. Every 5 years or so you might want to put some Pecard dressing on it. A damp cloth can be used to wipe it down. The jackets are tough - a soak in rain will cause no problems.

Hang it out on sunlight for a few hours if you want to air it out before you wear it. Other than that LEAVE IT ALONE. ;)

Echo!!!! Don't take it to the dry cleaners!
It's only been worn a few times!!!!
It's been through 2 owners in the last 9 months...
Don't do anything but wear it!!!!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Echo!!!! Don't take it to the dry cleaners!
It's only been worn a few times!!!!
It's been through 2 owners in the last 9 months...
Don't do anything but wear it!!!!

Can't understand why a great jacket like this has been through 2 owners already! I love mine. Looking at the photos in the eBay listing though, it looks like it has some thin jerky hide in the sleeves - could that be the reason?

By the way, as others have said, don't clean it or treat it with anything!

As nobody has said this yet....DON'T DRYCLEAN IT !!! :D

Just wear it. Outside. Rain and shine.
Let it air dry if wet away from any heaters/heating vents.
Don't slop any "treatment" stuff on it for another 5 to 10 years. Then just a light coating of something like Pecard's. If it needs it. Which it likely won't.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Haha. Got it. No cleaners! It says no odor / smoke etc but you never know. Should have it by the weekend. Interesting though, that you guys say its had two owners in a short period of time. Kind of concerning. Hopefully it fits / isn't defective!

winterland1

Practically Family
We are always on the search for the perfect jacket, so buying and selling is common. Sometimes you want to try a different color style size etc. Post pics when you get it. Keep your fingers crossed it is a good fit.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Yes, that is the jacket. Arrived today. First Aero jacket and I think I found my size....38 fits very well. Upper arms are a bit baggy but I think thats the overall Aero style. Chest is great, length perfect, arms good too..just have to move the button to the inside hole for more cuff room. Doesn't have the regular leather smell, almost more gamey like. Could just be previous owner smell! ha
As previously called out, the sleeve forearm area was from a jerky / flex part of the animal. It's much thinner and more textured than the entire jacket. But fairly balanced on both sleeves. Maybe some cream / wax could help thicken this area up. Or even getting it really wet / then dry to tightne up? Color is perfect for my brown atire, now I just need suggestion on a good complimenting Aero jacket in Black. PM me if you have a gently used jacket in 38 you want to sell

Yes, that is the jacket. Arrived today. First Aero jacket and I think I found my size....38 fits very well. Upper arms are a bit baggy but I think thats the overall Aero style.

Nope. There is no "overall Aero style".
Their slim fit designs (like their Cafe racer, Speedway) fit snug across the upper arms.
Other styles...like their Highwayman....are looser.
Sounds like the Pioneer is not a "slim fit" design.

... As previously called out, the sleeve forearm area was from a jerky / flex part of the animal. It's much thinner and more textured than the entire jacket. But fairly balanced on both sleeves.Maybe some cream / wax could help thicken this area up. Or even getting it really wet / then dry to tightne up? ....

Jeez. You just can't resist, can you? :eusa_doh: ;)
Do not "treat" your jacket with anything. No creams, waxes, ointments, lotions, magic powders, exotic animal dung, emollients, whatever.
Not only does it not need them, they will not "help" your jacket and potentially could harm it.
There is nothing out there you can rub on the leather to make it "thicker".
Breaking it in with some walks in the rain will help add a nice "vintage" look to the leather...but it will not "thicken" it.
Enjoy it for what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot