Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

MissTayva

One fragrance that absolutely drives me wild and smells very classic is Vetiver, by Guerlain. My husband has used it practically forever (long before I met him) and will use nothing else!

What I like about it so much is that it doesn't smell like all the 'other' men's fragrances. I think it is described as being a blend of leather, tobacco, bergamot, moss, lemon and vetiver (hence the name). It is very clean and fresh smelling.

It usually retails for about $65 for 4.2 oz., but you can find it on eBay for half the price. On occasion you can find smaller 'travel' sizes for near nothing. That may be the best route to go if you're willing to try it out.

Oh, and stay away from the Annick Goutal version, it's completely different.

I think this fragrance was first manufactured in the mid-to-late 1950s, so it definitely is "classic"!

I also think Bay Rum is a nice, classic scent!
This stuff, too:
http://www.tienda.com/bath/pop/cl-10.html

Johnnysan

One Too Many
ITG said:
Yes, Safari could easily be a woman's weakness.

Well, I was going to admit my preference for Acqua di Parma until I read this. Perhaps it's time to go shopping...

ITG said:
Can you believe I've never smelled Old Spice?

I once read somewhere that Old Spice was among many women's favorite men's cologones because it reminded them fondly of their fathers. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure that I want my aftershave to remind the object of my desire of her daddy. Too creepy. [huh]

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ITG said:
Hmmm, this sounds intriguing...are there places in the US that sell this...not for me to wear but to smell for curiosity's sake.

If you have a Saks Fifth Avenue nearby they should have most Creed scents. There are other high end shops that carry them as well. If you play your cards right you can get a sample out of them, although they're hesitant to hand out Creed samples. Creed is very strong. A little goes a long way.

Some other scents to look (smell?) at are those offered by the great American firm Caswell-Massey. George Washington wore Caswell-Massey cologne. Now that's old school! Others like Cole Porter did as well.

The English houses like Floris, Truefitt & Hill, Trumper's (try Spanish Leather) and Taylor of Old Bond offer lots of classic scents that have been around forever. I also like Equipage by Hermes. eBarbershop offers a lot of old time scents it looks like.

Oh, if you want a review of a scent, try Basenotes

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Some where in this tread is was said, “girls love the smell of Old Spice�…. but women love men that wear BAY RUM……
This is what my Dad said he would wear to the Saturday night dance back in the 30’s, and what he looked all over Paris to find after that city was liberated during WWII.

Try this link:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/exclamationperfume/rybml4.html

“Here’s sniffing at you Kid�…..

Regards,
Forrstal

MissTayva

Johnnysan said:
I once read somewhere that Old Spice was among many women's favorite men's cologones because it reminded them fondly of their fathers. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure that I want my aftershave to remind the object of my desire of her daddy. Too creepy. [huh]

Ugh, very creepy! I've actually heard women admit to that. My dad has been a lifelong user of Old Spice... and it totally reminds me of him! I could never buy it for my husband, haha!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Bay_Rum_Lime.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
That's their lime -Bay Rum isn't it?
I've made something like that before actually with Bay and Lime organic essential oils in a vodka base- a little cinnamon and ginger too. Nothing subtle about it.
You can get mentholated Bay Rum too...phew!
BT.

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
What about Yardley?

I've been lurking around here for quite some time and finally decided to join the crew. Wonderful site you've got here! :)

Anywho, I have a question to ask on behalf of my dad. We got to talking last night about all kinds of things and the question of old colognes and aftershaves arose. He mentioned some of his favorites and then asked if I could find out about Yardley for Men. I'd never heard of it, and after a brief search of the net I can find the Yardley site but it seems to be directed more at women now. There are a couple different scents available for men, but nothing close to the original that I can see. Does anyone know if the original men's formula is available anywhere? Heck, is there even anything comparable?

Thanks alot!
Scuffy

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Here you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scuffy said:
I've been lurking around here for quite some time and finally decided to join the crew. Wonderful site you've got here! :)

Anywho, I have a question to ask on behalf of my dad. We got to talking last night about all kinds of things and the question of old colognes and aftershaves arose. He mentioned some of his favorites and then asked if I could find out about Yardley for Men. I'd never heard of it, and after a brief search of the net I can find the Yardley site but it seems to be directed more at women now. There are a couple different scents available for men, but nothing close to the original that I can see. Does anyone know if the original men's formula is available anywhere? Heck, is there even anything comparable?

Thanks alot!
Scuffy

I just got some in Feb for my birthday. I love it and she will too. :cheers1:

Get the Eau de Toilette Spray Means the same as cologne

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...D=29351&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=yardley

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
CHCHNZ

Hi CanaryBird, nice to see another anti-podean here.

I actually bought some Old Spice yesterday, saw it in the Pharmacy and couldn't resist. Cheap and not quite nasty. I actually like the smell of the stuff, it's soft smooth and subtle, not at all harsh.

BT- DK via AUCK-NZ

gandydancer

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
I actually bought some Old Spice yesterday, saw it in the Pharmacy and couldn't resist. Cheap and not quite nasty. I actually like the smell of the stuff, it's soft smooth and subtle, not at all harsh.

Old Spice is the only thing I have ever used where women I did not know have mentioned to me that I smelled nice. It has happened several times. Strange because I use it very lightly, just the deoderant and occassionally a splash of the aftershave on my neck.

Long ago (1970's) Playboy did a survey of women as to what scent they liked best on a man. As would be expected some real expensive exotic stuff took first and second place. Plain old ordinary Old Spice took third, amazing the editors.

Why is it getting so hard to find the original scent anymore?

gandydancer

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
I see Old Spice everywhere. I was having difficulty avoiding it, so I bought some.

BT.

Oh, I have no trouble finding Old Spice, I just have trouble finding the stuff that smells like Old Spice, now labeled "Original Scent", especially in the anti-persperant. But then I live in a small town in the mountains these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran