Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Two Small Observations

In the US, Bath & Bodyworks carries a line of products called Eucalyptus Spearmint. Generally speaking, I avoid cologne because I know a fellow who bathes in it. I know it's the amount, but the universal negative remarks this guy generates (once he's left the room) made me swear off the stuff.
The best advice is that a scent is to be discovered, not announced.
But I do like the Bath & Bodyworks stuff. Bath gel, lotions and some oils. And I know it's only noticeable in quite close range. :) It has a... well... sweet, warm, dark & spicy sort of fragrance... and clean.
I think I read Joan Crawford quoted as saying, in describing the first time she saw Clark Gable, "he just looked so CLEAN!

Also, and this is odd, but at a certain restaurant (chain) here in the states they have Yardley English Lavender liquid soap in the washrooms. I know of several people who go to this place just to go to the washroom to use it, yet I can't find it in stores anywhere.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, the Eucalyptus Spearmint is a fantastic scent. Both my mom and I wear it. To me it seems to be a unisex scent. I love the sugar scrub in that scent and the pillow spray.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Yardley English Lavender liquis soap

Scotrace Quote,

Also, and this is odd, but at a certain restaurant (chain) here in the states they have Yardley English Lavender liquid soap in the washrooms. I know of several people who go to this place just to go to the washroom to use it, yet I can't find it in stores anywhere.!!!

Well here you go.
They have it all the time

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...ID=11558&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=yardly

Very cheao also. 3 8oz bottles for $14.95. Is this the one ??

El Jefe

New in Town
Not a toiletry, but in the spirit of the original post, without exaggeration, 90% of all women I meet over the age of about 25 are utterly captivated by the smell of my Zippo...same deal as the Old Spice, all fond memories of Da...most will grab it, open it, and just smell the fumes...not that I'd be splashing it on after a shave, mind...
In the late 80's, however, The Body Shop (in Canada, this was) had like 4 different after shave/cologne blends for men...I used to use number 3, if memory serves, I think it was called Jamaica...absolutely the most kick-butt scent...I only wore it when going out on dates or social occasions...it was very rare for ladies to not comment on how good I smelled...
Sadly, they quit carrying it many years ago.
I think maybe my wife petitioned its discontinuation when we got married...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just had a few compliments made about my scent...

As in my scent out of a bottle!! LoL. This NEVER happens to me guys. Never, ever get compliments :-( such a sad child that I am!!! LoL..!! But...I have just discovered that Gucci make a scent for men called, "Pour Homme" (how original!!) in a rather classic heavy squared blocked glass bottle, contained in a black and white checked box, looks good and vintagey! But the smell, maaaan!! it's like wearing liquid leather and Jamaican spices with cuban cigar undertones, it smells 'so good!' and vintagey. The great thing is you should be able to buy it in most of your perfume stores. But I never stop getting compliments about it. Plus you can take a two pronged attack by wearing both the aftershave and the EDT!! Just a heads up for those wanting a walk on the masculine wild side :)

I'll go and collect my marketing commission off Mr Gucci now shall I..!!!

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Bay Rum

I was recently in Ocean City, and stopped in a local Eckards Drugstore. On the shelf was a plastic bottle of Cluman Bay Rum. The bottle leaves alot to be desired, but the smell is truly astounding! My girlfriend was even suprised by it.

Chad
ps...it was only $5!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Gotta love it! I'm keeping my eye out for an old glass Bay Rum bottle, and then I can transfer the contents from the plastic one.

Brad

shamus

Suspended
I just picked up a bottle of Burts Bees Bay Rum Colonge. It's really nice, unfortunatly they stopped making it but you can find it old stock or on ebay.

about 25 bucks and worth it.

Lion

New in Town
scotrace said:
Also, and this is odd, but at a certain restaurant (chain) here in the states they have Yardley English Lavender liquid soap in the washrooms. I know of several people who go to this place just to go to the washroom to use it, yet I can't find it in stores anywhere.

Another possible source is Big Lots. I've seen it there before. Oh, and since this is my first post, Hi all.

Leo

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I've worn the same scent for years, Chanel #19 --so it has been a longtime since I haunted the scent shops -- but now I have been inspired to do so. Especially, I want to check out the Bay Rum, also that Gucci scent Paddy mentioned, and the scent Holly likes.

I used to visit Caswell Massey in NYC back in the early 70's. There was an 80-year-old lady in there who sold merchandise and I bought White Rose, which she said her grandmother wore. She said it was also a scent that Sarah Bernhardt pruchased. I love the smell of their cucumber soap and have given it to both women and men.

Alas, I have a sensitive body and so cannot bathe with perfumed soaps, and so use Old Granddad's Pine Tar Soap. I love the smell of that stuff! I have given it away at Xmas to several men, including a young Marine friend of mine, and a woman or two -- they all love it.

Don't like Old Spice because everyone in the world wore it back in the 60's and it bores me. I like some of the cleaner masculine scents. I've known a number of women who wear men's cologne because they cannot stand the over-sweet, flowery scent of most of the women's products out there.

karol

MissTayva

I came across a rather nice vintage-y smelling scent this weekend while shopping in Sephora.

It's called L'Instant de Guerlain. I have always been a fan of Guerlain's Vetiver, but I think this one is much better. It is described as "jasmine, citrus and star anise, leading to notes of hibiscus, patchouli, sandalwood, lapsang tea and bitter cacao bean."

It's quite intoxicating!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Python said:
When you guys are talking about Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren, are you referring to the cologne or after shave?
The Safari cologne is what I was referring to. I would assume the after shave smells the same but then I don't deal with aftershave myself. :)

I discovered another one I like on guys: Lacroste

green papaya

One Too Many
what are your favorite hair tonics & after shave?

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522960/199577.htm#image_1

ClubmanHT.jpg

here are some old time classics! that they would have used during the golden era, fragrances like Lilac, bay rum, etc

by Pinaud Clubman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran