Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra: Bogart v. Stylemaster

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I've been considering both of these, and I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts on the two styles (which you like better, how they compare to each other, whatever). From poking around here it seems like the Stylemaster is more popular, but I don't know why that is. I'd imagine part of the reason is the choice of readily-available colors.

Thanks.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've been considering at both of these, and I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts on the two styles (which you like better, how they compare to each other, whatever). From poking around here it seems like the Stylemaster is more popular, but I don't know why that is. I'd imagine part of the reason is the choice of readily-available colors.

Thanks.
I have three of the Stylemasters, two from David Morgan and one from John Helmer and am going to get the Willow Green from JH next. I like the Stylemaster as a dress fedora and the precreased C-crown and crown hieght to brim width I like as well as the bound edge and matching ribbon. I also am not a big fan of ordering from OZ ( many of the retailers there seem to order from the factory when they get an order and so there can be a wait as the order is filled till it is shipped and the US retailers usually only offer what they have in stock and can ship sooner many times.) and since the Bogart is not stocked by any of the US retailers I have gone with the Stylemaster. Also the Bogart is only offered in a shade of grey and black and I prefer and wear more in the way of earth tones so what has been available ( Acorn Fawn, Mid-Brown and Willow Green) suit my needs better though I now do have the Carbon Grey version from DM as well. The version of the Imperial grade felt in the Stylemaster is a nice smooth light wieght variety ( as opposed to it's heavier variety in some of their other hats) and the creasing is very nice and smooth. All in all they are a nice "dress" hat. JMHO :)

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have a carbon/steel/mid-grey Stylemaster that I love. And I briefly had a Bogart.

(It was special order from Hats By The Hundred, to get it in carbon grey rather than black. After the dreaded three-month wait, it arrived... and it was black. Hats By The Hundred was willing to accept a return "because I wasn't satisfied with it", but they wouldn't admit that the color was wrong, which annoyed the heck out of me. I sold it to another Lounger rather than pay the freight back to Australia.)

Anyway, the Stylemaster and Bogart are essentially EXACTLY the same hat apart from the factory bash. I didn't care for the center-dent bash on the Bogart, though it's usually my my preferred bash: It wasn't deep, and had a curved (or maybe the proper term is arced) section on the bottom (because there wasn't sufficient height for a deep crease) that made it more of semi-center-dent.

Anyway, I like the Stylemaster better, and it's available in a lot more colors... though I went for the standard very dark grey.

job

One Too Many
Both have it. Overall the Stylemaster has more taper. The Bogart has some taper at the top. I think the c-crown does that to the Stylemaster.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I had a mid-brown Stylemaster that I wound up selling (because I bought it too small, mind you). I also have a mid-gray Stylemaster that I've had for 2-3 years now. It's a fantastic hat, and I wear mine at least once a week, if not 2-3 times.

ninman

One of the Regulars
Hi guys,

I really want a kind of formal, traditional style fedora, and I'm thinking that either the Akubra Bogart or Stylemaster might do the trick.

Thing is I'm just not too sure which to get. I like the Stylemaster because it has a tighter front pinch than the Bogart, but the Bogart has a thicker ribbon.

What do you think I should go for?

RJR

Hi guys,

I really want a kind of formal, traditional style fedora, and I'm thinking that either the Akubra Bogart or Stylemaster might do the trick.

Thing is I'm just not too sure which to get. I like the Stylemaster because it has a tighter front pinch than the Bogart, but the Bogart has a thicker ribbon.

What do you think I should go for?
Both are fine choices,that said,the "right" choice is very personal thing.Most here will suggest a visit to a brick & mortar store to try on several to see what you favor.

ninman

One of the Regulars
Both are fine choices,that said,the "right" choice is very personal thing.Most here will suggest a visit to a brick & mortar store to try on several to see what you favor.

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me. I'm just wondering which would be considered more "traditional" in the sense of what looks more like what you might consider a standard fedora (if there is such a thing).

RJR

I'm sure others will wade in but I don't think that there is such a thing as the most "traditional".I suspect that todays fedoras are generally lower crowned and have narrower brims.

ninman

One of the Regulars
I'm sure others will wade in but I don't think that there is such a thing as the most "traditional".I suspect that todays fedoras are generally lower crowned and have narrower brims.

Yeah, I really want an old-fashioned wide-ribboned fedora, and I think that the Bogart is the closest I'll get to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner