Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra: Bogart v. Stylemaster

Wesslyn

Practically Family
I'm not sure if Lock and Co is still around but if you can find one of those, you'll get a high quality "traditional" looking fedora. I've got one from the 50s. And I'd imagine they'd be easier to find in the UK, having been manufactured there. But I base this on pure assumption.
However if you're set on Akubra, think of or try to find a picture of the look you're going for and compare your options to them.
Typically i , along with most loungers, would recommend a high untapered crown and a good width of brim as fine starting specs.

Wide ribbons are my favorite because they look better on me than thin ones, but you may have noticed lots of folks here totally rock thin to medium width ribbons. And thinner ribbons are also not necessarily nontraditional.
Tl;dr, it's all a matter of what you think looks best on your head. Surely you'll get compliments from either choice.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Before you buy, a bit of reflection may be worthwhile. If you are thin with a narrow face those Akubras will look ok. But if you have a wide face or a big build with a large head, the hat will probably look off. So often I have seen people wearing a Stylemaster (and sometimes a Bogart) and it just looks wrong because if they have a broad face the taper is really obvious. It can look, in the words on one member here, like Zippy the Pinhead.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Man, I love this place......You ask a specific question.....and these folks don't only absolutely answer it....Complete with videos and pics...They ask you the right questions to help YOU decide....and they give great advice...Nowhere else in the World I tell you...

Congratulations for making the right hang......And let us know what you picked and don't forget the pics....

FL, I applaud you.....}8^))

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
I had thought about it....These gentleman are spot on....I would only consider the open crown...You can spot the difference from 50ft. One look at one of the side dents is all it takes...
I vote for the Fedora....

wedgetail

New in Town
You can always alter the stylemaster too, although I agree the crown's potential is limited by its height. I love mine though -
EampH_835_zpso940jesa.jpg

disclaimer, this is 5 years ago ;)

Last edited:

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Hey, my old thread!

FWIW, I ended up getting a Stylemaster because I felt the Bogart was too tapered. It's a great hat, but that was unfortunately before I knew that "Akubras shrink so order a size up."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner