Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have really enjoyued the center dent in my BGCD, so I put one in my tawny fawn last night.
Been wearing it today.

019xq.jpg
My favorite crease and it looks GOOD on your CD. This crease will sneak up on ya :) BTW I like that Tawny Fawn a lot! I just might have to look into finding one of those !!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I just got an e-mail from Sam at EA about availability of colors of the CD and thought some might want to know:

"Hi Michael, Thank you for your email. Currently the only colour we have in stock to send without any wait is the Bluegrass green. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. Kind Regards, Sam Menche"

RBH

Bartender
I've heard back from Sam of Everything Australian:

"Sorry for the delay in response.

"I have just heard back from Akubra and unfortunately they have advised due to increased workload they will not be making any customised hats until after Christmas.

"They have advised if you are still interested to check in 3 months time.

"I am sorry for this inconvenience but unfortunately it is out of our control."

Which means a good six months out -- which means it'll be too hot for me to actually, y'know, wear the Campdraft once I get it.

Ah, well. There are plenty of other hats out there -- and if I go with a mid-brown, I can have its brim trimmed and rebound next summer.

I heard back from Sam yesterday:.

Hi RBH, Thank you for your email, it is nice to hear from you again. Unfortunately it seems that Akubra are still not willing to make adjustments, hopefully things may change in the new year.However in regards to the bluegrass green Campdraft it is a different story.As these are made to order exclusively for me, I must order them 50 at atime and they have to be the same cut.Unfortunately brim modification on this style is not possible. I apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused. Kind Regards, Sam Menche www.everythingaustralian.com.au

I heard back from Sam yesterday:.

Hi RBH, Thank you for your email, it is nice to hear from you again. Unfortunately it seems that Akubra are still not willing to make adjustments, hopefully things may change in the new year.However in regards to the bluegrass green Campdraft it is a different story.As these are made to order exclusively for me, I must order them 50 at atime and they have to be the same cut.Unfortunately brim modification on this style is not possible. I apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused. Kind Regards, Sam Menche www.everythingaustralian.com.au

Looks like unbinding, trimming & re-binding of Campdrafts & other models is something Hats Direct or Everything Australian could do after receiving the orders from Akubra.
I know those 4-ligne ribbon binding setups are not easy to find but there got to be some to be had.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Looks like unbinding, trimming & re-binding of Campdrafts & other models is something Hats Direct or Everything Australian could do after receiving the orders from Akubra.
I know those 4-ligne ribbon binding setups are not easy to find but there got to be some to be had.
I find all this "modifying " Campdrafts and other Akubra's interesting. If the style and specifications of the hat model are NOT what one wants, why not find a hat that IS what one wants :) Sounds to me like folks are trying to get a "custom" hat on the cheap :) A Campdraft is a style of hat with certain dims and specifications, if they are not what you want, why get one? A CD with an unbound cut-down brim is NOT a CD anymore. I can see wanting to find colors no longer made, but with the specifications of the model as made by Akubra. Remember, they do not present themselves as a custom hatter, they are a production hat firm making a very good hat sold throughout the world in many different styles.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I find all this "modifying" Campdrafts and other Akubra's interesting. If the style and specifications of the hat model are NOT what one wants, why not find a hat that IS what one wants :) Sounds to me like folks are trying to get a "custom" hat on the cheap :) A Campdraft is a style of hat with certain dims and specifications, if they are not what you want, why get one? . . .
Not always easy to find a modern production hat that's in Akubra's class, or that has the untapered crown that so many of us like. And some of those vintage lids are getting ridiculously pricey.

Nothing wrong with customizing a hat to your own style, either. Remember how California customizers like George Barris used to modify '49 Mercurys and '32 Fords in the Sixties, drop in a different and more powerful engine, restyle the body, chop the top, etc.? We're just following their lead on a much smaller budget!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Not always easy to find a modern production hat that's in Akubra's class, or that has the untapered crown that so many of us like. And some of those vintage lids are getting ridiculously pricey.

Nothing wrong with customizing a hat to your own style, either. Remember how California customizers like George Barris used to modify '49 Mercurys and '32 Fords in the Sixties, drop in a different and more powerful engine, restyle the body, chop the top, etc.? We're just following their lead on a much smaller budget!
I realize that. I had a '23 T bucket that I put a 305 Mustang in, a Jaguar front end and 12" slicks on the rear but it was NOT a '23 Model T anymore :) All I'm saying is let's ackowledge a modified campdraft is no longer a Campdraft, though it IS an Akubra !! Sorta like I order my Ford with the specs they come in, and send it to a "tuner" to be modified. Yes it's still a Ford, but I did not expect FoMoCo to do the modifications. Buy your Akubra, then send it to the "tuner" of your choice but do not expect the factory to do it. If the factory offers the service, GREAT :) Merely some observations :)

I realize that. I had a '23 T bucket that I put a 305 Mustang in, a Jaguar front end and 12" slicks on the rear but it was NOT a '23 Model T anymore :) All I'm saying is let's ackowledge a modified campdraft is no longer a Campdraft, though it IS an Akubra !! Sorta like I order my Ford with the specs they come in, and send it to a "tuner" to be modified. Yes it's still a Ford, but I did not expect FoMoCo to do the modifications. Buy your Akubra, then send it to the "tuner" of your choice but do not expect the factory to do it. If the factory offers the service, GREAT :) Merely some observations :)

Many Loungers are seeking a sense of individuality and the idea that if you can get it the way you want it is part of many businesses' approach. Akubra has demonstrated that they will do runs of hats in colors other than what is normally available for that style. It represents a level of service that is above the normal production factories. The ability to order from the factory and get things the way you want is an old one. Even the car companies offered a lot more factory customs in the past. The thing is the accountants are the ones that tend to get in the way of anything out of the ordinary. I can recall in the sixties in particular muscle cars being ordered with unusual requests. Just as some of us can't afford the speed shop service, some are reticent to have to pay as much as the hat costs again to get what we want. The custome hat makers are out of my budget right now and probaly will be for a while.

One thing is when you want something it doesn't hurt to ask. The question is how does the business define itself and what are they willing to do for a customer. Price versus service is the tightrope that most businesses have to walk. When we find a place that provides good prices and good service we should trumpet the news. (I keep thinking of Jack Nicholson trying to order toast at the diner for some reason.)

frussell

One Too Many
Peer pressure made me order a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. Got it exactly seven days after receiving the "shipped" email from Sam at EA. Excellent service, packed just as securely as Hatsdirect. As noted before, this is a really hard color to photograph accurately. Still not done tweaking, but it'll be good to wear to Thanksgiving with the family. I'm liking it a lot so far. Frank
th_PB230367.jpg

th_PB230369.jpg

th_PB230371.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Looks good Frank. My BGCD was my very first hat and remains a firm favorite. I was wearing it this morning in the freezing rain we had here.

RBH

Bartender
Peer pressure made me order a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. Got it exactly seven days after receiving the "shipped" email from Sam at EA. Excellent service, packed just as securely as Hatsdirect. As noted before, this is a really hard color to photograph accurately. Still not done tweaking, but it'll be good to wear to Thanksgiving with the family. I'm liking it a lot so far. Frank

Now that looks great Frank!
I too shall be wearing mine tomorrow.

It looks as if yours has about the same shape as mine. Dont you love how the back of the brim turns up?

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

That's definately a go-with -anything color! And I like that crease you have in it, a center-dent/front pinch ? Have a nice turkey day with your family :)

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks guys. Like Rusty, I use the center dent when I need height. I need room in the crown, and sometimes a diamond just makes the crown too low for me. Depends on the hat, I've got several diamonds and C-crowns, but for now this will do fine. Our winter is too short, and I don't get to wear my darker hats much, but it's nice to have one that I can keep in the car for when it's nasty outside. David, I'd give $100 for some freezing rain. As it stands, I'm wearing my "winter" shorts most days. Have a great Thanksgiving. Frank

Back in the day, Open Roads came in 2" brims all the way to 3" brims.
I have owned 2", 2 5/8", 2 3/4" & 3" brimmed OR's. Were any of them less an Open Road than the other?

Stetson offered the service back in the heyday. All we are asking for is similar options.

T Rick

Practically Family
Frank, that looks great. I've realized my mistake in leaving my BGCD at home for my current extended trip to Florida. I'll make more room next time for it! (Of course I did bring the HeritageCD in SB)

frussell

One Too Many
Rusty - It may just be my imagination, but this CD from EA seems to have more "cup" to the brim all around, which I like very much. Some of my Akubra's have been very flat, even a Campdraft or two. Green is my favorite color, but I held off getting one because photos never really show how deep it is. I didn't want to look like a 6'5" leprechaun. It's a great shade, and will get much wear. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou