Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

MCrider

A-List Customer
Well after reading about how great the Campdraft is for quite awhile, I just pulled the trigger on a Blue Grass Green one. Hopefully it's still in stock. Now the waiting begins LOL

Well the wait wasn't as long as I thought. Just got an email from Everything Australian that the CD was shipped this morning. So hopefully some time in the next 10 days it should be in my grubby hands.

frussell

One Too Many
MC- Shouldn't be too long. I got my Bluegrass Campdraft from EA in exacly 7 days here in Southern California. So far, it's my favorite Akubra I've owned, and I've owned quite a few. Frank

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I bought one of the Deluxe Camp Drafts from Akubra earlier this year. Since then, its been sitting in its box, unworn, because I've had a hard time deciding how to block it. I kept thinking that I would block it myself as a fedora, but something in the back of my mind kept me from doing it.

Now I've finally decided that I want it blocked with a center or "cattleman's" crease. I already have several Open Roads and Camp Drafts that are blocked in the fedora style, but I don't have a Camp Draft with a center crease. And I typically wear my center creased hats at least twice as much as my fedoras. So, this weekend, off to Optimo it goes. I'll post photos when it returns.

Picture074-1.jpg

AF

Gromulus

Practically Family
I have two silverbelly Campdrafts among my "collection" and bashed a center crease in my Heritage one myself. Just takes a bit of water and/or steam.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Wait, you're having the hat re-blocked? Or you're sending it to Optimo to have them crease it? I think there is a terminology mixup here...

Ok. Maybe so. It hasn't ever been creased. I don't know if it has ever been blocked. It is still as I bought it...open crowned and a standard oval. I want it to be longer oval and I want it to be cattleman's creased.

AF

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ok. Maybe so. It hasn't ever been creased. I don't know if it has ever been blocked. It is still as I bought it...open crowned and a standard oval. I want it to be longer oval and I want it to be cattleman's creased.

AF
It has been blocked. It's an open crown at this point. You want to get it creased at Optimo unless you want to have major modifications made to the hght. of the crown and size of the brim, then you would have it disasembled and re-blocked. :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

AF

Ah, ok. The crease you can do yourself, but if you want it to be a long oval than it should be re-blocked/stretched. Blocking is simply the process of forming the felt cone into what is basically an open crown hat. Putting a crease in is just creasing (or bashing) the hat. The caveat to this would be a hat that is blocked into a pre-creased shaped (e.g.: a modern Stetson dress hat).

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Ah, ok. The crease you can do yourself, but if you want it to be a long oval than it should be re-blocked/stretched. Blocking is simply the process of forming the felt cone into what is basically an open crown hat. Putting a crease in is just creasing (or bashing) the hat. The caveat to this would be a hat that is blocked into a pre-creased shaped (e.g.: a modern Stetson dress hat).

Thanks! Yep, I want both if they can do them both. It would be more comfortable to me as a long oval and I would like it to be center or cattleman's creased.

AF

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thinking about a Campdraft for Xmas --

I have several silverbelly/cream OR and OR clones, and now my Moonstone Fed covers the medium gray dressy hat slot in my collection. And I have more than enough brown hats. So I've been back over a bunch of the threads trying to find pics of the Glen Grey Campdraft, esp. compared to the Silverbelly, and nearly all the pics posted of the GG have broken links.

Does anybody have Campdrafts in both colors, and would you be willing to post pics of them side by side? Failing that, a good shot of the Glen Grey model would be appreciated. Thanks.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Benzadmiral,
I have a silverbelly campdraft and a Glen Gray silver spur. I don't have photos available here at work but maybe a written description would be useful. The silverbelly is a light cream color. The glen gray is a mid-gray with a easily visible blue tone to it. From the photos I've seen the Glen Gray is much darker than the Moonstone but is nowhere near as a dark as a charcoal Akubra Banjo Patterson that I had before (the charcoal looks black in most lights).

Sam

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Sam. I have a carbon gray Fed w/ black ribbon, and I don't recessarily want to go that dark with a Sydney or Stylemaster. Plus the bound brim of the CD attracts me.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Thinking about a Campdraft for Xmas --

I have several silverbelly/cream OR and OR clones, and now my Moonstone Fed covers the medium gray dressy hat slot in my collection. And I have more than enough brown hats. So I've been back over a bunch of the threads trying to find pics of the Glen Grey Campdraft, esp. compared to the Silverbelly, and nearly all the pics posted of the GG have broken links.

Does anybody have Campdrafts in both colors, and would you be willing to post pics of them side by side? Failing that, a good shot of the Glen Grey model would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's a neutral/slightly blue grey.
No Silverbelly in the shot, but scroll down, Chuck Bobuck's pics are a pretty good representation - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?41496-Akubra-colour-comparison-needed

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
It's a neutral/slightly blue grey.
No Silverbelly in the shot, but scroll down, Chuck Bobuck's pics are a pretty good representation - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?41496-Akubra-colour-comparison-needed
That's great. Chuck's Glen Grey in those pics looks like my Moonstone in real life, so now I know it'll be a little darker.

One other Q about the CD: Does the brim come practically flat, or is it curled more like a snap brim, at least in the rear? I can snap down and shape the forebrim, but getting the curl I like to the rear brim is tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters