Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I think the Fed IV's going to be out for me. The crown's just not tall enough for what I want. If I choose to go with an Akubra I think it will be the Campdraft, otherwise I may try to get one custom made for the wider color options.

The crown on this Stetson Nutria conversion is 5 3/4. It gives me a deeper and more defined center crease that you can't get on the Fed unless you lower the crown height.

This hat, as creased, is nearly 5 inches tall all around and is 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/2 at the back. It's also near the Akubra Fawn color...not the color I'm looking for, though...

A_My_Nutria_01.jpg

Notice the deeper center crease with the taller open crown height...
A_My_Nutria_02.jpg

Me, wearing the hat...Although this is my favorite hat in my collection, I don't think I want another Fawnish color
Nutria_and_Black_Jacket_RC.jpg

I looked at a Bushman in our local hat shop yesterday and liked it. It comes in colours not available in the CD. I don't like the grommet for the chin strap but thought I could retro fit a wider ribbon and hide the hole. This way I can get my version of a CD in my desired Moonstone. I will buy it direct from Australia as the local hat shop wants twice the Aus price

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I looked at a Bushman in our local hat shop yesterday and liked it. It comes in colours not available in the CD. I don't like the grommet for the chin strap but thought I could retro fit a wider ribbon and hide the hole. This way I can get my version of a CD in my desired Moonstone. I will buy it direct from Australia as the local hat shop wants twice the Aus price
I believe The Hattery has the Heritage grade (Deluxe) Camp Draft in "Moonstone."

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Are the crown heights pretty close on the CD and the Fed 1V? I can't find the crown height on the CD and mine is now bashed so cannot measure.
Evidently, from what I'm reading here, the Open Crowns on the CDs are taller than the Feds. The Campraft is 5 3/4 to the Fed's advertised 5 5/8.

Evidently, from what I'm reading here, the Open Crowns on the CDs are taller than the Feds. The Campraft is 5 3/4 to the Fed's advertised 5 5/8.
I'm not sure that extra 1/8" makes much of a difference. I think the narrow ribbon on the Campdraft gives it the illusion of having a taller crown, but otherwise they're essentially the same hat with different brims. To be clear, I'm not trying to dissuade you in any way, but I wouldn't want you to spend the money on a Campdraft and be disappointed because it's not what you're expecting.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"I'm not sure that extra 1/8" makes much of a difference. I think the narrow ribbon on the Campdraft gives it the illusion of having a taller crown, but otherwise they're essentially the same hat with different brims."

No illusion.
The Campdraft is taller, and likely more like 1/4"+, too.

I can and did put a deep diamond crease into my Campdraft and can wear it down on my ears,
whereas I was hard put to manage a teardrop on my Federation IV that kept the top of the hat off my head.

No illusion.
The Campdraft is taller, and likely more like 1/4"+, too.

I can and did put a deep diamond crease into my Campdraft and can wear it down on my ears,
whereas I was hard put to manage a teardrop on my Federation IV that kept the top of the hat off my head.
I have three of each. Five of the six crowns are creased similarly, and they all fit the same on my head. *shrug*

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"I would love to own one of their hats, but the do not make this easy at all! Their site still lists only 2 sizes and also states that international shipping is $85 for orders under $500!!!
How did you do business with these people?"

I lucked onto a brand new one in my size on Etsy for less than just their shipping charge.
(How's that for an infuriatingly unhelpful post?)

AustralianGear.com currently offers the Akubra RM in brown, for considerably less than R.M. Williams, at $112.31 US plus $13.01 US shipping, but only in 55cm and 56cm sizes.

Spudman

One of the Regulars
My 58 did that too. It responded well to a hat stretcher so I think either size will probably work. I've got one in each size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's odd, as all three of my Akubras arrived a bit large. One, the oldest, has shrunken down perfectly, but the other two I'm still using the spacers. BTW, my most recent one, A Fed IV Heritage, came with a small spacer that runs all the way around the hat and works beautifully.

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
My 58, which is my usual size started a bit loose. It shrunk to being too tight quite quickly. So, I periodically put in on a stretcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spudman

One of the Regulars
Just got my Banjo Paterson and it is a snug 58 to me. I don't think the Heritage Felts are supposed to shrink much but I thought I would put that out there. I also prefer a little loose to a little snug.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
AustralianGear.com currently offers the Akubra RM in brown, for considerably less than R.M. Williams, at $112.31 US plus $13.01 US shipping, but only in 55cm and 56cm sizes.
Shall I shrink my head or stretch the hat? Seriously, I have been thinking of writing to them to get on a waiting list - if they hats are still being made. Are these pretty stiffly creased? I generally prefer open crown so I can shape them as I like.

tommyK

One Too Many
Fed, I've been on the wait list a while for Austaliangear in the hopes of getting a RM cheaper. Word is they are pre-creased

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner