Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
My Mid-Brown CD had an olive tint to it especially when out in direct sunlight. I got it back in 2009 time frame when offered by EA.
Thanks, GTDean. I wonder if the varied resellers make up their own color names as they apparently do hat names. (EG Adventurer from EA vs Adventurer from David Morgan.) But a bit of green tint would not bother me. Might change what I wear it with, but that is part of the fun.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Just received my Camp Draft in SB a few days ago. Hats Direct was supposed to have sent me the Deluxe version, but instead sent the standard (Imperial) version. However, I was so pleased with the quality of the Imperial that I decided to keep it. Of course, HD took care of refunding me the difference in price, and they did it within an hour of my notifying them of their mistake (anyone can make a mistake; and I was impressed by HD's quickness in rectifing their error).

I think the hat really works for me. This is my first open crown, so I just put in a simple diamond bash. You can see from the photos that the bash is not the most symmetrical in the world; but this is meant to be an everyday hat, and a little irregularity adds some character.

Which does lead me to ask a question: try as I might, I could not get the sides to pinch evenly. The right side will just not pinch as deeply as the left, even after I applied a little steam. Is this common, or is their some sort of trick involved. As I said above, I'm not really concerned in reference to this, because I intend it to be informal; but I would like to know for future reference.
_DSC1350a.jpg
_DSC1358a.jpg
_DSC1351a.jpg
_DSC1360a.jpg
_DSC1362a.jpg
_DSC1363a.jpg

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Just received my Camp Draft in SB a few days ago. Hats Direct was supposed to have sent me the Deluxe version, but instead sent the standard (Imperial) version. However, I was so pleased with the quality of the Imperial that I decided to keep it. Of course, HD took care of refunding me the difference in price, and they did it within an hour of my notifying them of their mistake (anyone can make a mistake; and I was impressed by HD's quickness in rectifing their error).

I think the hat really works for me. This is my first open crown, so I just put in a simple diamond bash. You can see from the photos that the bash is not the most symmetrical in the world; but this is meant to be an everyday hat, and a little irregularity adds some character.

Which does lead me to ask a question: try as I might, I could not get the sides to pinch evenly. The right side will just not pinch as deeply as the left, even after I applied a little steam. Is this common, or is their some sort of trick involved. As I said above, I'm not really concerned in reference to this, because I intend it to be informal; but I would like to know for future reference. View attachment 44450 View attachment 44451 View attachment 44452 View attachment 44453 View attachment 44454 View attachment 44455
Hard to go wrong with a CD. Looks great!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Which does lead me to ask a question: try as I might, I could not get the sides to pinch evenly. The right side will just not pinch as deeply as the left, even after I applied a little steam. Is this common, or is their some sort of trick involved. As I said above, I'm not really concerned in reference to this, because I intend it to be informal; but I would like to know for future reference. View attachment 44450 View attachment 44451 View attachment 44452 View attachment 44453 View attachment 44454 View attachment 44455
I 've run into similar issues with my SBCD. Very stiff sides not always equal amount of stiffner. Lots if dry manipulation over the stiffer side. Inside as well as outside the crown. Then lots of steam and do the same. Heavy misting with distilled water to the point of deep saturation. More manipulation. I got some results but the hat still won...

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
I 've run into similar issues with my SBCD. Very stiff sides not always equal amount of stiffner. Lots if dry manipulation over the stiffer side. Inside as well as outside the crown. Then lots of steam and do the same. Heavy misting with distilled water to the point of deep saturation. More manipulation. I got some results but the hat still won...

Thanks for the info, Bob. I'm about 2 hairs' width from having OCD, so I definitely don't want to get into an all out battle: I'm sure that the hat and I would both lose! ;-)

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Which does lead me to ask a question: try as I might, I could not get the sides to pinch evenly. The right side will just not pinch as deeply as the left, even after I applied a little steam. Is this common, or is their some sort of trick involved. As I said above, I'm not really concerned in reference to this, because I intend it to be informal; but I would like to know for future reference.

I have found hats to be rather like cats.
While some are fairly malleable, most tend to do whatever they want, and even though, with a large amount of patience and considerable effort, one can train them to do many things, they will usually do them in their own individual manner, and there are just some things that they will never do, no matter how hard you try to get them to follow your wishes. ;)

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
even after I applied a little steam.

But seriously, even though there is much truth in the posts above, a "secret" that helps considerably is:
Get it wetter.

Here''s a video of how the "King of the Cowboys" bashed his hats:
"NEVER SEEN RARE Video Roy Rogers Showing how to Block Hat"

I, myself, have usually used a sink full of water rather than Roy Rogers' method shown above.

Last edited:

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
I have found hats to be rather like cats.
While some are fairly malleable, most tend to do whatever they want, and even though, with a large amount of patience and considerable effort, one can train them to do many things, they will usually do them in their own individual manner, and there are just some things that they will never do, no matter how hard you try to get them to follow your wishes. ;)

Great way of looking at things, Jackie. I've had cats for about 30 years, so I can relate perfectly...and, despite their varying degrees of obstinacy, I loved them all.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I've always felt that if someone wants a symmetrical crease why not just go buy a block creased hat ... never been a fan of those myself ... at all

that is the entire charm of an open crown hat in my opinion ... the nonchalance if you wish

looks great on you

wear it out in the rain a couple times ... it will soften right up

these hats get better with age

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland