Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Yeah , like Eli said , Just under the sweat (between the sweat and the felt behind it) , so you can remove it later , not sticking it . You may try it a few ways , sometimes you need it all around , others just on the sides , or wherever it needs it . It's basically just peel and stick weather stripping , you can buy a roll for $3.50-$5 , plus not sticking it , you can reuse it .

Thanks Mike. I just needed it on the sides. I'm a LO. I might put some in the sides of my Newer model Stetson OR. That hat has no give in it. Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Here's after a bit of steam. I figure I'll wear it this way for a week or two then fine tune the bash. Do a little break in time. Haha

5806acb62d96ca2a2cf95ce9f9d00739.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Here's after a bit of steam. I figure I'll wear it this way for a week or two then fine tune the bash. Do a little break in time. Haha

5806acb62d96ca2a2cf95ce9f9d00739.jpg

Looks Great ! Amazing the difference of 2 3/4" Brim and approx 5" Open Crown of an OR compared to 2 7/8" Brim , and 5.5" (I think) Open Crown Campdraft . A little makes a big difference . Boy you'll LOVE that Hat !!!

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Looks Great ! Amazing the difference of 2 3/4" Brim and approx 5" Open Crown of an OR compared to 2 7/8" Brim , and 5.5" (I think) Open Crown Campdraft . A little makes a big difference . Boy you'll LOVE that Hat !!!

Yes it does makes a big difference. This hat will actually shield the sun from my eyes a lot better!!!! Such a cool hat!!!!

Now I want another! Hahaha

Cap , if you pad the sweat it normally shrinks from wear in a few weeks to where you can remove the foam ...
Weeks? Really? All of my Akubras (six...so far) shrunk down to a good fit in three to five days. But then, my head measures so close to 60 cm (the size I order for myself) that the difference isn't worth mentioning, and it's only slightly wider than a regular oval, so my head being such a close match to the size and shape of the blocks Akubra uses might work in my favor.

Cap, if this is your first Akubra I'd suggest you simply wear it (using the foam strips if you like) and, more specifically, sweat in it, and see what happens before you try to "artificially" manipulate the sweatband. You might also consider investing in a "hat jack" if you don't already have one. Contrary to what I've been told, my Campdrafts were all approximately 1/2 size too snug after the "shrink to fit" period, but a few hours on a hat jack to stretch them out just a little solved that problem, and they now fit perfectly in my opinion.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Weeks? Really? All of my Akubras (six...so far) shrunk down to a good fit in three to five days. But then, my head measures so close to 60 cm (the size I order for myself) that the difference isn't worth mentioning, and it's only slightly wider than a regular oval, so my head being such a close match to the size and shape of the blocks Akubra uses might work in my favor.

Cap, if this is your first Akubra I'd suggest you simply wear it (using the foam strips if you like) and, more specifically, sweat in it, and see what happens before you try to "artificially" manipulate the sweatband. You might also consider investing in a "hat jack" if you don't already have one. Contrary to what I've been told, my Campdrafts were all approximately 1/2 size too snug after the "shrink to fit" period, but a few hours on a hat jack to stretch them out just a little solved that problem, and they now fit perfectly in my opinion.

You covered all the bases Al , I don't sweat much now , but some are too snug , some still a little big , and I order my size (59) but I'm LO . Don't artificially wet the sweat and dry it except as a LAST Resort , and at that better be careful , and go slowly , if at all : Padding is Better over the long haul , if you need it . If you wear them they'll shrink sooner or later . A Hat Jack is a good investment , but if you're LO Cap , get a small , trust me , I know you're 7 1/4 . I need a small , and have 2 Hat Jacks that are mediums , plus 2 Made-Rite Millinery Stretchers (6 3/4 & 6 7/8) . That is money well spent . Take Al's advice !

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Thanks Zombie and Mike. I just put a little padding in it and I'm off to work.

I know it's somewhere in the Lounge, but can't find it readily. What is the consensus on the hat touching the top of your ears? I'd have to pad it more to keep it from touching my ears. But it doesn't press them down. Just touches.

Both of my CDs have almost a 6" open crown, something around 5 7/8".

Thanks Zombie and Mike. I just put a little padding in it and I'm off to work.

I know it's somewhere in the Lounge, but can't find it readily. What is the consensus on the hat touching the top of your ears? I'd have to pad it more to keep it from touching my ears. But it doesn't press them down. Just touches.

Personal preference. I can't stand to have my hats touch my ears.

addison

One of the Regulars
My Campdraft arrived today from the Hattery!!!! 8 days!!!

My Burnstain Bear hat!! Ha
717866c0b35269b910d4d2a9b53db18b.jpg

It's pretty big sized, but most say it'll shrink up on here. Might try distilled water on the sweat and a hair dryer to help it along!

My first ever dry bash attempt. The hat is very soft!!! No problems at all.

e71ad7503c751731eaf4a94a6617c892.jpg

3d9718b0c7e2cabeff14f3719f781e39.jpg

9accdbb6d28ae591b7b8d69496c952c0.jpg

a152a63212efffb4c58e93a2898db377.jpg
2d12451b3b6ee4ea8e40e1d02e467d84.jpg

The color is great!!!! I was scared it would be like a milk chocolate brown. Very nice!!!

I'm a happy Camper....Draft? Ha

Looks great!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran