Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My BGCD just showed up and my wife sent me pics...too bad I am stuck at work. Boooo.

I have seen this before but I am going to ask anyways, what is the best way to get rid of these side dents after shipping?

2013-02-21_111843_zps63b67c02.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
It looked like rain today when I walked the dogs so I wore my CD - first time in ages.

There were a couple of things about the hat that annoyed me: first, it was a warm day and all that plastic in the liner retained a lot of heat and made the hat very warm to wear (linerless now, which is much better!)

Then I remembered that the last time I wore the hat, I'd re-creased in a diamond which made the hat look really square - I didn't like it at all.

So, after getting back home, it was block back to open crown and go with a center crease instead - much more to my liking!

Here's the process - old crease | after a good soaking and sitting on the block | back to the center crease

smugshot_9281701-L.jpg

Nice thing with these hats, is that they take just about any abuse and come right back for more!

Hello all! I've been reading this thread for four days now and I'm only up to page 115, so my questions might be a bit premature but I wanted to get them down while they're still rolling around within the confines of my feeble noggin.

First, let me say I'm a relative noob with regards to fur felt hats. I mostly loiter in the Cap Faction thread because I have a preference for flat caps, but I do have one "real" hat--a Fed IV (standard/non-deluxe) that I purchased in 2008. I love my Fed IV, but I've been giving serious consideration to joining the Campdraft Confederacy and I'm requesting your kind assistance...or not so kind; I have thick skin.

My first question is for anyone who owns a Fed IV and a Campdraft (or anyone who knows the answer). Are the blocks similar with regards to ovality? The reason I ask is, in relation to my Fed IV I have a bit of a "wide oval" head. Being a noob it took me a while to figure out why it looked different on my head than it did when it wasn't--my head, being slightly wider than the hat's crown, distorts the front of the brim slightly but noticeably. If they are blocked similarly, can/should I request a "slightly wide oval" hat when I place my order? By the way, I don't really consider this to be enough of an issue to order a custom-blocked hat, but I'd like to avoid it with a minimum of fuss if possible.

My next question is more a matter of opinion than fact, specifically with regards to color. My two "practical" reasons for wanting a Campdraft are rain protection and sun protection. Now, although I love the styles of the 30s and 40s I'm really a "child of the 60s" with a blue-collar background. As such, my usual mode of dress is tee shirts and blue jeans (I've worn a suit twice in the last five years). I live in the Los Angeles area of southern California, where we don't get ridiculous amounts of rain but do get the occasional downpour, so my "rain gear" consists of an olive drab M-65 field jacket. Normally I'd have ordered a Bluegrass Green Campdraft to match that jacket, but since they've become as rare as hen's teeth that's clearly no longer an option. So, since I'll be wearing it for sun protection as well, naturally my thoughts are the lightest color (i.e., Silverbelly) would be best. It won't match my jacket, or anything else I wear for that matter, so why not get a hat that matches nothing rather than a hat that matches a few things? Besides, I really like the look of the Silverbelly. :D

And before anyone asks, I can't afford more than one. Back problems have put me in the "disabled" category, and disability pay sucks.

Which brings me to my next question--Everything Australian, or Hats Direct? I've read quite a few comments in this thread that the customer service at EA was...well, less than stellar...and the three-month wait puts me off a bit as well. The $40-$45 price difference (including shipping costs) is an issue for me, but I'd happily pay it for a problem-free transaction. And, as I mentioned above, I'm only up to page 115 of this thread and those comments are now three years old--has EA's customer service improved during those three years?

And, finally, sizing. My Fed IV is a size 60 and, after the traditional shrinking of the sweatband, fits perfectly in my opinion. Should I order my Campdraft in the same size? Or would that question better be addressed to whichever vendor I decide to purchase my hat from?

Yeah, I'm not asking for much. :behindsofa: But I welcome any and all comments, advice, suggestions, thoughts, opinions, experiences, ridicule, verbal abuse, whatever you're willing to offer. BTW, I'm a night owl (it's about 3:00 a.m. here currently) so if I don't respond to questions or comments immediately please don't take offense.

Last edited:
Zombie-61,
The block is different but the Campdraft molds to your head shape rather quickly, at least all 5 of mine have, 2 are Heritage, rest are Imperials.
The Silverbelly color will go nicely with your olive-drab rain jacket. It has enough earthy tones to go with olive, green, brown, etc.
Tawny Fawn is also an option = not too dark.
I've bought from both EA & Hats Direct. EA is the way to go, especially if they have your size & color on hand.
HTH

elveston

Familiar Face
Zombie,
I also have a Fed IV and Campdraft in size 60. I seem to be a long oval, but both hats eventually conformed nicely. And, I have ordered from EverythingAustralian, HatsDirect, and AustralianGear. EA and HatsDirect have always been pretty quick on shipping and provide good customer service. EA is usually cheaper by $20 or more, but don't carry all the styles (Heritage Feds). AustralianGear sometimes has the best prices on their in-stock hats and has "free shipping", but it varies ... may pay to check on them. Shipping has seemed to be slower (nothing is free?). No real problems with any of them so far.
If you've never seen the Bushman, you may want to give it a look. Only one color, but goes well with Olive Drab. It also seems a little larger than the Fed and Campdraft, with about the same brim as the Campdraft. It's become one of my favorite working hats.

See, I knew I was asking the right people! :yo:

The block is different but the Campdraft molds to your head shape rather quickly, at least all 5 of mine have, 2 are Heritage, rest are Imperials.
The Silverbelly color will go nicely with your olive-drab rain jacket. It has enough earthy tones to go with olive, green, brown, etc.
Tawny Fawn is also an option = not too dark.
I've bought from both EA & Hats Direct. EA is the way to go, especially if they have your size & color on hand.
HTH
My Fed IV molded to my head as well; it just warped the brim slightly in the process. Realistically, it's not as big a deal as I may have made it out to be--if I get one, I'm hoping it will eventually develop the patina of a well-used "beater" hat, so a warped brim would only add to it's character. I had considered the Tawny/Taupe Fawn color, but it's most definitely a brown hat and, since I already have a dark brown Fed IV, I decided I wanted something other than "another" brown hat and I think the very light color of the Silverbelly will fill that bill nicely.

Your comment about EA sounds confident, so I'll probably buy from them and wait it out. If my luck runs as it usually does, I'll only have to wait five months before receiving a hat that's the wrong size, the wrong color, or the wrong hat. :lol:

I also have a Fed IV and Campdraft in size 60. I seem to be a long oval, but both hats eventually conformed nicely. And, I have ordered from EverythingAustralian, HatsDirect, and AustralianGear. EA and HatsDirect have always been pretty quick on shipping and provide good customer service. EA is usually cheaper by $20 or more, but don't carry all the styles (Heritage Feds). AustralianGear sometimes has the best prices on their in-stock hats and has "free shipping", but it varies ... may pay to check on them. Shipping has seemed to be slower (nothing is free?). No real problems with any of them so far. If you've never seen the Bushman, you may want to give it a look. Only one color, but goes well with Olive Drab. It also seems a little larger than the Fed and Campdraft, with about the same brim as the Campdraft. It's become one of my favorite working hats.
I looked at Australian Gear's website; their current prices aren't much less than Hats Direct's (even after you figure in the free shipping) and, more importantly, they don't currently offer the Campdraft in my size. I had considered the Bushman and the Squatter, both of which are very similar to the Campdraft, but after reading this thread and seeing the Bluegrass Green and Silverbelly CDs my mind was made up. I hadn't even considered a green hat, but after seeing the photos in this thread I really wish the BGG was still available. Then again, if it was still available that would only have made my decision (about which color to get) more difficult, so maybe that's a good thing. ;)

Thank you both for your kind assistance, I truly appreciate it. And if anyone else wants to chime in, I'm still listening.

Edit 05/24/13: Well, I'm still going through this thread (now up to page 200!), lookin' at all the purty pitchurs and readin' 'bout everyone's experiences and opinions, and one thought is going through my head--does the color of the Silverbelly ever photograph the same? Or accurately? Seriously??? I guess I'll find out what color it really is when I open the box.

On that note, I love my wife. I first mentioned my interest in the Campdraft to her about a week ago. At that time I had only looked at the Hats Direct website for pricing, and told her what it would cost. Her reaction was, shall we say, less than favorable, correctly pointing out that I rarely wear "my other one" (referring to my Fed IV). Fast forward to this morning; before she left for work I told her that I wanted to buy one and, in an attempt to reinforce my position, explained that I'd found the same hat on another website (Everything Australian) for about $45 less, but that the trade-off for the lower price would be a three-month waiting period before I'd receive my hat. Expecting a response to the effect of, "Can we discuss it after I get home from work?", to my surprise she simply replied, "Well, if it's only a $45 difference..."

:shocked: :whoo: :hug:

I still ordered it from Everything Australian. As of this morning, the price difference (including shipping) was actually $49.24. To save nearly $50 on a "luxury" item, I can wait.

Last edited:

carranty

One of the Regulars
See, I knew

Well, I'm still going through this thread (now up to page 200!), lookin' at all the purty pitchurs and readin' 'bout everyone's experiences and opinions, and one thought is going through my head--does the color of the Silverbelly ever photograph the same? Or accurately? Seriously??? I guess I'll find out what color it really is when I open the box.

I have two Campdrafts, a bluegrass green and a silverbelly. I like both but find I wear my silverbelly far more often, it just goes with everything, except maybe a white suit. Now I've owned it for a while I can see that most of the photos are quite accurate. It looks considerably different in daylight than indoors. Indoors I'd almost call it a mid beige, under fluorescents a light tan, but its outdoors that I see where the name silverbelly comes from. In some photos it looks white, it isn't, even in the brightest sunlight you wouldn't mistake it for white but it is a very silver/tan colour. Personally I love it and wear it nearly everyday. You have to be careful with it though, as you'll notice dirt on it far easier than on your fed IV (so use the windcord to keep it blowing off your head and landing in the mud!).

When I wrote that comment about the Silverbelly I was half commenting on it's drastic color shift, and half crackin' wise. I'm far from being a noob when it comes to posting on forums, but I still occasionally forget that my humor often comes across differently in the printed word compared to the way it sounds in my head. In hindsight, perhaps a well-placed smiley would have been useful. :D Still, it's interesting to me that the colors of both the felt and the ribbon and brim binding look so different depending on the lighting conditions. As for the white suit...yeah, no worries there; I can't imagine any situation in which I'd find myself wearing one.

By the way, when I wrote in my first post in this thread that I can't afford more than one, I now think I should have written that I can't afford more than one at a time. I sincerely started out with the intention of buying only one Campdraft, but that Bluegrass Green is so appealing that I'll probably buy one if/when EA does another run.

Dirt. I'm guessing I can't just throw it into the washing machine with a load of "whites", eh? ;) If I was really that concerned about it I wouldn't buy a hat that was so light in color. I won't be using it as a shop rag, but I'm not planning to baby it too much either. As I wrote above, I'd like it to eventually take on the patina of a well-used "beater" hat--neither filthy nor pristine--so a little dirt here and there won't bother me too much. That reminds me, I really need to get a hat brush. The windcord will probably be removed almost immediately because, for me, the annoyance of having to constantly maintain it's "stored" position around the crown will far outweigh it's usefulness. We do occasionally get some high winds in this part of southern California, but the vast majority of the time we get mild breezes that aren't much more violent than an oscillating fan set on low or medium.

I have to say, not only have I appreciated each and every post in this thread, but I've rarely seen a thread of any length in which the comments were so universally positive! I think that speaks as much to the quality of the membership as it does to the quality of the Campdraft. :yo:

Last edited:

Ranbro

New in Town
Blackthorn, when I originally creased my glen grey campdraft with a center crease w/o side dents it had a look very similar to a state trooper/sheriff hat; very tall and straight.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
One thing really speaks to the quality of the CD: they are almost never for sale on the Classified forum. Rarely does anyone want to part with one, once they get it.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One thing really speaks to the quality of the CD: they are almost never for sale on the Classified forum. Rarely does anyone want to part with one, once they get it.

Blackthorn you will like the Campdraft. It is a very sturdy hat. I like a hat I don't have to worry about or "handle with care" and the Campdraft fits the bill nicely.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn