Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

tommyK

One Too Many
e4a8ff1c2d6ab35482a04fd1f833541d.jpg

That is looking so good, Moon! I thought I was done with Akubra's but, between this and the bluegrass green............

Correct you are, thank you. With age comes senility.

I am cursed with a brain that retains a vast storehouse of useless information. I wish I could retain the important stuff.

That is looking so good, Moon! I thought I was done with Akubra's but, between this and the bluegrass green............

I've only had the Silver belly a couple weeks and I'm already planning on a BGG.

Yup, seems to be the consensus around here that the BGG is the "get." It seems to be a very versatile color and the hats are nice to begin with. My Silverbelly scratched an itch I had for a lighter-colored hat - I was amassing too many grays and browns. Now that I have one in-hand, er, on-head, I'm sold. Both of my Akubras are high quality hats that I look forward to wearing.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
So I posted this hat earlier in the new hats thread open crown.
Just bashed it now.

I was looking at my other two CDs and my Bushman.... And they are all center crease.

So influenced by forum member Colby Jack on pg 6 of this very thread I went with more of a stomp and a tight pinched front... Which I also have bashed into my Fed IV and I love it.

Fruno and Bob were asking about the Deluxe felt compared to the Imperial... My other two CDs are imperial .
The felt on this one is slightly smoother and the softness is comparable to my BGG that has been in many torrential downpours... In other words it's a bit softer.

Hope you dig

a4b6709ec9c23acfbf9d5c027d9a34d1.jpg

3ae8c440ecfc5dce3da168eb407b9ac0.jpg

be345d7748e6f5ec11782f6f145a4d74.jpg

9d42ca4b0de026ad08572a36c4298cb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photogravity

One of the Regulars
So I posted this hat earlier in the new hats thread open crown.
Just bashed it now.

I was looking at my other two CDs and my Bushman.... And they are all center crease.

So influenced by forum member Colby Jack on pg 6 of this very thread I went with more of a stomp and a tight pinched front... Which I also have bashed into my Fed IV and I love it.

Fruno and Bob were asking about the Deluxe felt compared to the Imperial... My other two CDs are imperial .
The felt on this one is slightly smoother and the softness is comparable to my BGG that has been in many torrential downpours... In other words it's a bit softer.

Hope you dig

a4b6709ec9c23acfbf9d5c027d9a34d1.jpg

Looks great moon. Now you have the Heritage to compare to the Imperial, what do you think? Are you of the opinion that the Heritage is worth the extra cost? I have an opinion, but haven't shared it yet. ;)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
thank you RJR

photogravity if I am honest I do not see a whole lot of difference in the felt ...
I feel that it is more smooth...
and out of the box it feels more like my Imperial that is most broken in.... probably a more detailed pouncing ?
possibly a touch more high quality ingredients ?
but the difference is not earth shattering so to speak ...

where I do see and feel a difference is in the sweat ... much better quality sweat on the Deluxe... and sweats are very important to me

if I had to nit pick anything about Akubra concerning the CDs I would say that I wish they would pay just a bit more attention and tighten up on quality control when it comes to the ribbons and bows....

not that they are horrible ... they are fine and anyone that is not a hat geek like most of us would never notice a thing ..

but you probably know what I'm saying ... sometimes they are stitched just a hair high for me ... and the bows sometimes are just a tad sloppy..

that is coming from a self proclaimed picky stitch counter :)

but yea... the difference is not huge in the felt ... it is noticeable to those of us in the know...

is it worth the difference in $ ?.... thats subjective I think

it is worth it to me ... especially when factoring in the really beautiful sweatband that comes on the Deluxe

hope this answers your question ... sorry for the ramble

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
"Ramble On!" Lol. As you kno my biggest concern is stiff crown sides. My Fed Deluxe which is the same as Heritage Quality has nice soft sides.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The ribbon on my CD is stitched a tad high. I thought this was to accommodate the width of the wind cord, so it could rest below the ribbon.

it is I am sure ... but to my critical eye it irks me at times

it really is nothing at all in the grand scheme of beauty that is the Campdraft

89quattro

One of the Regulars
it is I am sure ... but to my critical eye it irks me at times

it really is nothing at all in the grand scheme of beauty that is the Campdraft

Not trying to hijack the thread and creating a Akubra vs Stetson discussion, but the Campdraft is absolutely stunning at $84.49 compared to the $225 Stratoliner and $180 Temple I bought that both came standard with atrocious ribbon work. Needless to say they were both returned.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
No argument from me either.
I do think Stetson is making some very nice hats on the higher end... But I wouldn't buy one unless it is in person.
Akubra is probably the only modern production that I would purchase sight unseen

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
No argument from me either.
I do think Stetson is making some very nice hats on the higher end... But I wouldn't buy one unless it is in person.
Akubra is probably the only modern production that I would purchase sight unseen

The absolute ONLY current production Stetson I like is the Stetsonian. I believe it's their highest/fattest/ biggest open crown with little or no taper. I do NOT like taper...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats