Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sydney: A Review

carldelo

One Too Many
Nice job

Nice job with the bash, Roadrunner - glad you picked it up, it looks good. You make me wish I'd bought a Sydney as well. But I bought a hat stretcher today instead to fix up my old gray trilby, I plan to take some pictures of the process. I am toying with picking up a Stetson Chatham in tan or gray before the noggintops coupon code expires tonight.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Nice hat, fellow Akubra Sydney wearer. :eusa_clap ;)

Roadrunner said:
It's not very stiff, but even though it's dry now the pinch seems to be holding. [huh] Hopefully it sticks, I like it.

The front pinch on mine has stayed in place. Only the top crease has a tendency to "creep" (for lack of better word[huh] ).

Goose.

Practically Family
OLD THREAD ALERT :)

Well...some of you may recall that I mentioned my Sydney was originally a 59 but seemed to fit, though a bit snug. The store I bought it at about a decade-plus ago only had a 59. Guess my head has gotten fatter, the hat shrunk a bit or both...it got tight.

Want to get a new one (size 60). Not certain if I will do that before I after my next "wish list" lid...a Hampton.

Here's the question, my old Sydney has a liner that says "Imperial" on it. Has the hat material changed? Seem to read here and there; The fur felt is a lighter weight felt, using a special selection of finer fur, but otherwise similar to Akubra's Imperial Quality felt.

If it did change, then I am REALLY bummed as I just gave (read as "free") to a friend that really admired my Sydney as I told him was getting another one that fit.

So, has the felt changed over the years, or can I still expect my new one to be as nice as my old one?

MattJH

One Too Many
There are two differences I know of between David Morgan's "Sydney" and HatsDirect's "Fedora" - the latter comes with a red liner and a wind trolley while the former does not.

carldelo

One Too Many
Dumbjaw said:
There are two differences I know of between David Morgan's "Sydney" and HatsDirect's "Fedora" - the latter comes with a red liner and a wind trolley while the former does not.

The Sydney I bought last spring from Noggintops had no wind trolley as you mention, but it did have the sexy red liner.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
Can you get this hat in light grey with a black band from anyone? I personally prefer this to the near black colour.
The Sydney is available through David Morgan, who distributes it to other authorized dealers in the US. The two available colors are charcoal (just shy of black) and regency fawn.

If you order from an Australian vendor, however, it is known as the "Fedora" model and is available in carbon grey, fern green, and burnt oak. The carbon grey one is pictured like this from the Akubra factory website:

hat_fedora.jpg

That's quite a bit lighter than charcoal.

Although it comes with a matching ribbon, I suspect you can special order it with a black ribbon if you're willing to wait for it. Another FLounger recently ordered a Stylemaster with black ribbon.

Goose.

Practically Family
Dang it! (regret the potty mouth)...I should've taken pics of the inside to post.
Sweatband definitely stamped "Sydney" and liner at the crown w/ logo saying Akubra Imperial. Thinking 99.9% sure it was a white satin liner though.

Along with the pic of the Sydney in my avatar, here's a pic of my buddy wearing it the day I gave it to him. He's a Stetson 100X Beaver kind of guy but was really impressed with this Sydney. And, quite frankly, he's a good guy and deserved a token of appreciation for being so...

Click the pic:

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
So, has the felt changed over the years, or can I still expect my new one to be as nice as my old one?
I've been to the DM showroom a few times recently and have handled and tried on some Sydneys. I can't speak to how they compare to previous ones, but I can say that the Sydney is one of the most comfortable fedoras I've ever put on my head. The crown felt is softer, but given how rugged the David Morgan gear is and how good his quality consistency is, I'm sure that the Sydney is very rugged as well and would hold its shape over time.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Until I receive my two Stylemasters from Everything Australian (they're due today, but no word yet on when they'll actually arrive), my charcoal Sydney is my favorite hat. The felt on mine is listed on the liner as "Imperial Quality," but it was pretty stiff when I got it. It's loosening some now with repeated wearing, but I like a touch of stiffness to my hats -- I don't want them to lose their shape -- so that's fine by me.

I don't know where it was originally purchased, as I bought it from a denizen of this board.

I wish the ribbon was wider, but that's my only complaint. I'm tempted to buy another, as I'm in need of a grey hat -- I'll hold off, though, until I see what I think of the Stylemasters.

Unfortunately, EA seems to carry the Fedora only in sizes 61 and lower, and I need a 62 or 63, so if I do decide to purchase another Sydney/Fedora, I'll have to look elsewhere.

Here's a shot of me in the Sydney:

sydney.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
skyvue said:
...my charcoal Sydney is my favorite hat. The felt on mine is listed on the liner as "Imperial Quality," ...
I don't know where it was originally purchased, as I bought it from a denizen of this board.

Thanks all for your replies and knowedge.

Skyvue...how long have you had it and what color is the liner?
Great pic and look BTW :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
Skyvue...how long have you had it and what color is the liner? Great pic and look BTW :)

Thanks! I've had it for a year or more, but only have been wearing it as my primary lid for a few months. I had to work my way up to a 2.5-inch brim.

The lining is red, but it says "Sydney" on the sweatband, so I don't know which vendor it came from.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Bulls Eye!

Thanks for the Sydney review, NonEntity.

I'll take one in grey, please, Sig Sauer, no Browning, lol - which is a moot point anyway because if the local Sheriff finds out I was Wear'n* and Carry'n* my licence(s) would be revoked.

* High crowns are licensed under Iowa law lol!

* Carry'n in "Lounge" type establishments is not allowed by the Sheriff in this county :p.

Goose.

Practically Family
Well...I guess I'll be ordering a Sydney (charcoal) from DM.
Wait, maybe a Traveller.
Or a Casual.
What to do? What to do? Good to have choices, but confusing.

Someday, if I can find a retailer that doesn't have a three month wait for a Hampton I'll have to get one of those.

But for now, it's one of the three... I'll have to sleep on it.

Back to the orgin of this old thread...I loved my Sydney for over 10 years. Great hat...just got an excuse to get one that fits a bit better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic