Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers "Indiana" jacket

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
I have just seen the AL Indiana. I cannot get the thought out of my head of this version of the jacket done in black waxy steerhide with a nice tartan lining.
Now I fully understand why you guys get the heebee geebees about details on your WWII repros.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have just seen the AL Indiana. I cannot get the thought out of my head of this version of the jacket done in black waxy steerhide with a nice tartan lining.
Now I fully understand why you guys get the heebee geebees about details on your WWII repros.

Are you saying you like the idea or detest it?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I went it checked it after reading your post....it is pretty ordinary. A good point re fly boy jackets and details. That particular jacket left me really cold,def not for me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Comparing it objectively to the original, they main thing is that the pockets look too deep - they almost scrape the hem of the jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just had a look at it. I've seen worse. Yes, the pockets are too low but Wested have made less accurate Indy jackets over the years than that and they supposedly made the Raiders jacket. I'd say this is a generic IJ jacket, closer to Raiders than the other movies.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Comparing it objectively to the original, they main thing is that the pockets look too deep - they almost scrape the hem of the jacket.

Sloan is correct regarding the larger pockets on AL's Indiana jacket. G&B's Expedition (Indy) jacket is a very close reproduction of the original, as well as Wested's version. One can see much smaller cargo pockets between the original and AL's Indiana. I am not criticizing AL since I actually prefer their interpretation of what Indiana Jones might have actually worn if he had been a real person. All smoke and mirrors anyhow. :D

http://www.wested.com/indiana-jones-9-c.asp

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293985/Expedition.html

http://www.alexanderleathers.com/vintageclassics/indiana.html

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, and there were several (3-4) used in Raiders; the pockets vary throughout the film. The main difference in the jackets of the various films are pocket size and collar. The other differences only matter to the fanatics.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if there were those in the U.S. War Department in 1932 who felt the same way about the changes and modifications and improvements between the A-1 and A-2?

Edward

Bartender
More like they didn't know the "monster" they were creating and didn't figure anyone would be that anal to count and compare. Boy did they get it wrong.

Worf

Heh. It's significant that the jacket and hat are treated as almost disposable in Raiders; at time of shooting they were yet to become iconic. It's not entirely clear whether he even gets them back, or to where they disappear between the Bantau Wind sequence and Indy donning DAK uniform in the submarine base. In the DC sequence at the end, he is wearing a grey hat... When Indy returned for Temple (albeit set a year earlier), they were now the key visual touchstone for the character, and they weren't going anywhere. No submarine controversy in Temple: when Indy awakes from the Black Sleep of Kali, we clearly see he gets the jacket and hat back... The only time thereafter we see Indy wearing a hat other than the brown one is the grey hat he wears as he leaves the University early on in Crystal Skull, bound for Europe and apparently not being Indy any longer. At least, until Mutt shows up with a well placed "Hey, Old Man!"....

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Film geeks will turn any old shite into gold with time and opportunity.

Key thing about Raiders costume for me is that it was a cheaply made bit of 1980's imitating (just) the 1930's. The jacket was poorly made out of cheap lamb with aluminum zips and the pattern was badly designed and slips all over Ford as he moves. Ask anyone at Club Obi Wan, the Indy Gear fan site. It's also why some people love the jacket. It's the opposite to Aero in every way - a film prop to be watched, not worn. Of course, if you get a properly designed and adapted version, with a tweaked pattern - whether it be by G&B or Al - and it's made of a decent hide, there's no reason why you can't go real world exploring in one. Give me a half-belt...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy