Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
(apologies if this has already been posted)

Sergey_Mikhalkov_Soviet_fighter_pilot_ww2.jpg

link

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
You are correct it is a photo of pilots from 70+ years ago and thus has nothing to do with current British politics. It's disrespectful how it's being misappropriated for cheap political point scoring.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
That's a point of view to which you're entitled, one might say that the graffiti is also highly disrespectful to their memory.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
That's a point of view to which you're entitled, one might say that the graffiti is also highly disrespectful to their memory.
No doubt the pilots in that photo would disapprove of racist graffiti. But they're probably not around to ask, so it's bad form to use their images for anything other than historical purposes.

Stand By

One Too Many
I was at the Quinte International Air Show up at RCAF Trenton a couple of weekends ago and, after a day's baking in the unforgiving sun and heat as I tried to get photos of the flying aircraft, went to the museum building on my way out to hunt down the H.P. Halifax there (one of only three left in intact condition! And it's bigger than I expected! Really good to see).
And in a glass display case was this Irvin - with a very interesting period repair to the front panel! I can't imagine any of us being happy with this repair job if we needed a repair on our Irvin front panel ... but it's authentic!
And it has a Lightning zip.

TrentonIrvin1.jpg
TrentonIrvin2.jpg
TrentonIrvin3.jpg
TrentonIrvin4.jpg
TrentonIrvin5.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The jacket dates to 1942-3 and the repair is post War. The Lightning main zip is not the variety used on Wartime Irvins. Refurbishment of Irvins was usually carried out to a high standard by AM contractors, using similar colour skin and this "repair" was done to increase the size of the jacket. The zip is now off-set as seen on 1970s civilian jackets and it was most likely adapted during that decade.

Last edited:

alfyman

One of the Regulars
D.G. LTD IRVIN SIZE 5

This thread has been relatively sleepy recently so I thought I might try to wake it up with this post! D.G. Ltd or D.G.L (London) made some of the best quality Irvins supplied to the RAF. They were in the premier league along with Irvin Air Chute. This newly acquired jacket dates from around 1942 and is typical of mid War construction with the four panel front and back.

The jacket is in remarkable condition with very few signs of wear. The stitching is straight and secure. The cooper-coloured fleece is rarer than the more normal honey coloured variety. As a size 5 its a decent fit and very comfortable to wear.

The zips are all made by Lightning and the "W" on the sleeve zips denotes that they were made at Witton in Birmingham. The main zip is interesting and unsual in that it fastens the American way. Apart from the elastic collar strap everything is original to the jacket. It has had one light coat of Pecards to protect the leather.

001-25.jpg

002-30.jpg

003-33.jpg

004-25.jpg

005-29.jpg

006-32.jpg

007-30.jpg

008-34.jpg

009-37.jpg
Beautiful Jacket..

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I was at the Quinte International Air Show up at RCAF Trenton a couple of weekends ago and, after a day's baking in the unforgiving sun and heat as I tried to get photos of the flying aircraft, went to the museum building on my way out to hunt down the H.P. Halifax there (one of only three left in intact condition! And it's bigger than I expected! Really good to see).
And in a glass display case was this Irvin - with a very interesting period repair to the front panel! I can't imagine any of us being happy with this repair job if we needed a repair on our Irvin front panel ... but it's authentic!
And it has a Lightning zip.
Thanks for mentioning that Trenton has a museum. When I was on the tow rope course with Air Cadets in 1990 they gave us the run of the base but I didn't realize they had a museum. The next time I'm heading up to Ottawa I'll make sure to stop.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wondered about the repair - it would have have expanded the chest and the collar by a fair few inches. I guess somebody really wanted to hang on to it, no matter what.

Stand By

One Too Many
The jacket dates to 1942-3 and the repair is post War. The Lightning main zip is not the variety used on Wartime Irvins. Refurbishment of Irvins was usually carried out to a high standard by AM contractors, using similar colour skin and this "repair" was done to increase the size of the jacket. The zip is now off-set as seen on 1970s civilian jackets and it was most likely adapted during that decade.

As for my previous assumption that it was a "period repair" and "authentic", I stand corrected (as said the man in orthopedic shoes. ba-dum, tsss!). And now you mention the off-set zip/front panel, I can see now what you mean!
Thou art a font of knowledge, Andrew. It's what makes this place such an education.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks for mentioning that Trenton has a museum. When I was on the tow rope course with Air Cadets in 1990 they gave us the run of the base but I didn't realize they had a museum. The next time I'm heading up to Ottawa I'll make sure to stop.

It's not the biggest of museums, but it does have the Halifax, which is very special in of itself - as once they were so plentiful and now so rare. And I was amazed by the bald tires - I'd always just thought that the old Matchbox and Airfix kits from the 1970s were just basic and hadn't captured them properly - but no. Oddly accurate! The same as the amazing exhausts. And the tail gun unit is the same as a Lancaster's.
The outdoor exhibits are nice (even a Hurricane and Spitfire) - but I felt that it's a bit sad to see them all getting so faded and weather-beaten as their liveries were once so cool and unique. They all deserve to be refurbished and displayed indoors IMO.

TrentoMuseum1.jpg
TrentonMuseum2.jpg
TrentonMuseum5.jpg
TrentonMuseum3.jpg
TrentonMuseum4.jpg

the loco

One of the Regulars
Was looking to buy an Eastman Irvin, but I found some offers from Aero, and would like to ask if an 42 Irvin with 26" sleeves and 24.5" back would fit well?

I usually wear 40, chest 40.5", shoulders around 18", sleeves 25.5", waist 38", height 6'0".

Anyone has any idea if Aero Irvin's run small or big, if the sleeves won't be too long in this particular style or if the back won't be too short.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They run pretty much to size. I would generally recommend sizing up to get them to look the part, though. Somehow, a fitted Irvin doesn't really have the same cool-factor.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Was looking to buy an Eastman Irvin, but I found some offers from Aero, and would like to ask if an 42 Irvin with 26" sleeves and 24.5" back would fit well?

I usually wear 40, chest 40.5", shoulders around 18", sleeves 25.5", waist 38", height 6'0".

Anyone has any idea if Aero Irvin's run small or big, if the sleeves won't be too long in this particular style or if the back won't be too short.
I suggest posting your question in the "Irvin repro" thread here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/all-repro-r-a-f-irvin-type-jackets.35314/, which may get you more responses.

the loco

One of the Regulars
I suggest posting your question in the "Irvin repro" thread here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/all-repro-r-a-f-irvin-type-jackets.35314/, which may get you more responses.

Oops, I really missed the thread here. To be honest, didn't notice there are two different threads dedicated to the iconic Irvin jacket.

Thanks for the information Sloan. Irvin's are my favourite sheepskin jacket, those have some classy looks to them. Not sure about wearing a longer then jacket suite bellow, which judging by the photos was customary in WW2. With a wool rollneck or shirt & tie it looks fine, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21