Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Soren, that really is a corker Andrew. The patina on the leather is beautiful. The future owner will be getting a gem of an Irvin.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Privately purchased Irvins

I have been reading adverts for Irvin Air Chute suits in Flight Magazine. The adverts begin in 1937 and run through to 1940. The suits are identical to those worn by the RAF. The adverts often say: "The suit has been ordered in quantity for the R.A.F., but it will be available for club pilots and private owners who remain faithful to the open cockpit." What sort of label did they put on these private purchase Irvins? (Presumably they would not have an AM contract number on them) Or perhaps they did not put a label on them at all?

As most Irvins no longer have their original label there is no way of distinguishing a privately purchased one from an issued jacket prior to 1940, unless one is lucky enough to know the provenance of the jacket, or it has the airman's name/service number on it. From 1940 the kings Crown and AM were usually stamped on the zip pulls. I suspect they were lacking from privately purchased jackets from this time.

aswatland

D.G. LTD IRVIN SIZE 5

This thread has been relatively sleepy recently so I thought I might try to wake it up with this post! D.G. Ltd or D.G.L (London) made some of the best quality Irvins supplied to the RAF. They were in the premier league along with Irvin Air Chute. This newly acquired jacket dates from around 1942 and is typical of mid War construction with the four panel front and back.

The jacket is in remarkable condition with very few signs of wear. The stitching is straight and secure. The cooper-coloured fleece is rarer than the more normal honey coloured variety. As a size 5 its a decent fit and very comfortable to wear.

The zips are all made by Lightning and the "W" on the sleeve zips denotes that they were made at Witton in Birmingham. The main zip is interesting and unsual in that it fastens the American way. Apart from the elastic collar strap everything is original to the jacket. It has had one light coat of Pecards to protect the leather.

001-25.jpg

002-30.jpg

003-33.jpg

004-25.jpg

005-29.jpg

006-32.jpg

007-30.jpg

008-34.jpg

009-37.jpg

aswatland

010-36.jpg

012-36.jpg

The jacket was owned by F. H. Bateman and I am trying to reseach him at the moment. Notice the Stores number is stamped on the label. It was vey rare for makers to put their name on labels at this time.

013-37.jpg

014-29.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lovely find.

Very like my DGL. You must be chuffed Andrew and quite rightly too!! well done (and just in the nick of time for Winter!)...:eusa_clap

aswatland

Thanks Paddy. Another wonderful jacket! Your jacket appears to be sligthly earlier than mine if the zips are anything to go by. The other features are precisely the same as on my jacket. Your jacket is further evidence that D.G. L London and D.G. LTD were indeed the same contractor. The style of the labels is almost identical and I bet the work-force was much the same!

rikbb

Familiar Face
yessss

that's the one!

really great.
I compared it with your earlier post
with the black sheep fur.
Obviously, thid is not black.
So, i should be looking for copper fur.

Bravo, very very nice jacket!

rikbb

Familiar Face
size 5

Hello Paddy, Andrew,

Does size 5 (original irvin) comme any close to a ELC size 42"?

thx,
Rik

aswatland

rikbb said:
Hello Paddy, Andrew,

Does size 5 (original irvin) comme any close to a ELC size 42"?

thx,
Rik

Rik, Size 5s varied in size, but having owned ELC size 42 and 44 Irvins I would say it is similar to their 42, mid War jacket, but the sleeves are longer and is the body on my D.G. jacket than ELC size 42s.

Trapp72

New in Town
Some pretty nice original Irvins. I'm thinking of picking up one as soon as I get the cash, though I doubt I'll have any real use for it in Florida.

aswatland

Trapp72 said:
Some pretty nice original Irvins. I'm thinking of picking up one as soon as I get the cash, though I doubt I'll have any real use for it in Florida.

Unless you are very lucky you will have a long wait to find an original in the condition of these two. Good luck in your search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner